It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What words does ATS censor?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
In another thread, I noticed a certain acronym was changed to ___ in a post. This seemed odd, since it was just 3 letters in a row, not profanity or hate speech which are the usual suspect for that kind of stuff. Is there a list of words that ATS' software automatically renders as dashes?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by conundrummer

There doesn't seem to be a public list (and any list, if you think about it, would be censored out anyway).
We just have to learn by experience.
It seems to include some accidental and unintended items, like the word "window" when followed by a full stop.

edit on 31-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

We don't actually have a list I don't think lol

Not one that I've ever seen. Most vulgarities are covered under the censor, and a few that we'd rather not be there, but for whatever reason there's a glitch.

Like the 'window' for example mentioned above.

It is trial and error, but I would suggest not doing that, considering vulgarity does nothing to strengthen an intellectual argument or move forward any kind of discussion.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

window.

window is censored. lol... see, one cannot say window.

It is funny too, that is the funniest glitch I have yet to run across.
edit on 31-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Hmm, perhaps someone should start a text file on google docs that we all could use to update the different instances. not only would that make it known what is being censored but it would also facilitate an "accidentally censored list' that could be used by the mods.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
It is trial and error, but I would suggest not doing that, considering vulgarity does nothing to strengthen an intellectual argument or move forward any kind of discussion.

~Tenth

I was asking because the term in question is not a vulgarity.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Then what it is? Lol

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Then what it is? Lol

~Tenth

Dimethyltryptamine, the acronym

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Close the window.
That's really odd a sentence cannot end with window!!
What's up with that ?
edit on 31-1-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

Trying in French
Fermez la fenetre.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

'___' is one of the most illegal drugs on the planet.

So even if it isn't censored, you would not be able to discuss such things anyway

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

~Tenth
edit on 1/31/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

violet
Close the window.
That's really odd a sentence cannot end with window!!
What's up with that ?

Trying in French
Fermez la fenetre.

It's just a glitch in the matrix but the first time it happened to me I kept wondering when window became a curse word! hahahaha

One of the mods explained it to me, lol... apparently not something easily fixed!!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

'___' is one of the most illegal drugs on the planet.

So even if it isn't censored, you would not be able to discuss such things anyway

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

~Tenth
edit on 1/31/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Fair enough I guess, but its also a substance that occurs throughout nature including in the human brain, and people who have taken large amounts have reported UFO contact etc, so I guessed it would be fair game on a forum where UFOs and contactees are discussed (plus ancient cultures, shamanism and their visions are common talk too). IMHO its a subject that could be discussed outside a modern illicit drug context.

But I'm a new guy and am not looking to cause trouble, so I guess I'll be more careful.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
One acronym i find odd that is banned is Dimethyltryptamine or '___'. I only found this out when i was explaining to someone how it is a natural chemical produced in the human body by the pineal gland and that at the time of death under great stress it is produced in massive quantities which might explain the whole 'traveling toward the light' phenomenon that people have reported in the past. But to my surprise it was censored.

I know there is a policy against talking about illegal drug use but that not the context i was using it in.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

IMHO its a subject that could be discussed outside a modern illicit drug context.

I think different Mods will respond more or less...

I had all posts removed when directly citing a science journal about a certain plant used by native americans in ancient history which I was relating to rock art and possible reasons some of them are so odd and space alien like

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

You'd think that and we've tried, for many years and through many headaches to have these conversations.

The fact remains that our community doesn't seem capable of doing so without flooding the forums with what amounts to 'stoner talk'.

Trust me when I say I am one of the most vocal staff members regarding allowing these discussions as they are conspiracy related and quite important. The new PC forum allows for some leeway in order to make these topics accessible.

With that being said the rules are still very tight. I wish it were not so, but this has been brought on my experience and not just an arbitrary decision to not have these things on the website.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Understood.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I think different Mods will respond more or less...

It's just an observation, but the stats area on the Forums page currently shows just under 4,100 posts in the last 24 hours. That's roughly one every 21 seconds, all 24 hours. Whew...

I know it's hard to believe. but occasionally, once in a great while, things get missed. (don't let it get out... We have a reputation to keep, after all.. )

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I had the same problem earlier, and funnily enough I find this thread..

skyblueworld
reply to post by Mianeye

You beat me to it, the first picture you can see a reflection just like you would when taking pictures behind a window.

edit on 1-2-2014 by skyblueworld because: why won't it let me spell WINDOW?? Is WINDOW a blocked word on ATS??? LOL!!

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Blimey!! All the post seem to skirt around the answers. So here they are straight from the horses mouth. The list alphabetically I. A****, B********. C****, oh I can't be bothered to put the rest . By definition banned words cannot be posted because they are BANNED.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

tothetenthpower

You'd think that and we've tried, for many years and through many headaches to have these conversations.

The fact remains that our community doesn't seem capable of doing so without flooding the forums with what amounts to 'stoner talk'.

Trust me when I say I am one of the most vocal staff members regarding allowing these discussions as they are conspiracy related and quite important. The new PC forum allows for some leeway in order to make these topics accessible.

With that being said the rules are still very tight. I wish it were not so, but this has been brought on my experience and not just an arbitrary decision to not have these things on the website.

~Tenth

I can see that things want to lead off into drugs, sex and a dozen swear word responses on most forums so i do appreciate the moderating and rules here most of the time.

On other forums sometimes you find a really interesting thread and go through 50-100 responses of one to a dozen words mostly swear words or just silly worthless sex or drug related jokes, I usually simply can't read the thread :-( sad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join