It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*** ALL MEMBERS *** "Turner Radio Network" as a source.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Upon reviewing articles created by "Turner Radio Network", it appears that TRN is interested in creating "shock" hoax articles intermixed with current event news headlines to give the impression of credibility as a news source.

Due to TRN creating apparently deliberate hoax articles, the staff and owners have decided that ALL threads started with TRN as the only source will go directly into the HOAX bin.

Just as with BIN, we do not want to support a "news" outlet that pushes or creates preposterous hoaxes just to gain page views and traffic from ATS members.

Thank you.

BoneZ,
ATS Moderator

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

YAY!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Can you give us an example of what was considered a hoax by TNR. I'm sure there must have been something specific recently to warrant the new rule.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

FlySolo
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Can you give us an example of what was considered a hoax by TNR. I'm sure there must have been something specific recently to warrant the new rule.

perhaps this one?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They have this story
turnerradionetwork.com...
VIDEO: NEWS HELICOPTER FROM KCRA-TV SACRAMENTO AIRS VIDEO OF ROGUE PLANET; INBOUND TOWARD EARTH

edit on 28-1-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Sure.

The most recent in our HOAX bin is Monstrous Earthquake to Hit Mansfield, OH?, where TRN used an image of a known weather phenomenon called "light pillars" created from city lights being reflected by ice crystals in the air, and attempted to claim that phenomenon was "earthquake lights", indicative of a pending earthquake.

The image of earthquake lights from NatGeo, which they even posted along with their story, isn't even in the same ballpark as light pillars.

Then there's another in our HOAX bin: TSA Calls Creator Of YouTube Parody Video And Threatens Him - Video, which was just a parody video, but TRN claims the video is real and hasn't posted a correction or an update to the story after finding out it was a parody.

Then there's this gem: "VISUALLY CONFIRMED: Enormous Craft Detected on Moon". The originator of the story claimed it was just a moon base or structures on the moon, as well as the DEBUNKING of the story, but TRN changed the story from a base to a craft that had landed on the moon, and then claimed that as a result of the craft landing on the moon, NASA launched three rockets for the DoD.

This is my favorite: "VIDEO: NEWS HELICOPTER FROM KCRA-TV SACRAMENTO AIRS VIDEO OF ROGUE PLANET; INBOUND TOWARD EARTH:. They claimed that a rogue planet was blocking part of Venus, and was hurtling towards earth. No proof whatsoever of the claims. The only thing that was videoed was the crescent of Venus.

Here's another one: "PROOF: Rain Brings Radiation To U.S. and Canada From Fukushima". They posted an image of a storm system over the U.S., then posted an image of the Radiation Activity map from the Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center (NETC) at the exact same time, then by their own opinions and interpretations, claimed it was proof without any actual proof.

These are but a few of the many listed on their site.

edit on 28-1-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: spelling

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Was starting to see more and more of those lately...

And just went "huh??" every time lol

Good decision.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is most likely a good thing, but these decisions should be made with extreme care as censorship, and all roads leading to it, are not a path to free discussion on the internet surviving. We must not support silencing alternative media. The membership would do a very nice job of exposing this site, and the other one. We really don't need our "big brother" mods and admins deciding for us what we can and cannot view. We, as a membership will, and have in the past done that quite nicely.

As a Member I ask you, let me judge for myself what is a hoax, let me read all there is to read and make my own judgement. I assure you, we as members, are smart enough to see these things for ourselves.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
So the notation here on ATS which states:

"The Above Top Secret Web site is a wholly owned social content community of The Above Network, LLC. This content community relies on user-generated content from our member contributors. The opinions of our members are not those of site ownership who maintains strict editorial agnosticism and simply provides a collaborative venue for free expression. "

Doesn't apply?

Editorial agnosticism. . . . except when you get told off for calling something a hoax then get proved wrong.

