It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to live on a boat

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Na, it's all good. Just think of the payoff.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

In response to your statement that statistically men who do this, the ex got the house and it's a great way to pick up a new woman in a bikini no less, trust me ! . First of all when shopping for a sailboat, make sure it is big enough for you to stand up straight inside of it. second, go with fiberglass or aluminum, wood rots , and fiberglass and aluminum are stable as far as less maintenance in that area, but don't kid yourself sailboats require a certain degree of physical maintenance, especially depending on where you are moored. some of the brands you want to look for are Pearson, Catalina, Beneteau, or Hunter. you can get some pretty good deals on those with the kind of room you need as a full time living space. You definitely want it to have single handed rigging. you want your mainsail to be a stack pack and your foresail or genoa to be on a roller furling. Now you have heard the term swabbing the decks, you will be doing that on a regular basis, keeping your yacht clean of bugs and spiders will keep you a happy sailboat owner. Another concern you will have will be that it is big enough that there is a shower indoors, you'll know what I mean when you actually start going out to the boat yards and start looking at them. Autopilot is another one of those big deals when shopping, you'll understand why when you actually do start sailing. Your probably going to want to go with at least a 36 footer trust me. You are definitely going to need 2 different reverse osmosis watermakers, you will want a Katadyn 6 for your emergency backup, and a Katadyn 35 electric/ with manual pump as well as your main. you are going to need your own electricity supply, I recommend a mix of solar and wind, 10 Amp hours of each, and a good battery bank with you'll need about 800 amp hours. that sounds a lot bigger than it really is. That's about 4 of the biggest deep cycle batteries they make, these batteries are about twice as long as a car battery and the same width as a car battery. you are going to want to use petit brand bottom paint it will be called micron optima, it's over a hundred dollars a gallon but you will be thankful you used it as it has a 3 to 5 year life where lesser versions have a 1 year lifespan, you will also have to make sure you that it is a saltwater stable paint the people over at West Marine will be able to help you with that. The Power inverter you will need can also Be purchased over at West Marine, get something that is at least 5000 watts trust me on that too. I have to end this post the character counter isn't working and I don't know how much more room I have for this post.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I know someone who lives on a boat, they have a real problem fighting toxic mold. Yes it is a lot of work and not very comfortable, they actually watch TV and eat at their Mother-inlaws house because it is just easier. They never did go anywhere just years of living in the harbor and working to pay bills and eat like everyone else.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DonVoigt

In response to your statement that statistically men who do this, the ex got the house and it's a great way to pick up a new woman in a bikini no less

Wow really a bikini? Guess only a good woman, and an attractive woman wear bikinis!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

You've given me a lot to start with but feel free to add anymore after thoughts. At least now I know where to begin.
Thanks

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

you don't need to be snarky with me or any other guy who has been screwed over by the ex. moving on is a very important part of life. I didn't see you get snarky with the guys who posted a video of the girls in bikinis. do you have a problem with me being honest as a man, or are you one of those feminists who can't accept a guy being honest about his perspective, if that's the crappy attitude your going to take don't respond to anything I say, and nowhere in that statement did I say good woman, I said NEW woman, oh! I get it west coast the land of fruits and NUTS.
edit on 24-1-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I'm seeing those fiberglass hulls are pretty expensive compared to the wood. Know of a good starter boat between the 20-25k range? Even if just 30' or less. I know you recommended 36' but what's 6 feet? If it were wood, how often do you need to paint?
edit on 24-1-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

a 30 footer should be fine unless you are taller than 6 feet. every person I knew that had wooden boats regretted it and wished they had bought fiberglass. the best I can tell you is to search things like tradin times and online classifieds being located where you are north of seattle your kind of limited to your shopping zone, being the west coast, I did see a few nice boats in classifieds last time I looked ,but your going to have to find your own you'll know it when you see it, use price range searches in the classifieds. there are some pretty nice boats that you can find in the great lakes area and on the east coast but that's way out of your area for a beginner, I'd say check in the san diego area that's where I seen some descent ones. oh and I can't imagine having that hard of a time finding a 30 footer for $15,000.00 leaving you about $10,000.00 to do upgrades. for example if it don't come with autopilot buy it, or the RO watermakers , solar panels , wind generators , you get the idea.
edit on 24-1-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yup. I see what you mean...
www.thehulltruth.com... tenance.html#b

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I get it west coast the land of fruits and NUTS.

Sour grapes I assume.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
You all know what BOAT stands for don't you?????......

Bring Out Another Thousand!

I know...I had one!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Or "But it's Only Another Thousand" lol

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Your link didn't work

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Here
Link

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

If you have zero knowledge on sailing, I would take time learning nearby til you master it. Maybe there's a captain course or something you can take. You want to be safe, I know someone who got lost. But it does sound like an amazing idea, you may want to head south for the winter. Or not sail at all in the winter. Wish I could join you!!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ladybug121

Oh yeah most definitely I'll be taking sailing lessons, we have many marinas here that offer classes. Will be taking scuba lessons as well.

So it seems, I already have my first crew member

If you could join me however...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

What kind of boat did you have and how much money was sinking into it?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

That's great they have classes. I live in Florida and I'm jealous every time I see people with there big boats! I've been fishing since I was 3. Also with other people's experiences it seems fine to get a used boat, but better to buy a new engine. Sounds like heaven I would bring my guitar and books. Wake up with the sun

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

It won't change your life, it will just change it's location.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ladybug121

You're a guitar player as well, nice. I can see it now, playing on deck at night bathed in the warm glow of a lamp under a trillion stars, rocking in rhythm as the waves gently slap the boat. Pour me another glass.

eta: or using it as a flotation device as you swim back to shore

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join