It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

300,000-Year-Old Caveman 'Campfire' Found in Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

A newly discovered hearth full of ash and charred bone in a cave in modern-day Israel hints that early humans sat around fires as early as 300,000 years ago — before Homo sapiens arose in Africa In and around the hearth, archaeologists say they also found bits of stone tools that were likely used for butchering and cutting animals.

The finds could shed light on a turning point in the development of culture "in which humans first began to regularly use fire both for cooking meat and as a focal point — a sort of campfire — for social gatherings," said archaeologist Ruth Shahack-Gross of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel. [10 Things that Make Humans Special]

"They also tell us something about the impressive levels of social and cognitive development of humans living some 300,000 years ago," Shahack-Gross added in a statement.

The centrally located fire pit is about 6.5 feet (2 meters) in diameter at its widest point, and its ash layers suggest the hearth was used repeatedly over time, according to the study, which was detailed in the Journal of Archaeological Science on Jan. 25. Shahack-Gross and colleagues think these features indicate the hearth may have been used by large groups of cave dwellers. What's more, its position implies some planning went into deciding where to put the fire pit, suggesting whoever built it must have had a certain level of intelligence.
news.yahoo.com...

The thing is the article is not clear who these folks were ,and excuse me if I am wrong but didn't modern us go back before 300kyrs and began to trek out of Africa at about 200kyrs ago???

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It was bigfoot :0

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
posted a few days ago here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and by few days i mean yesterday...
edit on 29-1-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Geez they really need to fix the search function.

new topics

top topics

join