It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many members here have atempted to engage your representatives in dialog?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I've only been a member here at ATS for a short while, but have had the site book marked for years. I see a good dialog, usually respectful among the members arguing their points of view. I like to follow threads about our government and read the varying points of view while I don't agree with all or even a lot of you I like the political discourse. I read breaking news about meaningful events and some times get fired up. I'll start to write a thoughtful response, sometimes I can't even finish because I find that I am contradicting myself or wandering off topic before I can complete the post. I find it a quite useful tool in that regards. Thinking about what I truly believe and how sometimes my emotional response and preconceived notions disappear or fall apart when I start to lay it out on paper so to speak.

I notice that we here at ATS have strong views about how our government should represent us, my question to you is: Do you write letters or emails to your representatives in Washington? If so, do you believe your views are being represented by your representatives? If not why don't you? If you feel strongly about something strong enough to argue with avatars and back your arguments with facts or cite articles, then why don't you share these views with your representatives in Washington DC.

I've become more politically involved in the last few years than I ever had before. I always voted but never really felt it mattered. Then by chance I stopped and talked to a neighbor at the local market, who was campaigning for a presidential candidate during the last election. I was encouraged to attend my first precinct caucus, where I was elected as a delegate to represent my precinct at the county caucus. It was very empowering and would recommend it to anyone feeling that their vote doesn't matter. Since then I feel that I have a say, maybe I'm just one voice but if I don't speak then who will hear me. I now regularly email my representatives in Washington DC and State to express my views and give them a piece of my mind if I feel the need. After all how will they know what their constituency want and how they feel if they don't hear from them directly.

I'd like to hear from you ATS, do you engage your representatives in dialog? Why? Why not? How? About What?

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyMentat

I have engaged my Reps, or rather I should say that I have engaged their staff. Of which are often not knowing what they are talking about in the local area.

I've lost a lot of faith in our Gov't recently.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I have done it for years, sending E-mails and keeping up with the state politics, specially proposed and the passing of bills.

I have received a few letters back in official paper, explaining why they are voting the way they do I mean my representatives.

I am not too happy with many of their votes but hey, is not much we can do this days, after all we the common people do not have the same financial backing that most lobbyist in Washington, you know money talks and BS walk.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

marg6043

I am not too happy with many of their votes but hey, is not much we can do this days, after all we the common people do not have the same financial backing that most lobbyist in Washington, you know money talks and BS walk.

That is my major point i try to get across to people. But they just don't get the way the system is laid out. How everything works.

I believe this above all else leads people to not talk to their reps and voice their opinions. It also causes people to not vote, or to vote for the lesser of the two evils the media portrays come polling time.

I cant say i know it all, but i have been an observer for a long time. i believe have a firm grasp of the complexity of the inner working of our government.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Sadly when you learn on how the government work and what we the people are against to, you wonder about what difference we can make, when we the people can not even get united to fight back.

Many years ago I did a thread here about who congress works for, I did research in how once congress is open for business is like an auction block where they sell themselves to the highest bidder, in this case the many lobbyist that parade the halls of congress looking for who they will fatten the pockets in order to push their bills first, see most bills in the house are not even written by our elected officials, they are the work of lobbyist working for private interest.

Once you learn the truth you will not see government the same way ever again.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I couldn't agree more with you.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Here's a real second-hand observation.

My step-father, a high school classmate, and an old Army buddy are people I know who became 'elected' officials. During the span of their elected employment, they were all 'different' people and unapproachable. It was fairly obvious to me that they each had personal agendas and foremost on their lists of things-to-do was get re-elected.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know ... dwell on it for a bit.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

What i would like to know is whose had belongs to whom and whose cookie jar is it in.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I write (email) all the Senators and Congresspeople.

usually weekly and make a blanket statement about current issues.

I get some responses but not many mostly just acknowledgments.

Only some points get a direct response.

Most direct responses are in favor of views and solutions.

Some are from opposing reps or at least their staff.

The more controversial are the ones that get a "nervous" or "blanket defense" response to my opposing views.

Similar to some responses to topics here on ATS, some issues trigger a nerve or two.

