It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charging for spiritual services?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Me and my wife are Wiccan and have been providing tarot reading, and other services to friends and family members. We have been told on more than one occasion that we should start a business for these services to the general public and charge for readings, spell casting, spiritual communication etc.

I am on the fence about it. Part of me feels like it cheapens the meaning of the reading, or puts a dark edge on the spell because it was cast for profit. On the other hand any extra income would be helpful to us. We have discussed some aspects such as not casting spells that would interfere with another's free will or anything that we feel would violate the rede.

So I guess I am looking for opinions from other wiccans, spiritualists, and others on their belief in the charging for providing divination, and the casting of spells.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Sounds like a heaping mess of karma waiting to happen.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jholt5638

Aren't these things considered 'gifts'?

Jesus seemed to have had a lot of them. I wonder how much he charged?

You seem conflicted by advice from others. Maybe listening to your own spirit would serve you best.

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Its my understanding that you are not allowed to charge people for these gifts.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Never charge for using ability / gift to help people ..

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

jholt5638
We have been told on more than one occasion that we should start a business for these services to the general public and charge for readings, spell casting, spiritual communication etc.

I think you might have an issue with the law in regards to 'spell casting' and that kind of thing. (not the readings and channelings ... but the spell casting) I know that there are people in this area who claim to be able to take hexes off people by doing that 'read the bloody egg' thing. They charge big $$$ for their services (hundreds of dollars). (not sure if it's voodoo or what it is ... but it is spell casting and spell removing). These folks have been prosecuted for fraud.

I have been to three different psychics over the past four years. One was VERY good. One was medium good. One was a fake cold reading. All three charged for their services. $50 for a half hour.

Some folks say that when you are given a gift, it should be freely given and used for the good of others. That is the purpose. Others say that people have a right to earn a living and, in a capitalist society, everyone uses whatever talents they have in order to earn a living. I think both folks are right. So I don't really have a comment about if you should charge or not.

Just check the laws and check with a business lawyer about the 'spell casting and spell removing' thing.
There could be legal issues.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This kind of thing needs heavy regulation, big government regulation, to ensure no one is being taken advantage of (which they, generally the most vulnerable people, undoubtedly are).

FlyersFan
I have been to three different psychics over the past four years. One was VERY good. One was medium good. One was a fake cold reading. All three charged for their services. $50 for a half hour.

How were you able to tell that one was fake? whereas the other two were legitimate?

edit on 1-2-2014 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Prezbo369
How were you able to tell that one was fake? whereas the other two were legitimate?

Let me say that when I went to them I went in 'scrubbed'. I didn't wear any jewelry or t-shirts with words or anything that could remotely tip off the person.

The one that was cold reading .... she was grasping at straws. It was easy to tell. It was so general and waaaaay off. Example- I'm in my 50's so I'm obviously starting to think about retirement and where to live. She said her spirit guides told her that I'd be moving someplace 'warm and near water', not soon, but at some point in the future. (which is the exact opposite of what we want to do with retirement). She said I have kids college age and that they are doing fine. (I have one child who, at that time, wasn't in college). She said my mother was there to speak to me and that she loves me ... (my mother is alive and we don't get along). She said I really love babies and that I might be adopting or working with young children in the future. She cold-read that because she saw me in the waiting room playing peek-a-boo with a womans baby who was also in the waiting room. There is NO WAY we will be having any more kids and my health is such that I won't be working with young children any time in the future. (I have to avoid them ... germs).

The one that was pretty good ... I would have said she was excellent but I was in a 'group reading' with the rest of my family and I think she was getting cross over from them while she was reading me. Everything she said was pretty close to being accurate and the few things she 'missed' on actually were accurate for either my husband or my daughter. And get this ... she told my adopted daughter where her birth family is from. We didn't know it at the time ... and we had my daughters DNA done through 23&me and guess what ... the psychic got it right. We found 3rd cousins of my daughters in the area that the psychic said her family was from. OH ... and an ATS CONNECTION ... while there the psychic kept saying .. who is JSOOO, is that even a name? He's here and he has a message for you. WHo is this JSOOO?? Well, there was a poster here that I was pretty friendly with. JSOBECKY. I used to call him JSO. And he had died just a short while before I went to the Psychic. She even said that I know him but I didn't .. at the same time. That's pretty accurate. I knew him from here but had never met him. He had a message for me. And the message fits perfectly. (I'll keep that message to myself).

The one that was awesome .... she said names and she said personalities and she said situations and she said what was going to happen and she got every last thing correct. She even got my medication correct and my medical issues. First time I went to her, my father had just died a few months earlier. As I was walking in, and we hadn't even gotten to the office to sit down, she said ... 'oh gosh, your father just passed. He's here very strongly. He passed from not being able to breathe. He was _____ ... etc etc ... she went on to describe him and his situation perfectly. He had two messages for me. What gets me about her is she even named the people's names. She even knew I was married and what my husband did for a living ... and I don't wear my wedding ring anymore (doesn't fit over autoimmune big knuckles). She got future things correct as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to [url= by FlyersFan[/url]

Very interesting indeed thankyou

But it makes me wonder, if you know there are fakes and varying degrees of competency within the psychic industry, how do you tell the difference between a very good fake and a genuine psychic?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Prezbo369
how do you tell the difference between a very good fake and a genuine psychic?

The only way I can tell is to go scrubbed down so nothing is given away and pay attention.
The one that was cold reading was very obvious.
The one that was very good ... she named names and events and things that she couldn't know.
And she stated future events that came true. Not generic stuff. But detailed stuff.

