It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Million Felons, 47 Million on SNAP, 13 Million on Welfare, 15 Million Unemployed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is the real State of the Union. Felons are ineligible for SNAP apparently so the 47 million on food stamps don't include the 20 million felons. However the under and unemployed figures probably do account for the same demographic. This is a very grim statistical analysis of the current paradigm in America.

Washington Post

Some conservatives, meanwhile, have emphasized that a big chunk of the increase is due to policy changes by Washington. In 2008, Congress allowed states to relax their standards for who could join the program. (Jobless adults could stay in the program if they lived in high-unemployment areas, for instance.) Then, as part of the 2009 stimulus bill, Congress temporarily boosted food-stamp benefits — the average benefit was $133 per month last year, although that increase expires this November.

Due to policy changes in Washington? I agree to an extent and yes bad policy encourages a bad economy because the less room we have to move around and create our own incomes and the more we have to spend for a small startup the harder it is to get off the bottom. There are many policies encouraging this type of growth decline in the economic sector that many of you are aware of like NAFTA.

So which explanation is right? Most evidence suggests that food-stamp enrollment has mainly risen due to the recession — although policy changes have played a smaller role:

Right but government over reach and over regulation is causing a majority of the problem, what they are doing is enabling the greedy corporatist and people at the top to be able to take advantage of the economy in ways that the average joe can't and forcing people into more debt.

Static Brain

Total number of Americans on welfare 12,800,000

Total government spending on welfare annually (not including food stamps or unemployment) $131.9 billion

So compared to what we spend on our money from the Drug War, to private prisons, to large scale wars across the globe, federal aid to other countries and budgets to pay all of our government employees thats NOTHING. I would rather take a chance at helping 1 person who actually needs and utilizes government aid while supporting 20 idiots then take a chance at supporting our government and enabling them to do nothing and affectively kill our education system, our economy, and destroy our republic.

Deptartment of Numbers

National 10,351,000 -490,000 -1,922,000

As you can see there has been a decline in unemployment recently but we all know this isn't because they are adding substantial long term economic growth and recovery. Its because people can't collect anymore and have no options, most of them are probably working 2 crappy slave jobs to support their family. My evidence for this is because the policy in America that encourages growth and prosperity hasn't changed, ie government scaling back its totalitarian economic policies that are decades out of date and long since needing to be replaced or removed.

The problem with the economy isn't because the government isn't doing enough its because they are doing to much!!!

New York Times

Ms. Woods’s current job has not been meeting her needs. When she began driving a passenger van last year, she earned $9 an hour and worked 40 hours a week. Then her wage was cut to $8 an hour, and her hours were drastically scaled back. Last month she earned just $233. So Ms. Woods, who said that she had been threatened with eviction for missing rent payments and had been postponing an appointment with the eye doctor because she lacks insurance, has been looking for another, better job. It has not been easy.

Poor Ms. Wood's I am sorry to have to break it to you but its not coming anytime soon because the archaic and draconian governments economic and judicial policies encourage large corporate growth and entitlements to people who have money. Yes entitlements for the rich. The entitlements come in the form of access, they have access to education, funds, and everything else required to endeavor in venture capital these days. The average joe is forced into MASSIVE economic debt if he desides to go into his own business. Education totals through the roof not to mention how much a small startup costs these days, into the 100,000's of thousands. Were talking about half a million dollars in debt to start a legimate small business between lawyer fees and everything else required.

Makes me sick to my stomac.

MSNBC

On Wednesday, the 2013 Senate Farm Bill was amended to make those convicted of certain violent crimes ineligible for SNAP (Supplementary Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits, popularly known as food stamps. The amendment was passed by unanimous consent, meaning that neither Republicans nor Democrats objected to the bill.