I can "feel" the cold sweat sometimes.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
reply to post by Snarl

What i would like to know is whose had belongs to whom and whose cookie jar is it in.

It is in fact ... just the opposite. In politics, it's whose cookie jar remains sealed that's important.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

xuenchen

The more controversial are the ones that get a "nervous" or "blanket defense" response to my opposing views.

Similar to some responses to topics here on ATS, some issues trigger a nerve or two.

Brings me back to JFK. Who would challenge the status quo when they can see the strength of their resolve.

If you follow my flow?

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Snarl

shaneslaughta
reply to post by Snarl

It is in fact ... just the opposite. In politics, it's whose cookie jar remains sealed that's important.

Ahh you mean to say, figure out who is trustworthy?

If so

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I hear what guys and gals are saying, I know it's an up hill battle communicating with those in Washington. I sent my 40th or 41st email to my reps this week and usually only get a form letter acknowledging my attempt to contact them. Sometimes I get a letter that a staffer writes, but it usually doesn't answer my specific concerns. As much as it feels like a lost cause I would encourage you to continue contacting your reps. We need to keep them informed of our expectations.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

MonkeyMentat
As much as it feels like a lost cause I would encourage you to continue contacting your reps. We need to keep them informed of our expectations.

Yup. They are our voice, they need to follow our wishes.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Yes i get it.

you might want to look at this thread......

very interesting speculations

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

xuenchen

...The more controversial are the ones that get a "nervous" or "blanket defense" response to my opposing views.

Those are my favorite responses, I at least know they heard me and spent the time to craft a letter that doesn't really say anything but address my concerns. At least I know I've been heard. They might not like what I have to say (it's not like I voted for them any way), but at least they listened for a moment.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I know or have known about four politicians fairly well in the past. I actually did not feel out of place at all talking with them. They worry about the direction things are going as much as we do, but they can't seem to solve the problem. The ones I know are pretty good people.

One died many years ago after putting in years of service. He was definitely a little strong headed but he did get things for the districts he was elected to represent. The other three guys I know did try to do right, but the economy and social structure of the country is pretty messed up. They cannot do miracles. People have become too dependent on the government these days. Government was meant to govern us, not supply us with money to get all these local projects done. It got messed up.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Snarl
Here's a real second-hand observation.

My step-father, a high school classmate, and an old Army buddy are people I know who became 'elected' officials. During the span of their elected employment, they were all 'different' people and unapproachable. It was fairly obvious to me that they each had personal agendas and foremost on their lists of things-to-do was get re-elected.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know ... dwell on it for a bit.

Oddly enough, during a period in my life concerning the military, the Reps who I originally thought could help, couldn't. Their staff was clueless.

The one guy who I have never voted for however did have a good staff and knew their business. That was amazing in my eyes. That was a eye opening experiance. But I have to be true to myself and have yet to vote for his re-election for other reasons that are local. But he did stay true to his mission. That is all I ask for in my Rep. He has my respect.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Growing up in a suburb of Los Angeles I honestly had no idea that you could approach government local or otherwise. This was likely due to the fact that none of the adults in my life had any involvement other than the obligatory trip to the local elementary school to cast their votes.

I wasn't until I moved to Northern California was I exposed to idea of direct involvement in the process. I was asked and became a member of the PTO at my daughters elementary and later president, from there chose to work with the local school board as an adviser representing that same school. Council meetings have a robust and involved citizen attendance. The opportunity to be a part of the workings of government on many levels are everywhere and very much encouraged around here.

Writing letters and making contact with the higher levels of government is something I do regularly and I do get the standard form letters, but for the most part I do seem to get a more personal response. One Rep in particular seems to take seriously the idea that he does in fact work for the people who elected him and has responded to me quite a few times, once in particular when I was having trouble with my disability issues.

This being said the larger fish do seem to have a safety net separating us from them but I personally refuse to stop speaking up loudly and often.

Penny

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I have written letters. Useless as they were. I have spoken to a few powerful people...that was more beneficial for me than them. I am beyond all that now. I dont want to save the world. I aim to make reality.

"I can see clearly now, the rain has gone"

Be the ultimate you. F the world. Love it as it is.

edit on 1 27 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join