It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STAR WARS GALAXIES FANS...REJOICE!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Looks like SOE is HINTING at bringing back Star Wars Galaxies!!!!!

During Friday's AMA event with Sony Online Entertainment, SOE President John Smedley discussed a currently unannounced title that is dedicated to the fans of the now closed MMO, Star Wars Galaxies.

The early days of SWG attracted thousands of MMO fans and it has quickly become one of the most popular closed MMO's in history. Sadly certain development changes and updates caused much of the community to move to greener pastures but Smedley and his crew aren't oblivious to the mistakes that were made.

Q: If you could relaunch a shutdown title, which one would you pick and what would you do differently this time? Smedley: SWG. I would do everything differently. SWG Players - Our next game (not announced yet) is dedicated to you. Once we launch it...you can come home now.

A keen-eyed reader from the AMA event then discovered an image that gives credit to recent rumors suggesting that the Star Wars Galaxies trademark had been renewed. This of course could mean many things, some of which don't involve the release of a new Star Wars game, but combined with Smedley's comments - it's the best hope we've had for a revived SWG since its closure.

Story

Oh I am SOOOOO looking forward to this!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
i
tottally missed out on the original SWG, but i am waiting with bated breath for this one

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Had some fun times on SWG but i doubt a reboot will have the same appeal and what about TOR as they had to close down SWG before TOR was released so is that going to be put out to pasture soon?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

That's interesting news. However, you don't have to wait. You can play the original SWG right now:

www.swgemu.com...

SWGEmu is a Star Wars Galaxy Emulator which focuses on remaking the game pre-CU or pre-combat upgrade. The update to the game that started the downhill spiral to the game's demise.

They've been working on the emulator since 2006, and it's almost complete. Just about everything is working except for the professions of Droid Engineer, Creature Handler, and Bio-Engineer. And they are currently working on those as we speak.

The emulator is 100% free to play. When the main game is completed, they plan on making new worlds, and eventually space flight.

There are usually anywhere from 1500-3000 people playing SWGEmu at any given moment. And you can always see how many people are online from the main page linked above.

Another game coming down the pipe is called The Repopulation, which will be a sandbox game with many of the features of SWG that we miss and loved.

So, SWG fans should be rejoicing with all these wonderful options.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I have the emulator, but unfortunately alot of the servers arent persistent with restarts and just disappearing

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I never played it but heard great things about it.

I will def be involved with this one. It's a can't miss in my opinion.

-SAP-

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Me and my pals played this when it first came out and we picked one guy to go Jedi....the thing was it was super hard to be a jedi, it took months of playing and protecting our Jedi and then they copcked it all up changing the game so anyone could be a Jedi....we just stopped after that.
I loved it that there was only a few Jedis walking around and our pal was one
but every player wanted to be a jedi with no hard work needed...ruined the game.
I hope they bring it back but before the "millions of jedis walking about patch".

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I still have the original SWG: A Empire Divided collectors edition .. only thing that is missing.. is the cellophane wrapper ...paid $80.00

I played it for a month or so .. ? I had massive amounts of credits in a very short time.. I could buy anything I wanted and kinda took the challenge out of the game ..

but the box looks great

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

boymonkey74
Me and my pals played this when it first came out and we picked one guy to go Jedi....the thing was it was super hard to be a jedi, it took months of playing and protecting our Jedi and then they copcked it all up changing the game so anyone could be a Jedi....we just stopped after that.
I loved it that there was only a few Jedis walking around and our pal was one
but every player wanted to be a jedi with no hard work needed...ruined the game.
I hope they bring it back but before the "millions of jedis walking about patch".

agreed~!

I loved the instant spawns you would come across and had to make a decision on what to do. I always woundered why they couldn't come up with a better system to assist in the Jedi creation.

in SWTOR, everyone is a Jedi and light sabers can't cut through simple metal .. or hack a robot in half with one swing ..

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Loved this game... still amazed how a company can simply 'shut it down'... reminds me of another one that I loved, TRIBES.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I very much doubt this will be another Star Wars game or direct sequel to Galaxies, but rather a new franchise that takes some of the concepts and gameplay elements that Galaxies fans found most endearing.

See these two tweets:

twitter.com...

twitter.com...

There was also a tweet somewhere showing a render of a church at day and at night (can't seem to find it anywhere). I'm predicting it'll be some sort of post apocalypse type game (zombie apocalypse possibly) where players form their own communities and services, etc.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I loved Starwars Galaxies

Any EU chimera server here?

Loved the game.....till the Jedi Fanbois moved in. ARRRRRGGGGGGG.

Jedi were meant to be rare powerfull things. Instead they became common dim a dozen weak things that every little kid had.

No to mention the unsustainable grinding economy the Jedi rush caused. Trying to find a good crafter was like trying to find a honnest politican.

I went BH just to hunt the scum down and grief them!

Never wanted to be a Jedi but in one stupid stroke the Devs made every combat profession useless.

