It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's play devil's advocate and pretend we're all Creationists. What then, is the creation story

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Let's all play devil's advocate here and really try to be honest. Let's just pretend that we're all creationists and that we all believe that God Created the Universe. Fine. But here comes the hard part. In a brief paragraph, what is the/your creation story. If you had to put a blurb in a school science text book, what would you put?

I only start this thread because I'm sick of the creation vs evolution threads that really leave out the meat of the argument. It's really about Christianity vs evolution and young earth Christian creationists against the rest of us. Meh.

I'll start: I do believe that God created the Universe, so I suppose that makes me a creationist, except...I'm not a Christian, I don't believe in Genesis and do believe that however God created and planed the universe she did it with the big bang and energy and quantum mechanics and evolution everything else and here we are. Nature is the way of creation. There was no first human. Adam and Eve, but there was evolution. There was no God created everything in seven days, but the Universe is ever expanding and changing and the Galaxies formed and the solar systems formed and our earth formed and life on earth formed over billions of years, just as life has formed and evolved on billions of earthlike planets in the billions of galaxies that we can't even see yet with our primitive technology. So there was God before the big bang and all of nature and science is Gods way of creating. Just my opinion. What's yours?
edit on 28-1-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
One day God caused a big explosion from nothing then in the space of 6000 years we went from a single cell to War-Gods.

The End.

ETA: Might have been more than 6000 years - still being debated.

edit on 28-1-2014 by Sublimecraft because: Chronology is out of whack a bit

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

amazing
I only start this thread because I'm sick of the creation vs evolution threads that really leave out the meat of the argument. It's really about Christianity vs evolution and young earth Christian creationists against the rest of us. Meh.

I am not sure how you have boiled this down to just one religion when others have their creation stories too....be honest, your beef is with Christianity and not necessary creationism...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

ownbestenemy

amazing

I am not sure how you have boiled this down to just one religion when others have their creation stories too....be honest, your beef is with Christianity and not necessary creationism...

That's true, but when we do have debates about Creationism it always boils down to Christians vs Atheists. What about the rest of us? What about every other religion in the world? Most people taking the purely scientific slant stop at the big bang without any consideration of what happened prior. So that doesn't really cut it either.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Agreed but you were the one playing Devil's advocate in this regard. I am not discounting your question, but was just curious.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
every now and then in the chaos of existence, creation gets rebooted, ironically by it's own paradox of having to require an existing point to create from.

lol
/shrug

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

I do believe that whatever written in the bible is true because it is the true Hysterical Records of God and his Chosen People.

peace.
edit on 28-1-2014 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Creation story? I don't believe there was one
At least not a first one.

I believe physical creation itself is eternal, uncreated, with no beginning. No idea in what form this would take. Endless cycles of Big Bangs and Big Crunches perhaps. Some undiscovered mechanism of a completely self-sustaining Universe.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

dodol
reply to post by amazing

I do believe that whatever written in the bible is true because it is the true Hysterical Records of God and his Chosen People.

peace.

i like reading the bible and perceiving through all of it's different emotions and interpretations of intent it has acquired over the years...language changes and so do the meanings of words, as well as the things we describe. I can't just simply understand the Bible unfortunately, I have to dig through all of it's interpretations as if I were devouring multiple souls within text. The Bible isn't the only place I do that though.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

dodol
reply to post by amazing

peace.

Hysterical indeed!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

hi brother,

my post about bible was not a serious one.
i just write it to humor everyone

these days i dun post serious message anymore haha

honestly, i also don't understand most of the things (probably all) in bible.
imho, most of its verses can have different meanings to anyone.
there is no ultimate interpretations. no right or wrong.
it can be true or false or true and false at the same time.

peace

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

dodol
reply to post by Jarring

hi brother,

these days i dun post serious message anymore haha

honestly, i also don't understand most of the things (probably all) in bible.
imho, most of its verses can have different meanings to anyone.
there is no ultimate interpretations. no right or wrong.
it can be true or false or true and false at the same time.

peace

i got it

Was just talking

Your point kind of goes a long with what I was saying though. Sometimes I digest a lot more than I bargained for, sometimes less. Seems like it's less more times than not these days.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

dodol
reply to post by Jarring

hi brother,

Objective complete. Well played, my friend..

