It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My country and its people are labelled as racists, and i have had enough!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Well much like Canada, Australia has been complicit in the genocide of Native folk for the last...400 years, give or take a century..

So I can see why it happens, but I don't quite understand it anymore. Mind you our problems in Canada are far different than yours in Australia, but suffice to say that a whole culture has died in the name of creating out nations and that's just not cool.

But to blanket a whole nation as racist, for events that occurred hundreds of years ago, regardless of the outcome or circumstances is just silly.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

daaskapital

nugget1

intrepid
Canadian says, "WTH are you going on about?" This is the first I've heard of this.

Agreed, from America. Never heard the rumors.

Paranoid much?

That's not very nice. I'm not paranoid, lol.

Yes, I'm sorry.
I just can't figure out where you're coming from.

You seem to be the only one who thinks the world looks at you in this light. Is it your own country that is labeling you as such? We're not.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

luciddream

It true people view differently because the only way we know is thru Media, but media is god at exaggerating things.

They make it so we assume, there is also a car burning in middle of Iraq, women getting constantly raped in India, Iran is ready almost ready with a bomb etc etc... one thing get exaggerated and they get stereotyped.

Tho i never heard of Australians that way, but those internet news did turn eyes.

I agree completely.

I think the world needs a proper media platform, separated from politics and all that other stuff. Something which just focuses on the truth.

No doubt that some of the incidents in Australia are shocking, it just isn't as bad as a lot of people try to make it out to be. And when people use it all as an excuse to say that most Australians are racist, well you know, it gets somewhat annoying.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Aussies racist, nah, be calling the Brit's 'whinging Pom's' next!

Never thought of 'Strains as racist, proud maybe, especially when they won The Americas Cup and every time they take The Ashes back at cricket but never racist.

A multi-cultural society these days maybe due as in UK to slack Immigration controls, but your society as in UK and later USA was built on Immigration and integration, all 3 countries are huge racial melting pots.

Friends of ours emigrated a couple of years back and would not come back here if you paid them to, their kids have integrated and simply love it.

Don't see it somehow, where has this come from, fly your flag, be proud, in the States we fly the Welsh Dragon with the Stars and Stripes.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Well much like Canada, Australia has been complicit in the genocide of Native folk for the last...400 years, give or take a century..

So I can see why it happens, but I don't quite understand it anymore. Mind you our problems in Canada are far different than yours in Australia, but suffice to say that a whole culture has died in the name of creating out nations and that's just not cool.

But to blanket a whole nation as racist, for events that occurred hundreds of years ago, regardless of the outcome or circumstances is just silly.

~Tenth

I agree.

Most people in modern society generally view all as equal, so i do not think the hate on modern citizens is particularly warranted. I can understand some of the disdain held by the indigenous population though.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

You sound raciest, lol just kidding. I have to agree with the other posters, I never heard that Australians were raciest. I always thought Ausies had a good reputation around the world. I think you're being too hard on yourself "mate".

edit on 22-1-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Same in America.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

And here I thought that the Canadians were forgiving people. Seems they carry a grudge as well. *Wink*

The Forgotten War of 1812.

As a amatuer historian, this show opened my eyes to this period in Canadian/American/Native American/British history. I truly had forgotten.

And y'all handed the Americans their asses as well in the process.

But I think I can see the OP's point. What's in the past is in the past. We have to move on and learn our lessons from the past so that we don't repeat them.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

You really should stop watch "Today Tonight" or "A Current Affair"

That Shiz will rot your brain.

Pick a story out of the hat.............Today's story "Are Australians racists"

NO

I'm Australian.

And given that 97% of the population are imports..............it's ironic.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I can understand some of the disdain held by the indigenous population though.

You have never been "up North" have you?

I lived in Kununurra for 6 years.

Go up there for a week and see how welcome you are.

They hate you.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Join the club!

If you vote a certain way in America. . .
If you belong to a Tea Party organization. . . .
If you criticize certain politicians. . . .
If you celebrate Thanksgiving. . .
if you celebrate Columbus Day. . . .

