It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 3 dead, 20 injured in massive I-94 pile-up in LaPorte County

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Indiana State Police now say 3 people are confirmed dead and more than 20 hurt following a massive pile-up on I-94 near Michigan City in LaPorte County.

The accident happened in the eastbound lanes around mile marker 37.

At last report, State Police say only one injured person remained in a vehicle.

Police say their preliminary investigation indicates approximately 15 tractor-trailers and approximately 15 passenger vehicles and pickup trucks were involved in this incident. Troopers may not have a total number of vehicle involved until late Thursday or early Friday.

At least 3 dead, 20 injured in massive I-94 pile-up in LaPorte County

Not sure Why the DOT didn't shut this highway down ..or why didn't this highway get cleared off ..

it makes no sense.. but what do I know.. I know nothing about DOT's polices .. but you'd think this would have been adverted due to the nature of the storm ..

espeically when it's been in the negitves for what...a month now ?? !

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Trucking is very dangerous in icy weather.

Truckers don't get paid while they pull over for ice and the companies themselves can be complete assholes in regard to loads if there are delays. There is also no pay differential for driving in that type of weather.

I have a brother who trucks and he is always complaining about the ice. It's very dangerous. Sometimes it's difficult to even take precautions and the wrecks aren't always the truckers faults(especially in that weather).

There are many idiotic drivers out there that dart in and out of traffic even in icy conditions which doesn't leave the truckers much room in avoiding a wreck. Then throw in trucks where there's no load on the back and it can spell disaster.

There are many highways that stay open even when there is ice on the road. It takes a LOT for the patrols to step in and shut things down.
edit on 23-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Sad day to be a hoosier... Condolences to the families

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It was a whiteout for several hours today

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
reply to post by Komodo

Sad day to be a hoosier... Condolences to the families

agreed...

which is the main reason I'm a little mad over this .. to me..it's totally unnecessary

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Yesterday a plow truck clipped a semi and jackknifed the semi into the oncoming lane and it hit a pickup truck killing the twenty year old driver. No alcohol or drugs involved just a slippery road and very bad timing. The plow truck slid through a stop sign just a few feet. Sometimes inches can make the difference between life and death.
edit on 23-1-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Spelling

top topics

join