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

The debate occurs because certain Christians cannot accept evolution into their worldview. They believe that evolution and the bible cannot coexist and that evolution is actively seeking to disprove Christianity. However, this isn't true, evolution is only seeking to prove what it says. There is nothing in the theory of evolution that says that a god or gods cannot exist. Then YEC's take it a step further and try to view the theory as some sort of religion and think that what the theory says is gospel and that if they can disprove one thing, the whole thing is disproven. It's all nonsense, and stems from ignorant people refusing to learn the science necessary to understand the concepts (or just science in general since many of YEC arguments boil down to not understanding the scientific method).

The reason this debate doesn't occur between other religions, is because those religions CAN accept evolution into their worldview and aren't so close minded that they cannot change their beliefs as new information about our universe and how it works is discovered.
edit on 28-1-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
''Mommy! Mommy! I made boom boom and there's little wiggly things in it!''

''Wiggly things? Like worms?''

''No... They say they're hoo-mans...''

"Dump it like the rest."

"But I wanted to play with - "

"Morg!"

"But Mommy - "

"MORG!"

"Fine..."
edit on 28-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

I dislike intelligent design because it downplays the intelligence that's found in all life even on smaller scales. It states that there must have been a creator because otherwise how could something so wonderful and amazing exist. That life needs a conscious controller of all things otherwise it can't be explained.

Like saying water in a river needs a creator to flow.

I also dislike intelligent design theories because they assume that the universe has a start and an end. I haven't seen any indication that the rest of the universe plays by our rules of time. To state that something "Created" the universe is making assumptions on time being something that can have a beginning and end.

Now big bang isn't perfect and who knows what really happened before, what the universe was like prior to the explosion but it makes a lot more sense than some conscious being creating all things.

My creation story is that every part of matter seeks to exist and therefore is a creator within itself. Therefore we are the intelligent design, at the molecular and even down to quarks(or whatever else we haven't quite discovered yet).

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

sometimes I think we are vain by intelligent design

btw, the idea of beginning and ending I think comes from where God created and it was done, it "ended". Everything thereafter was by the free will within his creation. God still comes before and after that free will, perhaps it was just extended.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Sublimecraft
One day God caused a big explosion from nothing then in the space of 6000 years we went from a single cell to War-Gods.

The End.

ETA: Might have been more than 6000 years - still being debated.

edit on 28-1-2014 by Sublimecraft because: Chronology is out of whack a bit

The 6,000 years bit is not accepted by anyone outside of fringe culture, it's just an easy stick to hit people with.

I find it more interesting that people always treat this as an either/or situation. Although it's not something that I spend a lot of time thinking about, I have no issues with an element of a divine creator that actually designed for evolution - seems to make more sense if you want to believe in creationism as a concept rather than the very prescribed concepts people on either side adhere to.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by amazing

I also dislike intelligent design theories because they assume that the universe has a start and an end. I haven't seen any indication that the rest of the universe plays by our rules of time. To state that something "Created" the universe is making assumptions on time being something that can have a beginning and end.

I'm not sure about that as I haven't read any scientific theory that doesn't state that at some point this universe didn't exist. The debate (which I'm not sure can ever be answered) is what was there before - absolute complete nothingness, an earlier universe that had itself succeeded one before itself etc. etc.

Intelligent design theory stating the universe has an end? Not read that myself, but then scientific theory isn't agreed on this either.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by uncommitted

It's not exactly a fringe idea here in the United States. Here is an article that talks about the issue and while it initially reports almost half of the population believes in YEC, it whittles that number down to 1 in 10 which is still a considerable amount of people.

How many Americans actually believe the earth is only 6,000 years old?

Last year, Gallup once again reported that nearly half of the country believe the Biblical version of events: “Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.”

“In short, then, the hard core of young-earth creationists represents at most one in ten Americans — maybe about 31 million people — with another quarter favoring creationism but not necessarily committed to a young earth,” Rosenau concludes. “One or two in ten seem firmly committed to evolution, and another third leans heavily toward evolution. About a third of the public in the middle are open to evolution, but feel strongly that a god or gods must have been involved somehow, and wind up in different camps depending how a given poll is worded.”

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join