It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun flight: Smith & Wesson, Ruger quit California over stamping requirement

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

im sure when the time comes the crafty among us(people far more crafty then my self) will come up with something or re-activate a primer plant....hell does any one know if putting strike anywhere matches in the primer hole would work? would u have to coat the fireing pin with something that caused more friction or is my half brained theory well half brained......those with flint locks will still be popping people and if you cant find flint use hempen rope to make a match lock or better yet a wheel lock(creates friction that sets off the powder).... people were shooting other people in the chest long before primers.personally i think making powder will prove more problematic then finding a primer substitute(firing the projectile via electricity as in the same way we launch model rockets might work too) as not all regions have all the requisite materiel's to make powder. and baring that poisoned crossbow bolts/arrows(assuming SHTF mind you) would be a good option but i would not go poisoning any bolts tell society collapses. the blunt of it is if society collapses i think getting shot will be the least of the concerns we face weapon wise as once "rules and regulations" go out the window were gonna be facing improvised weapons/IED/Low level chemical weapons(poisons,like a can of raid rigged to go off and explode and kill via organic phosphate poisoning)and improvised landmines,cholorine gas etc)

en.wikipedia.org... i had assumed they were a bit older then they actually were my self

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...
how to make your own primers......

www.youtube.com...
how to make black powder with out a ball mill

www.youtube.com...
how to make your own potasium nitrate

www.youtube.com...
how to make a pull fuze for ignition

www.thehighroad.org... info from the firing line forums on making primers

www.survivalistboards.com...

wethearmed.com...

www.thefirearmblog.com... how to in theory reload your primers using matches.....id be carefull trying any of these methods and look into local laws before committing any potental crimes but for shtf it may come in handy

more directly on topic their are several law suits pending about this legislation and i do not see it surviving a supreme court ruling,but it is good to see some major gun manufactures basically saying they are leaving due to this law being passed.what we really need to see is all the gun makers form a united front and flat out refuse to sell to the police in the states that act this way and make it so the cops have to jump through all the same hoops as citizens to get their weapons and then we might get some where more meaningful. sadly with theses companies pulling out (with more likely to join them) this will most likely lead to what the politicians of ca want less guns and less access to guns in california so its kind of a good thing for morale reasons but may end up huring those in ca that want to buy more modern guns compared to the models they are now limited to with the CA approved hand gun roster

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

hell does any one know if putting strike anywhere matches in the primer hole would work?

Military field expedient weapons manuals include weapons designed to use the tips of strike anywhere matches in a primer hole for ignition. It is better to disassemble an actual used primer and peen the dimple out of the cup, then load the cup with the very tip portions of strike anywhere matches before reassembling.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

RalagaNarHallas
reply to post by MystikMushroom

more directly on topic their are several law suits pending about this legislation and i do not see it surviving a supreme court ruling,but it is good to see some major gun manufactures basically saying they are leaving due to this law being passed.what we really need to see is all the gun makers form a united front and flat out refuse to sell to the police in the states that act this way and make it so the cops have to jump through all the same hoops as citizens to get their weapons and then we might get some where more meaningful. sadly with theses companies pulling out (with more likely to join them) this will most likely lead to what the politicians of ca want less guns and less access to guns in california so its kind of a good thing for morale reasons but may end up huring those in ca that want to buy more modern guns compared to the models they are now limited to with the CA approved hand gun roster

This is what I feel is closer to the point of this measure, I am sure we all could come up with cheaper to implement solutions than re-engineering the gun, from as simple as a data base with unique bar codes for each batch of ammo prestamped on the gun, to perhaps something like what already exist for tazers that shoot (micro dots fly from the tazer with serial numbers tied to the purchaser)

It really seems to me the point is not safety, but to start making guns prohibitively expensive, as manufacturers who comply with this in CA will end up writing that cost off to the consumer. OR it will cause companies to change their practices, like not selling in CA, which I am sure to those that wrote the bill was a completely intended result.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I own a 1911 and it takes less then a minute to swap out the firing pin.

I also know you could take a sharping stone and remove any micro stamping from the firing pin in a few minutes.

As its one of my survival weapons i have a couple spare barrels and a spare firing pin.

Barrels and firing pins are easy to get at Nevada gun shows.

What i would worry about in people taking out there micro stamped firing pins and selling them at gun shows and replacing them with non micro stamped firing pins.
Many of us replace our firing pins with Titanium firing pins to enhance drop safety and reduce lock time
shopwilsoncombat.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

ANNED
I own a 1911 and it takes less then a minute to swap out the firing pin.

I also know you could take a sharping stone and remove any micro stamping from the firing pin in a few minutes.

As its one of my survival weapons i have a couple spare barrels and a spare firing pin.

Barrels and firing pins are easy to get at Nevada gun shows.

What i would worry about in people taking out there micro stamped firing pins and selling them at gun shows and replacing them with non micro stamped firing pins.
Many of us replace our firing pins with Titanium firing pins to enhance drop safety and reduce lock time
shopwilsoncombat.com...

Quite correct sir. And, I'll bet those micro-stamped firing pins (with someone else's ID) would be selling at a premium price on the black market. Just the thing to frame someone else for a crime....right?

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

hell does any one know if putting strike anywhere matches in the primer hole would work?

Military field expedient weapons manuals include weapons designed to use the tips of strike anywhere matches in a primer hole for ignition. It is better to disassemble an actual used primer and peen the dimple out of the cup, then load the cup with the very tip portions of strike anywhere matches before reassembling.

Just make a stamping press for making primer cups out of tin cans or thin stainless steel sheets.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join