It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn't Light speed theory debunk "Young earth" theory?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Anyone is welcome to correct me on this...

Does Light speed theory debunk "young earth"

Based on my understanding of light speed theory... the universe can not possibly be 6000 years old...

light is traveling at 299 792 458 m/s... And light travels 5 850 000 000 000 miles in one year....

With the technology we have today we can see distant galaxies that are thousands of light years away...

Our own galaxy is over 100 000 light years in diameter... and we can see tons of other galaxies in the known universe...

Now if we can see at least one of these galaxies outside of our own... this means the light we see from said galaxy is just reaching us, thus... that light had to travel the distance from its origin to our telescopes which would take at least a few thousand years...

The Andromeda Galaxy is approx. 2.5 million light years from earth... humans have known about this area in space for over a thousand years...

The Persian astronomer Abd al-Rahman al-Sufi wrote a line about the chained constellation in his Book of Fixed Stars around 964, describing it as a "small cloud".[16][17] Star charts of that period have it labeled as the Little Cloud.

en.wikipedia.org...

This means the light that came from that galaxy has travels for 2.5 million years to get to us.... we are only now seeing what this area in space looked like 2.5 million years ago... clearly we have no idea what it looks like now.

SO back to my original question...

Does this not completely debunk the idea that the universe is only 6000 years old?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
You're using science to prove science. Young Earth proponents wouldn't have none of that.

"It's all a mainstream conspiracy, dontcha know?"

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Nah, the Devil made the stars to trick people into thinking the world wasn't made 6000 years a go.

Duhhhh
edit on 28-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Pistoche
You're using science to prove science. Young Earth proponents wouldn't have none of that.

Technically im using science to disprove a book written millennia ago... the same book that states the world is flat in some spots

Yes it does say that.... it compares the earth to a seal.. which is a small circular FLAT object

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Nicely said. I think you can now confidently state:
    The prosecution rests your honor.

edit on 958pm1616pm42014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Akragon

Pistoche

Technically im using science to disprove a book written millennia ago... the same book that states the world is flat in some spots

Yes it does say that.... it compares the earth to a seal.. which is a small circular FLAT object

where does the Bible say the earth is flat?...or compares it to this "seal" you speak of?
edit on 28-1-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

So....playing devils advocate here....

So....lets say there is an all powerful God that created the heavens and earth and physics and light and everything else.....but he couldn't accelerate light....you know.....so that it corresponded with His "let there be light" speech? I am not saying I believe this idea.....just asking the question.

Powerful enough to invent and make light out of nothing but not powerful enough to accelerate it to his needs.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I like this post but I do have some problems with it. I

I know you didn't really state enough to give me an opinion of how you feel about the bible. You did make a statement that would help me lean towards one though. My reply isn't pointed directly what you said. It's more just how I feel.

I personally believe that over time the bible has been re-written if not at the very least edited in ways to make it unrecognizable. Some of the messages might hold some merit but we can't say whats true or not. Same with history. I just don't think we should give negative impressions about those who are mislead. Instead try to guide them. With people of strong belief this may be challenging but to me, people who aren't willing to try are as looked down on by me like those strong believers are looked down on by others. Teach and progress.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus
reply to post by Akragon

So....lets say there is an all powerful God that created the heavens and earth and physics and light and everything else.....but he couldn't accelerate light....you know.....so that it corresponded with His "let there be light" speech? I am not saying I believe this idea.....just asking the question.

Powerful enough to invent and make light out of nothing but not powerful enough to accelerate it to his needs.

interesting theory, but i don't think anyone here will be willing to accept the idea. Theorize how it was done, it may be a different story.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If creation were true it sure would make it easy to determine the distance between the earth and the stars. It would start with a dark sky, nothing but the moon. After some time a single star would appear. Since we would know the exact date the universe was created it would just be simple math to determine how long the light would take to reach us.

Even after 6000 years there would only be a handful of stars in the sky and new ones appearing all the time. Since this is not happening, either every star in the sky is no more than 6000 light years away, or the creation story is nothing more than a story made up by people seeking an answer to a question they were incapable of answering.

DC

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus
reply to post by Akragon

My argument against would be, why does he need to accelerate the light from a planet that is 2.5 million lightyears away which we can't see with the naked eye?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

iRoyalty

UxoriousMagnus
reply to post by Akragon

My argument against would be, why does he need to accelerate the light from a planet that is 2.5 million lightyears away which we can't see with the naked eye?

this same argument could be the very idea that could give reason to how/why it was done. For instance, the theory we are made of light, and/or the human digestive system is hundreds of thousands of years old.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
but you have to keep in mind as well that a "year" is relative to the time it takes for this planet to orbit around it's sun and it can vary depending on the age of the planet/solar system.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Well how is obvious, if God created the universe then he should know how to control light lol

Considering we come from cells that for in our mothers wombs, I can safely say my digestive system is only about 23 and a half years old, unless I'm missing your point??

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

iRoyalty
reply to post by Jarring

Well how is obvious, if God created the universe then he should know how to control light lol

Considering we come from cells that for in our mothers wombs, I can safely say my digestive system is only about 23 and a half years old, unless I'm missing your point??

lol, i meant like.. hmm.. "our" digestive system, does that make more sense? I'm using the theory I got somewhere else awhile back, IDK if it's well known, I thought it was interesting, so I held onto the idea. IDK if it's true of course, it's just a theory.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

iRoyalty

UxoriousMagnus
reply to post by Akragon

maybe because God has millions of "experiments" going on out there....we would call aliens.....why would he make the whole universe just for us....I would assume he has plenty going on out there...

as for the can't see with the naked eye....what about human curiosity and discovery? you can't see atoms or single cells either with the naked eye but they are there and serve a very important purpose

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
this guy is a more practical Christian than me I Think lol

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
To put it bluntly, yes it does. There are tons of other things that prove the "young Earth" theory wrong as well.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What you are saying is completely logical.

Since when have the young earth creationists cared about logic?

Case and point: ahem maybe he speed up light. My Question to that is: Why not make light faster to begin with?

To answer that question they would understand why their statement about speeding up light is....errr...bogus.

Anyway it doesn't matter because magic trumps logic in their mind. Every time we point out something logical they curse the Muggle's.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

So basically your explanation is "God dun it"? Nice.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join