Now not only do we have 20 million felons in the united states right now but that number is growing significantly. There is no way that we should have this high percentage of people in the USA in this category. This category should be reserved for the worst of the worst, the unreformable. This category should be not for people who just commit a crime but for people who can't stop being violent and for repeat offenders. Im not talking about non violent people here either. Now, many of you know i have a violent felony and yes i was guilty. I was an idiot 23 year old and i probably needed a like wake up call but i didnt my life destroyed. Bottom line is these policies are creating a serious issue in the USA and its creating an underclass of people with no options, 20 million people with no options or hope for the future.

This is a lot of America right now and i can tell you a lot of your neighbors are these people and everyone should see whats happening in their communities. These people are eventually going to start demanding opportunities that are right now out of everyones reach. Im not just talking about felons but im talking about people who dont have economic prosperity within their reach and have no idea how to get there because of how difficult it is at the current moment.

Cant stand the attitudes of the people who think its just hard work because hard work doesnt get you anywhere these days its all about nepotism and who you know. Its really that simple and if you dont see it that way its probably because your blind to the people who have actually helped you out.

Its about time we start banding together and demanding change on an immediate and relevant scale before its too late.
edit on 20141America/Chicagoq000000America/Chicago3531362014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

onequestion

Cant stand the attitudes of the people who think its just hard work because hard work doesnt get you anywhere these days its all about nepotism and who you know. Its really that simple and if you dont see it that way its probably because your blind to the people who have actually helped you out.

I can't stand the attitude people like you have toward people who think hard work is not a bad thing.
And where do you get off thinking you know people? I got my good job by filling out the proper paperwork and having a great work ethics.

Maybe reptilian justin can redistribute money from the evil 1% and give to the poor violent criminals.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

I can't stand the attitude people like you have toward people who think hard work is not a bad thing. And where do you get off thinking you know people? I got my good job by filling out the proper paperwork and having a great work ethics.

You know what im glad you got a good job and good on you.

What about the 50-100 million other americans who dont have the same opportunities you have had?

You dont think i have work ethics, you want me to walk you through a day for me? You know what im going too...

I work on a horse farm doing maintenance. I dont have car because i been struggling since i got in trouble over 5 years ago. I get up early in the morning and ride a bike to work. I work hard all day doing backbreaking labor. I am also a professional boxer and my career was thrown off course when i got in trouble so i am silmultaneously working my ass off to get my boxing career back on track. The gym is 12 miles away from where i work and it takes over an hour to travel that distance by bike with traffic stops and the likes. So lets recap so far, 8 hours at work when its not raining out, 1 hour bike ride to the gym, 2 1/2 hours of training then an hour back to the house and do it again 5 days a week.

You think you work harder then me? Your kidding yourself. Yes i made mistakes but you better believe i dont deserve to lose my entire life over it.

Secondly my post isnt about entitlements its about encouraging economic growth by scaling back education costs and government over reach but you didnt see that all you saw was me being lazy which is typical.

Get a clue.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

So.....make it more comfortable for people that are poor, to stay poor by handing out more stuff.

Yeah, makes sense to me.

Tax money should not be going to most of this crap.

There are people that truly need it, I get that. But that percentage is small.

People should not be paid to not work for 3 years.
Welfare should not be something people get on for life.
I am tired of seeing people use EBT cards for their Milk and bread, only to turn around and pull out a wad of cash for beer and smokes. And then see them driving a new car.

Want people to get out of poverty??? make it uncomfortable to be there. It is amazing how fast people will move when a fire is lit under their butt.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Did you read my second post?

I agree with most of what your saying.

Until we create conditions for economic prosperity do you think we want 50 million hungry jobless americans running around?

Yeah make it uncomfortable to be in poverty but simultaneously make it impossible for people to get on their feet thats a great country were building.
edit on 20141America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago0731562014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

ETA - I have to go i will be back later for further commenting and responses.
edit on 20141America/ChicagoquAmerica/Chicago5131562014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I am glad you are getting your life back in order your on the right path.
Yes you sound like you work harder then me (now) because I can't do the things I use to do a drunk driver made sure of that but I survived and I make the best out of life even though I'm living at the poverty level.

