It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for Advice on Ethernet Capable Tablets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Hello all techy ATS'rs.

I am desperately trying to rid my household of wireless ware, especially since I have kids and am becoming more and more paranoid about the detrimental effects of wi-fi.
So, to replace the usage of things like ipad mini (which I myself am very guilty of using to read up on articles on ATS as I snuggle in bed at night), ipods etc for games/web surfing I would really like to buy an ethernet capable tablet.

The idea is to buy one of those 8 port hub switch things that I can plug the router into and which then will give me 7 ethernet ports to connect 3 pc's, an xbox, a laptop and the hopefully up and coming tablet/s into and finally switching off the wi-fi connection in the router.

I have been looking and looking with not a great deal of success, nor expertise on this matter. I have found out on my searches so far, the meaning of some of the specifications on tablets and there are some things that I would prefer to have on an ethernet capable device. These are, capacitive screen, decent resolution (so not as low as 800x600), gravity sensor for games, front and back camera and if possible lockable view (where you can turn the device round and lock the view in that position, like the ipad does). I have seen lots of usb to ethernet converter cables/dongles so there must be ethernet capable tablets to connect to them, right?

I have come across some warnings about clone/fake tablets of seriously sub-standard design called something like Superpad III or Flytouch something.

I am in a realm more or less outwith my expertise and so I ask you all, can you help me please?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
You could try and usb-rj45 adapter but it may not be supported in the devices operating system as most things these days expect to be wireless only so it could be a right royal pain finding a device thats got a usb port and will support an external device as a network adapter and not complain that theres no wireless signal etc

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Thank you for your reply,
Yup that is exactly the problem, finding a tablet that has the software/drivers/'things' that allow it to connect to the internet from a modem, either directly or via one of those usb/ethernet cable/dongles. However, since there are these types of adaptors then I assumed there must be devices that they connect to, I just can't seem to find them to buy. It's very frustrating!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Since radio waves follow the inverse square law – like light, sound and gravity – then each time you double the distance, you get only a quarter of the energy. In other words, the signal strength falls off very rapidly. At normal operating distances, Wi-Fi's intensity is generally so low that it's not worth worrying about: it's just part of the "smog" that is generated by radio and TV signals, AC mains wiring, the motors in home appliances, and the universe in general. The wavelength of Wi-Fi signals is the same as the cosmic background radiation: 12cm. If you're worried, don't go outside. I would be more worried about tripping over the Ethernet cord than my exposure to Wi-Fi.

Are you or someone in your family hypersensitive to EMF?
edit on 29-1-2014 by jtrenthacker because: Added to comment

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Just had a look and it seems like for android theres a certain revision of the OS that has a load of stuff to support this sort of thing but it can be a pain as you may need to root it to be able to do certain superuser functions etc, but the dongles seem to be less than 5 bucks so it won't be too expensive to try a few different ones with different chips inside them

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

Well, I have been looking at a lot of articles/interviews etc on the dangers of wi-fi radiation and I am particularly concerned for my kids. I have had an episode myself in the past where the router used to sit about 12-18 inches away from my lower left leg and I started to develop a very very sore and tender area on my lower left leg. I eventually was worried that I had some sort of DVT and went to the doctor who said it was Thrombophlebitis and gave me cream for it. The cream didn't seem to work and at the same time I came across articles about wi-fi radiation. I contacted my isp to see if I could get a router that did not have wi-fi and it took a couple of weeks to arrive. All the time I was using the cream to no real effect. I then found the new router only had one port (which is useless for me) and so I had to contact the isp again. By this time I had stopped using the cream (it was nearly finished anyway) as it seemed to not be working. I found that my router could have the wi-fi switched off by logging into it (had not realised this until I had contacted the isp for the second time) and was given help to switch off the wi-fi via a phone call to my isp. I was totally amazed to find that my leg, which had been extremely painful, got completely better within about two weeks of having the wi-fi switched off. So, from this experience I do believe that these signals are not good for us.

I now have invested in long ethernet cables and have the router situated in the hall, though devices that receive the wi-fi are in hands, on laps and near heads and this is why I would like to replace them with ones that I can wire in rather than use the wi-fi.

You appear to be knowledgeable about high tech devices, so the question still remains, do you know of any tablets that I can wire into my router, i.e. that are ethernet capable?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

hmmm, some of what you said I did not understand. What do you mean 'root it'? Are there not ones that you can just plug in the cable and it works rather than having to do some sort of computer expertise stuff? I am not too bad on the computer, and can follow instructions to a point, but some things are just way over my head when it comes to coding and getting into the guts of a device.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I do not know of any tablets that have an Ethernet port except for the cheap knockoff tablets that you have already mentioned. The whole point of a tablet is to not be tied down with cords.

The closest thing I could come up with is The Dell Latitude 10 tablet. The tablet itself does not have an Ethernet port but there is an optional dock for it that does. The dock has four USB ports, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, and audio output—enabling you to use a monitor, speakers, wired Ethernet connection, and full-size mouse and keyboard to get things done while sitting at your desk, with the flexibility to just grab the tablet and take it with you when you leave your desk.

