It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I cannot stand compound bows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I cannot stand those compound bows. They are ugly and stupid. I do real archery, with a longbow, horsebow and a recurve bow. Those compound operators I like to call them like to invade all the ranges and I be the only one with a bow with only one string. I have to work my butt off to get really good with my bow. What I do is all on me, if I made a mistake, I made it. If I shoot good, it is all me. The compound bow is for the lazy and their bow does all the work. Plus compound bows are such a eye sore, they look so ugly. I have to let out some steam, tired of compound operators getting all the attention and take over leagues completely. They need a space for the better archers that shoot real bows with one string. I hate compound bows.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Chopper

Archery is a nice sport .Your free style is only one aspect of the sport . I don't agree that they don't have to do anything to get good at it .It takes practice on their part too .Granit the compound bow does have its benefits and that is why it's so popular .You shouldn't be upset by it because I would imagine you are shooting in a different class .That was one thing I liked about the sport .True it is almost impossible to compete with them but I am sure there are other free style shooters ...They do make some crazy wicked compounds now adays ....peace

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

I tried compound bow, it was very easy to shoot and I did not feel connected to the bow. Plus I did not like how it felt. It gets heavy too fast and if I let it down, it feels it want to rip my arm off. A recurve or any bow I try so far with one string does not do that. It feels way better to shoot a bow with one string. My friends had encounter problems from compound archers and they were treated like they bad for not shooting compound. They were asked when they are going to get a compound. I am glad I had not encounter that at the range I go to, I would of been very mad. I am a hard core traditional archer.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chopper

Hardcore traditional spear chucker here, non of that fancy bow, wheels nor twang for me.

But, I guess, if compound bows are getting under your skin then you've got things pretty a-ok in life. Things could be far worse. So chin up, it's no big thing really!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Qumulys
reply to post by Chopper

Hardcore traditional spear chucker here, non of that fancy bow, wheels nor twang for me.

But, I guess, if compound bows are getting under your skin then you've got things pretty a-ok in life. Things could be far worse. So chin up, it's no big thing really!

Well it is a big deal if you are the only one at the range without a compound bow and they try to get me to shoot compound. I also want to shoot league, but again I would be the only one there without a compound. They seem to not able to get people who shoot bows with one string in those leagues. The bowhunter and the Las Vegas league is all compound. I outright refuse to shoot compound bow, traditional archery is pretty much my religion.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chopper

My husband agrees with you. He says that anything that you cannot draw and shoot all in one fluid motion is worthless.

Nevermind, my husband just said its called a crossbow the one I like, so maybe then I agree with you too!

edit on 31-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Chopper

My husband agrees with you. He says that anything that you cannot draw and shoot all in one fluid motion is worthless.

I disagree, but I like lazy!

I can pull back a 100 pound bow and shoot it well. I love to see to a compounder try that hahaha hehehe hahaha. Your husband is cool, he knows the true path of archery and not the lazy way.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chopper

Compound bows might be ugly as sin, but they get the job done. If you had to choose between a compound bow or nothing to survive, you'll take the bow any day.

However I can sympathize with you somewhat, better equipment doesn't equate to better skills. Being a guitar player I've been exclusively six string, then all of a sudden the seven strings and the eight strings arrive, which are also ugly and are easier to play if you want a heavier sound. But having an extra string or two doesn't make you a better player.

Maybe you can find some like minded traditional archers and start your own club. That way you can all go to the range together and show the 'compound operators' how it's really done.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Actually, there is a point to a bow you can make yourself, verses one you have to purchase. In a bad situation, you can always make your own bow and arrows and survive, with the proper know-how and practice.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Actually, there is a point to a bow you can make yourself, verses one you have to purchase. In a bad situation, you can always make your own bow and arrows and survive, with the proper know-how and practice.

I totally agree, If you can make a basic shanghai at age seven there's no reason why you can't make a functioning bow when there's a need for it.

However if you don't know how to stalk or track injured prey the bow is practically useless.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Qumulys
reply to post by Chopper

Have you tried an atlatl?
It's like a compound spear chucker!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
You must really hate crossbows and ppl that own them...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
COMPOUND BOWS ARE THE DEVIL'S WORK!

They aren't even bows - they are mere contraptions!