It's so cute to see this temper tantrum unfold; especially by a moderator who publicly claimed his opinions are his own, and not those of ATS, and now mis-uses his position as a moderator to censor an entire web site. The hypocrisy is priceless.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

So glad the ATS staff and volunteers keep an eye on this stuff. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Fantastic point raised about promoting free discussion and not censoring. Sorry but i see so many hoax threads with no sources that are still allowed to continue. Gotta keep searching thru the static and noise to get to the good stuff. Tiring, yes! But there are a few gems here. Lots of disinformation to though.
edit on 28-1-2014 by turnaround because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
That "earthquake lighting" in Ohio which was obviously upward reflections of streetlights and other lights may have been the last straw in a multi-strawed pack. Journalists have an obligation to actually investigate something before publishing it, especially something of the magnitude of scaring as many people as possible in Ohio without having somebody just walk down the block and see if the lights they were using to scare the populace had simple and verifiable sources.

As the OP indicates, this lack of true reporting, coupled with taking the worse case scenario (a doomsday planet hurtling towards Earth - source, Venus's regular pattern) has pushed this non-journalistic outfit into the hoaxbin of history.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by caterpillage

The Group of independent People who research Articles
is really small, i can see it nearly every day in the Japan Forum!

Turner do not belong to the so called "Alternative Media"
but he belong in to the Hoax Bin because he is abusing
People who want to look behind of the Curtain.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Awesome, another junk site added to the BS list

I know people are going to whine & complain, but I'm all for the Banned Sources list. No one in the right mind would stoop to grabbing a copy of Weekly World News at the checkout line and try to pass off their articles as legit in a group, lest they desire being dubbed the neighborhood idiot. Why shouldn't ATS have high journalism standards for threads? Same group discussion context here (rhetorical question, as I'm fairly sure some have fallen for & posted their online articles here)

Shoulders back & chin high. We're better than using low-hanging fruit gutter news sources. If you want gutter news, by all means, hit up google, and the decrepit Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named wasteland if you need to discuss them.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Nyiah
No one in the right mind would stoop to grabbing a copy of Weekly World News at the checkout line and try to pass off their articles as legit in a group, lest they desire being dubbed the neighborhood idiot. Why shouldn't ATS have high journalism standards for threads? Same group discussion context here (rhetorical question, as I'm fairly sure some have fallen for & posted their online articles here)

If you see a story you like at the banned sites there will be other valid sources for it if it is a true story, so use a proper source for your post here.

problem solved!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedReader

"The Above Top Secret Web site is a wholly owned social content community of The Above Network, LLC. This content community relies on user-generated content from our member contributors. The opinions of our members are not those of site ownership who maintains strict editorial agnosticism and simply provides a collaborative venue for free expression. "

There is also a little thing we like to do here and that is Deny Ignorance.

If the admin allows these sites then all they are doing is allowing ignorance and this site would be no better than GLP, and we are way better than that.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by caterpillage

As a Member I ask you, let me judge for myself what is a hoax, let me read all there is to read and make my own judgement. I assure you, we as members, are smart enough to see these things for ourselves.

Then why do we still see threads about...

Nibiru/Planet x

Fema coffins

Fema trains and camps

So obviously some don't seem to want to do that, which is the reason the admin have these types of sites moved to the hoax bin.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedReader

As a site owner I can assure you BoneZ is not "misusing his power" as a Moderator. The only "hypocrisy" I see here is someone (you) defending that site in spite of the facts while trying to present yourself as one who is concerned about journalism and truth. That's RICH...

To the point at hand, ATS has always stood in staunch opposition to hoaxers, hucksters, and charlatans, who create B.S. in the hope of personal gain via page views, or create them just for kicks.

Our decade old mantra of "Deny Ignorance" requires the identification of hoaxes and our own ethics require us to label them as such mostly in the hope of helping people avoid wasting their time, but also to make sure we (ATS) don't promote the crooked garbage in any way.

By moving these "stories" to the HOAX Forum it takes away any link value the hoax could have received by being featured on ATS, we block the search engine spiders from that forum for just that reason.

It's pretty simple really, if you don't like being labeled a hoaxer don't perpetuate hoaxes to drive traffic, create some good, REAL, content and see what happens.

Springer...
edit on 1-29-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Then throw those stupid Daryl Anka (Bashar) threads in the hoax bin too please. The cult follower member who continues to post them here is driving me nuts. But it's not about me however.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I think the difference is that nobody is using a faux alien-wannabee as a source of terror "Be afraid" fakery posing as breaking news.

edit on 29-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

They're supposed to be in the HOAX Forum, if some have slipped through the cracks notify one of the Supermods with a link to it. If you see a new one pop up use the ALERT button.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join