Obviously you won't use all of the available ports except for the Ethernet port, but the dock itself doesn't look very big. It might not be a big deal to have the dock on your nightstand and just hold the tablet while still in the dock. However, you will also have the AC cord for the base as well as the Ethernet cord to deal with. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

1- Get rid of any Apple or proprietary OS devices. Avoid Micro$oft, as their new tablet screens can record fingerprints and send them to whatever data center the company wants.

2- Go with the available GNU-Linux tablet systems, like Android (especially its forks like Cyanogenmod) or Ubuntu Touch. Since Google is also an NSA contractor, you may better go for the open-source, community-driven alternatives, that aren't too difficult to install. (It's an issue of wherever you feel it's okay that the NSA profiles your children since early age, so the future government can keep watch over them more than you ever will...)

Then there's some people working out solutions for Ethernet on Android, and there are Android eth drivers. Just follow the links, or do a search with "android Ethernet (or LAN)"

Then you can get cheap Ethernet-MicroUSB adapters on Ebay or elsewhere. Apple-compatible adapters would cost you 5+ times the price.

Screen resolution is actually even more important than EM radiations from the Wifi, as the lower resolutions will have screen refresh frequencies at the EVIL 60 hz, which will burn the retina or your kids quicker than you can imagine, and also mess up their nervous system. Especially given the fact your children will get their eyes plugged on video games at close range and long exposure. There's some tablets out there, even Android ones, pushing for the highest resolutions possible, so they won't be too bad for the eyes.

But the best solution, even if unrealistic, would be to not provide them any of those devices, as it will one way or another turn them into technological slaves, or human drones, if they aren't like that already. Think about that, too.

It's also a mental health issue.
edit on 29/1/14 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

You can buy USB to Ethernet adapters at Radio Shack for around $25.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

Thank you for that information. The base would be a bit of a problem, more for me than anything as I like to read the net in bed and I don't know that the base would work too well on it's side and bundled in covers (it's cold here so need to be fairly well tucked in).

reply to post by Echtelion

Echtelion

1- Get rid of any Apple or proprietary OS devices. Avoid Micro$oft, as their new tablet screens can record fingerprints and send them to whatever data center the company wants.

Woah, I didn't know the MicroSoft tablets are recording fingerprints! That is sooooo sneaky! I know about cameras/mics having the ability to snoop a bit did not realise it was this bad.

2- Go with the available GNU-Linux tablet systems, like Android (especially its forks like Cyanogenmod) or Ubuntu Touch. Since Google is also an NSA contractor, you may better go for the open-source, community-driven alternatives, that aren't too difficult to install. (It's an issue of wherever you feel it's okay that the NSA profiles your children since early age, so the future government can keep watch over them more than you ever will...)

Have to say I don't trust Google either. So are you meaning these are other operating systems that I would have to install on an ethernet capable tablet if I can find one? Did a search for GNU-Linux tablet and came across a forum where it mentioned the WeTab here but I still don't see any mention of ethernet connectivity

Then there's some people working out solutions for Ethernet on Android, and there are Android eth drivers. Just follow the links, or do a search with "android Ethernet (or LAN)"

So does this mean that I could get any android tablet, even if it does not say 'ethernet' or 'lan' in the spec, download ethernet drivers onto it and it will then be ethernet capable with one of those usb-ethernet adaptor cables?

Then you can get cheap Ethernet-MicroUSB adapters on Ebay or elsewhere. Apple-compatible adapters would cost you 5+ times the price

So if there are Apple-compatible adaptors, does that mean there are downloadable drivers that I can install on my iPad mini and using the Apple adaptor make my iPad mini ethernet capable?

Man I feel I am drowning in a sea of Tech-Talk. Reading some of the forums you linked to, I know they are talking English but it feels like it is Martian, coz I don't understand it! Damn I wish I was more Geeky!

Screen resolution is actually even more important than EM radiations from the Wifi, as the lower resolutions will have screen refresh frequencies at the EVIL 60 hz, which will burn the retina or your kids quicker than you can imagine, and also mess up their nervous system. Especially given the fact your children will get their eyes plugged on video games at close range and long exposure. There's some tablets out there, even Android ones, pushing for the highest resolutions possible, so they won't be too bad for the eyes.

Ok, didn't know that either!!! Was wanting decent resolution mainly so the picture would be looking sharp, but this makes it even more important to have.

But the best solution, even if unrealistic, would be to not provide them any of those devices, as it will one way or another turn them into technological slaves, or human drones, if they aren't like that already.
It's also a mental health issue.

I hear ya on that, though it is a bit late now, plus I ditched the TV 6 years ago so pc's / xbox/ ipad/ipod are the main 'toys' and entertainment devices. We do also play card and board games on occasion too and read real books.
edit on 29-1-2014 by CthulhuMythos because: missed a 'reply to' code line

top topics

join