It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Walks SIX MILES through snow to perform brain surgery.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
When i saw this article it made me get all teary. It sure is nice to see that there are doctors out there that still care about the patients and saving lives.

On Tuesday morning, a brain surgeon in Birmingham, Ala., walked six miles through a severe snow storm to save a patient's life.

Dr. Zenko Hrynkiw, Trinity Medical Center's only neurosurgeon, had just finished surgery at a neighboring hospital when Steve Davis, the charge nurse at Trinity's neuro intensive care unit, called him with an emergency, AL.com reported. Hrynkiw attempted to drive to the hospital, but roadblocks prevented him from getting far.

This doctor walked six miles in the snow to get to his patient and perform the surgery that if he had not receive would have more than likely died. This is one amazing doctor and it is clear he is in it to help people not to make a profit. I can't even get my doctor to call me back!!

According to the article local authorities and the hospital he worked for tried to get him transportation but that didn't work out so he said he was walking. It took him FIVE hours to walk to the hospital. Once he got inside he spoke with the patients family then immediately went into the operating room and saved this persons life. What an amazing doctor.

"He's on call about 330 days a year," Davis said. "He's dedicated. Right before we started the surgery, I told him, 'You're a good man.'"

Hyrnkiw's response: "I'm just doing my job."

source
source 2

I did a search in various forms and found nothing on this.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Not like he'll notice, but S & F for this remarkable doctor!!
...oh!
You too!!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

S/F for such a positive post. Thanks. Health cars has been on my shlitz list lately, and it's good to know there are still people at his level who care.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

A good doctor, but I don't see what else he could have done. Six miles isn't that long a hike, even in the cold and snow.

EDIT: It took him five hours to walk six miles. How out of shape is this doctor? Not to belittle him for this great save, but he needs to get to a gym, or to bring his snowshoes next time!

edit on 30-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

S+F for alerting ATS to the existence of a doctor worthy of the name.

To be honest, all the doctors who did not go at least as far, in as least bad conditions to do their job... they are not worthy of the titles on their doors.

Good on him. Me, I would walk three miles in snow for a pint with my mates, and its nice to know there are other people out there who can summon up enough balls to get the job done, no matter what the weather and circumstances are outside!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Six hours to walk five miles?
when he got there was he staggering about and have slurred speach?

He DID get there so good one doc

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Bazart

S/F for such a positive post. Thanks. Health cars has been on my shlitz list lately, and it's good to know there are still people at his level who care.

I know! I am currently dealing with my doctors and trying to get a neurologist for my constant migraines. It's like jumping through hoops! I can't get any of them to return my calls.

It is good to know there are still good docs out there. I saw it on another site and had to share it here amongst all the negative posts. It is nice to see positive ones too

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Aleister

A good doctor, but I don't see what else he could have done. Six miles isn't that long a hike, even in the cold and snow.

Are you friggin kidding me??

Are you really lessening what he did because YOU think six miles isn't that long in snow? Sorry but walking for 5hrs in such conditions is a big deal esp when you don't do it every day! He could have cancelled the surgery and said "hey I can't make it due to weather" but he didn't. He did something most doctors wouldn't even consider.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

VoidHawk

It's five hours for six miles.

No they said he talked to the patients family and went to surgery. In one of the links it states he walks often for exercise so I'm assuming he was in good shape. Either way he still WALKED 6 miles in horrid weather to get to his patient. I can't even get doctors to return my calls.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I gave you a flag and star and I give the doctor all the credit in the world. It's just not a monumental feat to walk six miles in ice and snow, not if he's used to walking.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Aleister

I gave you a flag and star and I give the doctor all the credit in the world. It's just not a monumental feat to walk six miles in ice and snow, not if he's used to walking.

Thanks but I don't post here for flags and stars. I post to share stories not to accumulate stars and flags.

Being use to walking and being use to walking in such conditions are not the same. I live in FL and never see snow so to me and many others I''ve talked to about this it is a big deal.

The point of me posting this is that doctors don't usually do such things to help patients. He could have easily canceled or called in and said he can't make it but he didn't. He didn't wait for anyone to come get him, he got up and walked. Sorry but I find it to be a big deal.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The reason I mentioned flagstar was that you seemed to imply I was criticizing or "lessening" his decision to walk to save a life. I hope he gets a medal from the President. Just saying that what choice did he have? He tried to drive, he couldn't, so he got out to walk. Even if he wasn't used to walking in blizzards, and maybe he didn't have proper shoes on, so he kept slipping and falling down (maybe), it still is a long time to walk six miles. He did his job, he did a good job, and what's odd is that he couldn't flag down a police car or something on the way.

So we are on the same page on this, just that I think it was his duty, and he is honorable enough to do his duty. Long time walking though.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Sounds like a story my parents used to tell me. "I had to walk to school,up hill both ways in the snow." Great story though. Way to go doc.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Aleister

The reason I mentioned flagstar was that you seemed to imply I was criticizing or "lessening" his decision to walk to save a life. I hope he gets a medal from the President. Just saying that what choice did he have? He tried to drive, he couldn't, so he got out to walk. Even if he wasn't used to walking in blizzards, and maybe he didn't have proper shoes on, so he kept slipping and falling down (maybe), it still is a long time to walk six miles. He did his job, he did a good job, and what's odd is that he couldn't flag down a police car or something on the way.

The roads were inaccessible due to the weather and road blocks. It is also states they did try and send help to him but to no avail.

So we are on the same page on this, just that I think it was his duty, and he is honorable enough to do his duty. Long time walking though.
We are on the same page, now.

I just think it's a big deal for someone to do something they didn't have to do in such circumstances. Most would have said it's too cold or it's snowing and would have waited in the heat of their own car for help. If I ever need a neurosurgeon I want this guy!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

VoidHawk

No they said he talked to the patients family and went to surgery. In one of the links it states he walks often for exercise so I'm assuming he was in good shape. Either way he still WALKED 6 miles in horrid weather to get to his patient. I can't even get doctors to return my calls.

I was just having a laugh suggesting he stopped for a quick pint on the way. Under normal conditions we walk about three miles an hour so he may have stopped more than once!....just kidding

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

That is the kind of person that makes this country great.
He sets an example and dedication that all of us
should reflect.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
A pride to his oath, much more than I can say for POTUS! This Doc is a HERO!

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

VoidHawk

mblahnikluver

VoidHawk

I was just having a laugh suggesting he stopped for a quick pint on the way. Under normal conditions we walk about three miles an hour so he may have stopped more than once!....just kidding

I have no idea how long it would take to walk that long in those conditions. I use to run the mile waaaaay back in HS and did it in about 7 mins but that was well a long time ago

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Who cares how long it took him, the point is he still did it. He could have easily blamed the weather and left the family to hope the patient survived the night. This man deserves to be recognized. He went above and beyond what most people (and I bet most doctors) would do.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This man had to be driven by some other help than just physical adeptness. Have you ever spent more than 1 hr outside in driving snow? 30 mins? Your face becomes numb, your feet and hands feel like clubs...in a relatively short amount of time. I can't figure out how he did it! How could he face that kind of cold for so long and still have use of his hands? BTW I live in WI and have to deal with cold every winter, (this one is especially harsh).

That is some kind of yogi's determination and strength of will to "walk through the valley" to save another person's life.
Great story!!
I am new to commenting so I don't know how to star and flag, but STAR and FLAG!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join