It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's Web Junkies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Here is a short documentary about a Chinese boot-camp-style treatment center for young men "addicted" to the internet.

China's Web Junkies

In 2008, China classified internet addiction as a clinical disorder. This video documents a three to four month boot camp Chinese parents send their children to "cure" the disorder.

From the documentary, it seems like the issue may be more video game addiction than general internet addiction. Is this necessary and/or the best way to address introverted teenagers?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ExNihiloRed

It's the same in Japan, but I think it's been going on for a little longer there. Suicide is very commonplace amongst those "addicted" to the internet. (And like you, I believe it's more about gaming than the actual internet.)

Thanks for the link, never knew it was going on in China too. I guess people are just trying to escape reality and end up burying their heads in a fantasy world. (I've been there, done that.)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Auricom
reply to post by ExNihiloRed

It's the same in Japan, but I think it's been going on for a little longer there. Suicide is very commonplace amongst those "addicted" to the internet. (And like you, I believe it's more about gaming than the actual internet.)

Thanks for the link, never knew it was going on in China too. I guess people are just trying to escape reality and end up burying their heads in a fantasy world. (I've been there, done that.)

You're in a fantasy world while visiting ATS.

LOL

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

I can agree. When I was younger, I would get so enthralled in certain games that it would sort of take over my life. I believe that I have an addictive personality generally (used to smoke cigarettes and have been easily attracted to other vices). Is it the thing (i.e., the internet or the video game) or the personality trait of the person (i.e., addictive personality, etc.) that is the problem? Is there a need for a solution, and if so, what? I mean, there are clinics for drug addiction so is it wrong to have comparable rehabilitation centers for internet addiction?
edit on 22-1-2014 by ExNihiloRed because: Typo

top topics

join