My opinion .. and it's just my opinion ... people are on different frequencies. If you get a real psychic and she's on the same frequency that you are on, then there will be a connection and you'll get a good reading. If you get a real psychic and she's on a different frequency than you are, then you'll get a 'medium' reading. (ha ha ... get it ... 'medium'?? Sorry, couldn't help it). But if you get a cold reading from someone, the generalisms and the 'misses' and the fishing for confirmation that isn't there ... well it's been obvious for me. If the psychic asks a bunch of questions instead of just making statements ... it's a cold reading.

I can only speak to my experience with the three different psychics. I can't speak for everyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I would say that if this is truly a spiritual/faith thing for you, you shouldn't sell it but dispense it freely. If it's something less than that, a means to help others but not a personal faith, then that's your call.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Selling people their own credulity should suffice. However, if you can keep a straight face while doing readings, it is likely you could do the same while taking money.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I think the Joker says it best: "If you're good at it, never do it for free." Then again, he was a homocidal anarchist, so who knows?

edit on 1-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I would like to hire you to cast a spell for me.

Best discussed in private however.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

jholt5638
Me and my wife are Wiccan and have been providing tarot reading, and other services to friends and family members. We have been told on more than one occasion that we should start a business for these services to the general public and charge for readings, spell casting, spiritual communication etc.

I am on the fence about it. Part of me feels like it cheapens the meaning of the reading, or puts a dark edge on the spell because it was cast for profit. On the other hand any extra income would be helpful to us. We have discussed some aspects such as not casting spells that would interfere with another's free will or anything that we feel would violate the rede.

So I guess I am looking for opinions from other wiccans, spiritualists, and others on their belief in the charging for providing divination, and the casting of spells.

I was exactly where you are right now about two years ago. I had many issues with charging people for my services and also looked down upon those who did (probably jealousy but I didn't admit it just like many others who claim it's wrong).

Look at it this way: painters get paid. Musicians get paid. Massage therapists get paid. Hair stylists get paid. These are all people who practice arts they love and nobody has any issues paying them. They worked hard to be able to do things that most people can't do. The same thing goes for you. People need to respect you for your time and demonstrate they value you. If a person demanded a free reading, claiming something about how it should be free, they are being cheap and don't realize they are being charged for your time and that they are undervaluing your skills.

Most don't realize what an emotional and mental toll reading and craftwork can have on a witch, especially if it's some heavy subject matter. Speaking of which, we live in an age when our communities can't really just "set up" their witches, wise ones, shamans, etc. They have always been paid and respected as leadership and council. Since economics aren't really set up in a way to do that anymore, you should feel perfectly guilt-free about expecting compensation for your works.

To cover all my bases, in my local practice, I service the community via donation-based agreements. Obviously, I have a "suggested donation" (usually about $40 per reading and I have not once been given less than that) but I am always willing to give a free reading or perform craft work on those in need. That's what we're here for, right?

Somebody mentioned legal risks as far as performing spells, crafts, and rituals for money. How I get around that is that I'm being paid for the consultation before hand, not the actual act. I'll normally do a reading along with it just to make sure it's the right course of action and then I'll do most of the requests during my next circle casting (depending on the nature and timing of the request).

You are a valuable person in your community. ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE VALUED! Blessed be to you and Miz Jholt. It sounds like you guys are in for an exciting chapter in your lives.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

jholt5638

Easy solution: Set up a donation jar. Anyone who feels like giving a donation is not the same as charging someone. Try it and see what happens.

Set up donation page online with paypal and credit cards.

Peace
edit on 2-2-2014 by Jesuslives4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Prezbo369
This kind of thing needs heavy regulation, big government regulation, to ensure no one is being taken advantage of (which they, generally the most vulnerable people, undoubtedly are)

FlyersFan

You have to ask the Gypsy in charge. Mine was $60 for a tarot card reading (won in a raffle). I would imagine it pays the rent plus some wear and tear on materials.

Prezbo369How were you able to tell that one was fake? whereas the other two were legitimate?

I thought my reading was legit because the 'reader' I was scheduled to see said this to me; "I WILL NOT READ YOU, (fear in the eyes) I HAVE TO GET MY SUPERIOR (to do this)".

edit on 2-2-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Wicked heathens always get that reaction, we're destined to never receive vague instructions and messesges from gypsies or high-street psychics

OP do not dare charge for doing whatever it is you think you're doing, dont take advantage of the credulous and get a real job.

That or contact James Randi, claim the prize and show the world that psychic powers do exist.

In other words putup or shutup.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
When my Brother died myself and my Mother visited a dude called "mystic Ron" (we added the mystic bit) and he was very very good, so good in fact he got everything right about me and even talked to my Brother (Who he thought was a girl at first due to his lovely long hair), I left thinking HTF did he know all this? anyhow he didn't charge us a penny for it, in fact due to me forgetting my fags he was down money on the afternoon seeing he gave me a pack.
A little while later we went to a woman who had pics of her with famous people all over and she just said "He is swimming with dolphins" and talked crap for a while before trying to charge us 100 quid each...I left calling her a fake.
Moral of my tale? Only the fakes charge you cash.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Prezbo369
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Wicked heathens always get that reaction, we're destined to never receive vague instructions and messesges from gypsies or high-street psychics

Thanks for that Prezbo369; Ive wondered about the 'fear factor Run for the hills" panic mode in that street shop as soon as I arrived. How funny. Would not characterize myself as heathen (well dressed and freshly washed). Tiny bit wicked though. When the those that come to me for spiritual guidance I never charge (its word of mouth; this person ME is who you should talk to). Im not even a Priest and find it an inconvienience; what is one to do? None of them (yet) had leprocy.

edit on 3-2-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join