It appears as though thin-skinned weenies are a global issue and not just centered in America!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

CaptainBeno

You really should stop watch "Today Tonight" or "A Current Affair"

That Shiz will rot your brain.

Pick a story out of the hat.............Today's story "Are Australians racists"

NO

I'm Australian.

And given that 97% of the population are imports..............it's ironic.

You really think i watch that crap? LOL. No, i do not watch such drivel at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Canadians are sneaky.

They lure you with good beer, clean towns, polite people. . .

then BAM!

They make you wear funny hats!

(true story!)

link   

intrepid
Canadian says, "WTH are you going on about?" This is the first I've heard of this.

Hey buddy, I think you mean "WTH are you going on ABOOT?"

link   

beezzer

Join the club!

If you vote a certain way in America. . .
If you belong to a Tea Party organization. . . .
If you criticize certain politicians. . . .
If you celebrate Thanksgiving. . .
if you celebrate Columbus Day. . . .

It appears as though thin-skinned weenies are a global issue and not just centered in America!

Ah, it gets so annoying, lol.

I just don't understand what all the hate is about. Like, can't we all just be friends, lol?

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Paranoid much?

Oh yes...very REAL down here.
Please dont reinforce the Yank stereotype of yanks/canadians ignorance to other world events. We have to be sorry for Brits colonialist tactics

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Im Canadian aswell and have never heared that stereotype before. If you are proud of your country you should show it. F the haters!

A couple years ago I was renting an apartment and I was told that I was not alowed to fly a Canadian flag on my balcony. Well needless to say I fought back and Hung it anyways. Don't let ANYONE take your pride away!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

hahahahahahahahahahaha well if you dont want your ears to freeze you will wear a toque when you visit

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I know what you are talking about daaskapital, but stereotyping is only useful for satire. The reality is that all nations have their racists, and their fans of international companionship, and every other part of the spectrum between, and to judge any nation based on the actions of either its government, its main faith, or some percieved majority opinion, is unwise and unfair.

A person has a right to be proud of their heritage, and what is more, celebrate it, without people assuming that they are ignorant of, and not regretful of moments of their history that they might NOT be so proud of. All lands have had their darknesses, and all their moments of shimmering wonder and light. None are perfect.

I am sorry that this issue affects you so much, that the problem has grown so vast as to become so vexing. You know who you are, and it seems that will have to be your sheild against such ill informed comment as you have come across.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Good post.

I find the issues around slavery vexing...

The UK and the US have been vilified for their part in the slave trade, and quite rightly so. But what of the people at the other end of the trade, those that collected and delivered the slaves to the white man? I have yet to hear a clarion cry for the countries involved in making profit from enslaving humankind in Africa to be made to apologise!

A visit to a historical project in Hilton Head Island relating to Mitchellvile and the first freed slaves plus the history in the area of the Gullahs and Geechees was an eye opener. The Gullahs and their descendants that I have met are proud people and despite the treatment of their ancestors are still proud Americans, proud of their Flag and proud of their heritage. Look it up Dawn of Freedom, it was last August. I visited with my wife and it was informative and moving, then went to visit the actual site itself. A Secession Oak forms the centre of a small area with some seats shaded by the tree and Spanish Moss and a series of information plaques. Follow the walk through the woods and along an adjacent beach and experience one of the best meanders on Hilton Head. Walk out to the covered observation area on the marsh and keep an eye out for the thousands of tiny crabs that scurry around on the mud as you pass by, brilliant.

So Aussies, be proud, fly your Flag with pride and don't tolerate intolerance! If the Gullahs can be proud of the Stars and Stripes after what they went through, then so can all you true Colonials out there. It is an unfortunate fact of life that so many Aboriginal peoples end up the way that they are, I have an ex.drug squad detective friend who emigrated to NZ and works with local drug dependant people on North Island, similar problems!

What's that Skippy? Oh yes. Remember XXXX beer is called thus, because Queenslanders couldn't spell beer!!!

edit on 22-1-2014 by Shuftystick because: Clarity

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join