Life is not suppose to be fair.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

onequestion

You think you work harder then me? Your kidding yourself. Yes i made mistakes but you better believe i dont deserve to lose my entire life over it.

Yes, yes I do.

I guess a pissing match is in order, so here we go.

I'm up at 4:30 and at my day job/office by around 6am. Work until around 3-3:30. Home, make dinner, bath and bedtime with kids. Packup my stuff and out to my business from 7:30 till around midnight. Bed by around 1ish.

I do this 5 days a week.
Saturdays I am at my business for about 12 hours.
Sunday in the evenings from 7 till midnight.

Maybe you shouldn't have gotten in trouble.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I am not asking for fairness im asking for opportunity.

Its not about equality its about creating conditions that allow for opportunity. Thats what we need.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Maybe you shouldn't have gotten in trouble.

I forgot im dealing with another jesus whos been perfect their wholes lives.

I was an idiot in my young twenties just like i am now and im sure you were too buddy. High horses, high horses.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

onequestion

Its not about equality its about creating conditions that allow for opportunity. Thats what we need.

Opportunity is always there we just need to open our eyes.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Who said anything about being Jesus?

If you don't want to be reminded about not doing stupid stuff, don't tell people you did stupid stuff that caused this great pain in your life.

You can't use it as an excuse to your current circumstances.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have news for Ms Woods too. She would get 170 a month in food stamps if she quit her job. She would get full medical from Medicaid even though almost no one takes it. She would get utility assistance. She would get way more then she can make at her job.

I myself qualified for many years and never applied. So believe you me there are a lot of people out there like myself that are or were too proud to accept welfare. The numbers do not reflect the actual amount.

As for your conviction yeah I agree. It's stupid to kick violent offenders off of SNAP. I understand why they did it to drug felons. They might use federal aid for drugs. It gets worse and worse everyday for felons someday they won't have any options but to be lifelong criminals.

It's pretty much that way now.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

macman
You can't use it as an excuse to your current circumstances.

Damn right just because I can't do the thing I was able to do prior does not mean I can't find another way.

I have educated myself with basic internet skills and now I sell things thru my Amazon store and trust me if I can make a few bucks from selling items online then anyone can.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think people have it bad all over to varying degrees. What's the saying? Don't cry about having old shoes until you see the guy that doesn't have feet? Most reading this thread prolly have clean sheets, three squares a day AND people in their lives who love them.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

onequestion

Opportunity doesn't come and say 'Take me I'm your's '

You have to look, identify need, and act on it.

What did we used to call it ? ..........................Oh yeah, work ethic and common sense

I was unemployed for a year, never claimed benefits, Bought a bucket a sponge and a couple of other things

Went cleaning windows for cash, it aint rocket science

Sheez

Cody
edit on 31/1/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
To hell with the American citizens! The important thing is that the Corporations prosper and remain in control.

God Bless America! Love it or leave it you commie scum...../heavy sarcasm...kinda/

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 31-1-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

In all fairness, it sounds like the OP is working towards getting back on top of things.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Buy a bucket, mow lawns, do all the menial stuff and put pride to the side, and into your work.

You'd be surprised how quickly the money comes in.

With all due respect to the OP

Cody

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Yes life is no supposed to be fair, but that is possible because we have a system that doesn't allowed it to be fair, after all how humanity will do if it was not leaders and followers to exploit.

I guess spending billions on supporting the growing none productive class (created by the system) is ok as long as is somebody to exploit so they can pay for it.

I wish I can seat on my arse and wait for the free hard earned dollars of somebody labor every month and complain when my none earned money is late

Americka the land of opportunism if you have somebody to do the work for you.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

onequestion

Its about time we start banding together and demanding change on an immediate and relevant scale before its too late

Amen to that, see I get your point and is a good one, but as usual some do nick and pick without thinking just to make their own point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join