It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law Enforcement Academy Prep Questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hello friends!

I really hope this is the right place, so I'll give it a shot here...

I'm looking to begin preparing for the police academy here in South Carolina. I'm not currently ready for it physically, but my goal is to be there within the next year and a half. While I'm working on the physical portion, I was hoping someone here might could provide some recommendations for reading materials, and other tips that will help give me an advantage in my preperation for this endeavor. The academy website doesn't really list much in the way of reading suggestions.

I have a four year degree in Criminal Justice, but I always like to expand my knowledge. As such, anything relevant that I can begin learning now that would help me in the future would be great.

Any personal stories would be nice too. I'm pretty much looking for anything the collective experience of ATS can offer to help!

I'll be around the thread, but it's busy these days where I work. So, thanks in advance, I appreciate all of you!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The US Constitution would be a good start.

Then read law books. That should confuse you.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

No worries there, the constitution is with me most every day. I support and respect it. Oddly enough, I've read our state law code multiple times, I didn't find it confusing. But then you take a law book, and you are right, that's a different story.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Learn verbal commands and use of force in this order.

1. Attack subject
2. If subject complies, or asks "what did I do?", you scream stop resisting and further your attack.
3. Then, and ONLY then, do you conduct an investigation as to why you stopped the guy in the first place.

Follow those rules and you will be promoted very quickly and awarded commendation medals.
Firepiston

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have to bow out of this one, I don't want to get myself going, but good luck.

It's just that about 4 out of 5 times I hear someone say they're going to be a cop, they're someone that has no business being a cop.

Case in point. You respect the Constitution, but are you willing to uphold it and defend it against ALL enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC?
edit on 22-1-2014 by Mon1k3r because: more stuff

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

FirePiston

1. Attack subject
2. If subject complies, or asks "what did I do?", you scream stop resisting and further your attack.
3. Then, and ONLY then, do you conduct an investigation as to why you stopped the guy in the first place.

Follow those rules and you will be promoted very quickly and awarded commendation medals.
Firepiston

True story swear to God!!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

FirePiston

1. Attack subject

Firepiston

Don't forget rule #4:

Is a canine present? If so, draw your firearm and shoot the animal immediately. Ask questions later.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
1. Are you ok with shooting first and asking questions later?

2. Would you enter a private residence illegally and terrorize a family anD kill their poodle?

3. How many more times would you hit a suspect after they are unconscious?

4. Do you care if a person is unarmed, elderly or perhaps deaf/dumb/blind and unable to Defend themselves?

5. Would you lie and perjure yourself in court to protect a fellow officer/thug who is quite clearly guilty of assault, rape or murder against those you are sworn to protect?

Be careful because these are trick questions.

Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It's interesting that a sincere individual is politely looking for advice and all he gets are asshole replies.

I recommend reading your state statutes followed by municipal laws in the area where you want to work.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You seem like a nice guy.

Just ask yourself over what would you be willing and able to shoot and kill another human being. Then try to think past that and consider whether you would want to live with it.

Or, just don't be a cop or a soldier.

There's all kinds of ways to trade your time for other people's money.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Mon1k3r because: must be left blank

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
There is no way in heck he will follow the constitution. For instance. The right to travel freely. If the driver has no license or insurance, will he let them go? Of course not. If the driver has a concealed firearm, (The right to bear arms shall not be infringed) but has not paid their bribe money to get the plastic card allowing him to, will he let them go? Of course not. The list goes on and on. I am guessing 90% of the laws they enforce are unconstitutional, so if he follows the constitution he will be out of a job very quickly.
Firepiston
edit on 22-1-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Restricted
It's interesting that a sincere individual is politely looking for advice and all he gets are asshole replies.

If you'll notice, the threads about cops being inappropriately violent and unprofessional get a lot of hits. If you're going to get asshole replies for saying that you're trying to be a cop, this is probably the place where it's going to happen.

Maybe people don't like cops, maybe they don't. But I like the OP just fine not a cop.

Mapkar, you're just the right size to not be a cop. Do you think that's a coincidence?
edit on 22-1-2014 by Mon1k3r because: don't laugh

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Doesn't say much for the demographic here. And people wonder why the police feel they are in a hostile environment 100% of the time.

This thread isn't about inappropriate police behavior.
edit on 1/22/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Restricted

I recommend reading your state statutes followed by municipal laws in the area where you want to work.

Members who have been here for 3 years know full well what kind of responses they will get to this type of thread.

Both positive and negative.

Unless of course they haven't seen the THOUSANDS of reports, videos, news articles etc that have been posted on police violence, corruption, murder, extortion...shall I go on?

We're all adults here and many of us are informed enough to post our opinions.

And that my friend, is ATS.

Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

I dislike cops as much as anyone but I would not take violent action against them unless I felt mortally threatened.

My contention is that if cops are so afraid if civies that they always have an itchy trigger finger, maybe they are in the wrong line of work.

That's like joining the military and then complaining about all the fighting.

Kallisti
edit on Cam11Wednesday4820141431Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:48:14 -06002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: stupid phone

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Restricted
Doesn't say much for the demographic here. And people wonder why the police feel they are in a hostile environment 100% of the time.

edit on 1/22/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

Police are creating their own hostile environment.

Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

edit on Cam11Wednesday4720141631Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:47:16 -06002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: double post/ stupid phone

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Restricted

They feel like they're in a hostile environment all the time because they have very little real-time intelligence as they do their job. They don't know if they're pulling over a car that just got stolen, or what kind of drugs the driver is on. At least in the suck, we knew generally type and size of force, offensive capabilities, etc.

Beat cops don't have that luxury. Add that to the fact that a lot of them literally work in what could be considered war zones right here in this country, and you have a recipe for some pretty jumpy mofrackeys.

Eventually, the only people you can hire to deal with those places are mercs who get off on combat. Hear me now and listen to me later.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Mon1k3r because: lost time

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
As I said, the demographic is pathetic. Probably a bunch of felons anyway.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I see this question pop up on Real Police all the time.

Seems a very legit site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join