Infact the game went down hill after the first 6 months when they nerfed the AT ST.
edit on 17-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

EU-Chim here - always remember that theres was to be a big Imp V Reb fight on Dant, about 120 of us from our guild landed and the FPS dropped to zero but chat stayed up for a while till the server completely went down for about 4-5 hours, then there was the KDS Lok event where the CSR's promised it would sty up and they had Vader/AT-AT's and guess what the server went down

Once they f'd up the combat and pvp it soon went down hill and when i got a 7 day free pass it was terrible looking at all the empty places and only a few people remaining but at least they'd still got my suit of RIS armour that cost me most of the money i got for one of the servers first legendary weapons (that broke on first repair)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Maxatoria
reply to post by crazyewok

EU-Chim here - always remember that theres was to be a big Imp V Reb fight on Dant, about 120 of us from our guild landed and the FPS dropped to zero but chat stayed up for a while till the server completely went down for about 4-5 hours, then there was the KDS Lok event where the CSR's promised it would sty up and they had Vader/AT-AT's and guess what the server went down

Once they f'd up the combat and pvp it soon went down hill and when i got a 7 day free pass it was terrible looking at all the empty places and only a few people remaining but at least they'd still got my suit of RIS armour that cost me most of the money i got for one of the servers first legendary weapons (that broke on first repair)

I WAS THERE!!!!! For both!!!

HAHA

KDS Here i was one of there officers.

I still think our city of luxor on lok was the best city on the sever.

You didnt buy that leg weapon from johnson did you? Lol

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
No i found it on a nightsister while farming elders i found a group of lesser ones while going from site to site and whammo free 25 mill creds, which i didn't need so there was a set of RIS i got for the lulz

Luxor was always a good place to go and i had a large house just outside it and the running joke i always remember was the lesser members had to basically have /salute on macro as when they saw an officer they had to salute, and i can remember slicing the LS of your guild leader once as well. and luxor at one point was much better when you could station at-st's in the properties and you'd see them patrolling..really made it stand out

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Maxatoria
No i found it on a nightsister while farming elders i found a group of lesser ones while going from site to site and whammo free 25 mill creds, which i didn't need so there was a set of RIS i got for the lulz

Luxor was always a good place to go and i had a large house just outside it and the running joke i always remember was the lesser members had to basically have /salute on macro as when they saw an officer they had to salute, and i can remember slicing the LS of your guild leader once as well. and luxor at one point was much better when you could station at-st's in the properties and you'd see them patrolling..really made it stand out

Yup. We took our role as a a Imperial Regiment pretty serouisly.
We had a full blown rank structure from private up to colonol. We even had a boot camp for recruits and due to our high application numbers we could be brutal on who we ket in
. It paid off though as 9/10 we would rip through the rebel guilds in PvP infact it got too easy. Always a good sign when your in one of the most hated and despised guilds by the rebs haha

My RL mate (in game name rippy jimoo) left kds and first thing he did was kill our leader molan lol

And yeah luxor with it storm trooper and at st patrols was cool.
Did you know we used to take it in shifts to guard the luxor base for rebel attacks at night ?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I can remember getting some invites to KDS led raids
was always fun, and i can remember being told that theres always someone online 24x7 and there was also i assume the planted character at the starport to watch for incoming groups, one guy i knew in KDS before he got kicked for selling his account would tell us that he'd be up at 4-5am if a base needed blowing up and if he wasn't online he would get a call.

The best part about the pvp in swg was after it all died down everyone would be in the cantina (if you wasn't citybanned) chatting afterwards and our city was a med centre so people would go to get better buffs and one of my favourite things was to city ban a couple out of a raiding party so they couldn't use the shuttle to leave so had to ride back to coro-lag
and really used to annoy them

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

What was your screen name? But yeah they wernt lying. There was always someone on patrol in the citys and at the spaceport. We also had a huge spy network too in most the major rebel guilds. I was a handler for a TSA spy for awhile

Our own fault really. for about 3 months we took out every rebel base on the server and went round bragging how no one ever got near our Luxor base. Put a huge target on us. Especialy after we decimated the TSA base in a pretty shamfull rebel defeat. Dunno if you were there for that one? TSA and all the major reb guilds set a ambush up for KDS and we got wind of it and while they were all waiting for us we went round the back and blew there base up. Were I got my KDS commsion
After that TSA and a few major guilds formed a Special PvP team dedcated to the destroying luxor base so we went full on alert. Think we help them off for 2 months.

And yeah we had a special forces team of base blowers that I was on being BH. Normaly we would go in at normal times with the rest of the KDS companys as support and Auxilliarys from other guilds ect But if the demolition window was at a odd time or someone put a base up in secret we would just go in and blow at what ever hour. For about 6 weeks every rebel base had a life expectancy of 2 hours
We ended up scaling the program back as some rebels guild leaders started to give up, one even quit the game

Yeah I got cityban powers when I got into the KDS senior command. Used to city ban my mate that played for giggles and laughs

edit on 18-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I had 2 acc's on SWG my chars were Kryptoz and D'Great-Cow Moo-Moo-d'Moo-Moo who always ran around in black and white clothing and was always getting funny whispers

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Maxatoria
I had 2 acc's on SWG my chars were Kryptoz and D'Great-Cow Moo-Moo-d'Moo-Moo who always ran around in black and white clothing and was always getting funny whispers

I remember D'Great-Cow Moo-Moo-d'Moo-Moo !

I was Eci Kosi

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join