It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking's new theory offers black hole escape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking's new theory offers black hole escape
Wow! This is interesting!!

Stephen Hawking has a new mind-bending theory about black holes, the bizarre cosmic objects that cemented his reputation as the world's most famous living scientist. Rather than getting sucked into a singularity of confusion, read our explainer

What exactly is a black hole?
Good question. According to theoretical physicists, they used to be regions of space-time – the fabric that makes up the universe – that have become so dense that their huge gravity generates an event horizon, from inside which nothing, not even light, can escape. Then in 1974, Hawking added quantum mechanics to the black hole picture and sparked a row that has raged on until the present day.

The article is a "FAQ" format, so I won't bother to highlight more of it - but...

go to the article and see how he has changed his theory!!

I watch this forum, but am not an astrophysicist by ANY stretch. I am, however, very interested in "quantum theory" as it collides with "relativity"...and would like to know more about what you all think.

Explain it to me?? Someone??

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Okay, yes, I will post a bit more of it!! LOL!

The theory of Hawking radiation also suggested that when a black hole dies, it takes everything inside with it, but that is a big quantum no-no. Quantum physics says that information about matter is never destroyed, even when it falls into a black hole. Other theorists suggested solving this "information paradox" by allowing information to escape from the black hole as it evaporated. Hawking disagreed – until 30 years later, when he showed how it might be possible and was forced to concede a seven-year-old wager with another physicist.

It's yet another quantum versus relativity showdown!
Indeed. Firewalls mean that one of the two theories is wrong, so physicists have been scrambling to find a compromise that doesn't produce these flaming problems. Now Hawking has waded in and says the solution is to give up the very thing that makes black holes so intriguing – the event horizon.

ANyway, there ya go, folks.

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Does it matter if Hawking is right?
If black holes are how he describes, it could lead to a better understanding of quantum mechanics and general relativity. "We might learn some new physics, which may have real implications about the non-trivial structure of the universe," says Braunstein. But he also points out that we might not.

Does Hawking mind being wrong?
Everyone hates being wrong – and Hawking is human. On his 70th birthday, he told New Scientist that he regards his idea that information was destroyed by black holes, which later turned out to be wrong, as his "biggest blunder" – in science, at least.

And that's what we need. A better understanding of quantum mechanices and general relativity.

We all make "blunders" - but, in my opinion, we need to do that to grow.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm not a scientist by any means but if the multiverse theory is true why can't the black holes be bridges between universes? Maybe energy can only be transmitted to another universe after it has been compressed to a smaller size.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Hawking seems to be vying for notoriety rather than doing science.

A 2 page paper with nothing but assertions. There are a lot of other black hole themes that have much more work behind them. May be it will catch on anyway, but with out making a prediction that might be testable, what good is it?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Previously posted.

But you should add your link to the existing thread because I think a few people in there might be in need of an FAQ…

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Oh, wow! I used the 'search' and didn't see anything recent about him at all. Thanks, boncho.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Aguyfrommars

I'm not a scientist by any means but if the multiverse theory is true why can't the black holes be bridges between universes? Maybe energy can only be transmitted to another universe after it has been compressed to a smaller size.

EXACTLY!!!

I've been thinking that for years now! It makes sense in so many ways - especially as the 'origin' of OUR "Big Bang" universe.

But hell, I don't know. Like you, I'm not a physicist, astro or otherwise.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Sorry but I don't think the guy is so brilliant. Is it the wheelchair that makes him know everything about aliens ,the cosmos and anything else that he could never prove ? Anyone can speculate about a black hole but this guy gets recognition for his theories, don't get it. He isn't rain man, or is he ?
edit on 26-1-2014 by lotusfoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
perhaps the Black Holes are stripping only the dark matter & dark energy from the matter/energy that is natural to this physical universe of material stuff...

IOW, the gravity & Non Material Dark Matter/Energies are what compose a BH... so the event horizon and gamma energy jets being ejected from the BH poles are all & only ...the 'stuff' of this universe and abiding by the laws of Physics wheras the dark matter/dark energy concentrated in the BH are not under the physics or laws & rules of Quantum mechanics nor relativity

one poster mentioned that perhaps BH was a bridge or gateway to other universes in the multiverse.... star

might the BH in this universe be the 'filters' that keep this physical & matter Cosmos from spilling into other multiverses?
if that's the case then we must look at Dark Matter & Dark Energy as a "nutral substance" that exists in all the many universes
and must be condensed within Black Holes or else the equilibrium of this universe would be altered & the Cosmos might become chaotic instead of the ever expanding model we have now

edit on th31139074310326312014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

join