It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's Jade Rabbit Rover May Be Doomed On The Moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
China's Jade Rabbit Rover May Be Doomed On The Moon

Well, well, well this is rather interesting and I am sure will get the conspiracy theories rolling! Did the rabbit go down the hole and find the aliens or did they see the supposed american base??

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Ah.

Well, that is a little unfortunate eh? I wonder, if the cold of the lunar night is responsible for the failure, would it be worth the people running this mission, to attempt to re-awaken the machine when the sun comes up there?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Tis dust that (may have) killed the beast. Dust, and soon, cold. From your source:

"Well we don't exactly know what happened, there's not a lot of detail," says Emily Lakdawalla, a blogger and senior editor with the Planetary Society, a non-profit that supports space exploration. The rover was preparing for the lunar night time, which lasts for two weeks. It was supposed to fold up to shield its delicate electronics from the cold. That didn't happen — and now, Lakdawalla says, its circuity is done for.

"It'll just break, it will physically break because of the incredibly cold temperature, and there's no way to fix that," she says. "You can't send Triple-A up onto the moon to fix your broken car. It's done."

Why the rover couldn't fold up as designed is unclear. Lakdawalla says one culprit may be lunar dust. The dust is extremely fine, and it clings to anything it touches.

edit on 30-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hey, it was made in China. Didn't you see that little golden oval sticker?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
In all seriousness.. Would our gov. really allow China to go there?
Firepiston

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FirePiston

would 'your gov' be brave and bold enoiugh to dare try stop them

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
All those who are bashing China, dont forget where you came from (they may be jokes, I am aware). US failed with manned missions, RIP to the brave on board. Some US rockets didn't even reach outer space. Please stay humble, they failed for now with zero casualties.

I just wanted to see the moon through the digital eyes of the Chinese rover, curious to compare with what the Americans have on film. Guess we will have to wait for now....
edit on 30-1-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'll buy clothes made in China, but when it comes to my lunar rovers, I buy American.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I just find it funny how all the talk was about how China is going to show the moon how it really is compared to what NASA shows and then oops the rover is broken. You would think China would have looked at all avenues and potential issues that could arise.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
All right settle down...

How do we know the Chinese didnt fake this issue?
Maybe they're onto to something *Known to the US already* and may want some private time to explore?

Think outside the box people.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I want you as my lawyer. Or promotional consultant.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Spot on! The Chinese public was inspired by the successful landing and will want to see more space activities and successes in the future.

Now, take the spotlight off the Jade Rabbit so that it can get on with it's real mission.

Though that last 'unofficial message' - "Goodnight Earth" - is a bit disconcerting...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
There are many possible outcomes as to why this happened.

They could have faked it like Slayer69 is saying,

they might have genuine difficulties,

they may have been sabotaged,

they may have been intercepted.

Who really knows?

If lies are being presented, I hope a china men that is "in" on the word around the camp fire can muster up some balls and drop it like its hot.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
If China is to save face they must put up another Rover as soon as possible. That, or get on with that manned Mars mission, which would make us forget this failure in a hurry.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Excatly what i tought too! To me China and others leaders are the same, they dont giva fk about rest of us kinda lol...

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Why bother with the dead moon? they need to spread their wings..

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by w810i

I see the glass as half full, maybe more than half. They successfully got the probe to the moon, it worked and sent some data back to Earth. That's hard to do and it's a win that they accomplished that. Unanticipated glitches can happen during missions and it's not surprising considering the newness of their space program, but they will get better.

I guess people have to talk about the conspiracy angle on a conspiracy site, but I don't really see any need to invoke that in this case.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
What if.....the USA sabotaged Chinas Rover because they were going to check to see if the apollo landing sites where there!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

this is quite possible, china just saying it broke down so they don't have to answer to anymore questions or send anymore pics

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

But we landed on the moon 44 years ago and didn't experience this problem?

China had lots of time to figure out this "fine dust" problem.

No doubt you're right - it's reasonable - but this IS a conspiracy site and don't act like this is untouchable because it isn't. NOTHING is untouchable. People on this site question the very nature of reality, so anything in this reality is subject to the various conspiracies or brainstorming, no matter how unlikely.

My opinion is it was a glitch - those happen. BUT I don't rule out conspiracies. I never have. I mean, many of them are stupid and most of them I disregard, but I never 100% rule out anything because I don't even know if real is real.
edit on 31-1-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join