You can't simply put way too much string on a wheeled contraption and magically turn it into a bow, any more than putting rearview mirrors on the same contraption would turn it into a car.

I had a brother in law that swore by the damned things. He had to have yet ANOTHER contraption to draw and release it - a gizzy that actually strapped to his wrist so that it moveth not and had a friggin' trigger on it.

A friggin' TRIGGER! I couldn't tell if he wanted his contraption to be a bow or a gun, but it was neither.

It was a contraption.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Check out ( instinct archery) no compound bows there.

instinctarchery.com...

They are two miles up the road from me and make a nice bow.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
But a Compound bow gets +1 Attack and +1 Damage more than a longbow so really, unless your an elf with a racial proficiency in longbows or your strength is under 15 (or unless the longbow is magical but thats a whole other argument and to prevent thread drift I wont go into it) you have gotta take the compound bow every time.

P.s Compound bows are also superior to crossbows due to rate of fire, a high level fighter or rogue will get 3 attacks a round with a compound compared to 1 with a crossbow.

GO COMPOUND BOW!!!!!!!

edit on 31/1/2014 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Chopper

I don't agree with you saying that people that use compound bows are lazy. My wife doesn't have the upper body strength to hold a recurve while hunting. She gets a little shaky. But I do agree they are ugly.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie
reply to post by Chopper

Compound bows might be ugly as sin, but they get the job done. If you had to choose between a compound bow or nothing to survive, you'll take the bow any day.

I cannot envision that choice ever being forced in the real world. In the real world, in a survival situation, you will make what you need - not run down to the archery shop and pick out a contraption, putting it on your Master Card.

I've been making my own bows since I was 13 or 14. Not a single one of them had those wheels, geegaws, and way too much string on them. If a compound operator was forced with that choice, in an actual survival situation, he'd have a hell of a time trying to make his own compound contraption - and he would be utterly lost trying to shoot a real bow.

No triggers.

No "break point".

No game, no dinner.

Maybe you can find some like minded traditional archers and start your own club. That way you can all go to the range together and show the 'compound operators' how it's really done.

It's getting harder and harder to find bows in stores - most all of them cater to the compound operators, and sell contraptions exclusively. The last real bow I saw in a shop was a couple years ago. it was old, and in a pawn shop. I'm really pretty glad I learned how to make my own years ago with just a stick, a sharp piece of glass, and some fiberous stuff.

Added bonus: I don't have to have an engineering degree and special equipment to put my string on.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

the owlbear

Have you tried an atlatl?
It's like a compound spear chucker!

That's next on my "how to" list. I tried it years ago when I was younger, with negative results. I'd never seen one in actual operation back then, and was utterly unaware of the physics involved. The spears I used were way too stiff, and had no spring to them. It was more like trying to toss an iron pipe with a ball bat as a lever.

Now I know better. I've been eyeballing a stand of stuff to make the darts out of for a couple months now.

Yup, it's coming...

I have three standard spears I fiddle around with. You've got to have some serious shoulder to chuck them right, but hand held, they are simply evil incarnate. You don't just use the pointy end - the whole thing is a weapon, and you use whatever part is handiest at the instant to make your wishes known.

edit on 2014/1/31 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

BlastedCaddy
You must really hate crossbows and ppl that own them...

Crossbows have a purpose - so long as they don't have wheels. What kind of sissy has to have wheels on a CROSSBOW when it holds itself at the ready?

There are caveats to crossbows, too. I once had one that had a web strap for a stirrup. Now, to draw one, one sets his foot in the stirrup and draws the string to the nut until it clicks. With your foot in the stirrup, and drawing upward, well, I guess you can visualize where the butt of the crossbow is pointing to. I was drawing that monster, and just before it cocked, the friggin' web stirrup broke, flinging the whole thing upwards in response to the tension on the string. Wasn't but one place for the butt of the crossbow to go. I saw stars, rolled around on the ground and cried like a baby, and pissed blood for a week.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
S&F. I feel the same way. A good long bow is way better than a compound bow. This is where technology took a tumble.

Some of the new arrows are pretty decent though, I don't have a complaint about that. But they are expensive. They should have built in electronic beepers in the arrows like they have for remote controls so you can locate them when hunting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join