It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London MET Police call for water cannons ahead of riots

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I understand what you're saying. I think it depends on the situation, what is being protested, how certain agencies react.

Every scenario is different. Of course law enforcement overreacts in some cases. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Shiloh7
During one of the G whatevers all the windows had been borded up along the route on the banks except 1 and naturally someone made a 'B' line for it and smashed it. Then the police immediately had the 'right' to move in which they did. But Why was it missed and one has to ask and Who exactly smashed it. I believe MI5 and plain clothed police infiltrate these protests and any means of stopping protest will be adopted and ordered by our Government. If one can destroy the peaceful protests and make them look like a warground then others of the public will stay away

It was the London G20 protests - Charlie Brooker did a great report on it for BBC's Newswipe - not only was it the only building left unprotected, it was the only one with press photographers stationed inside ready to take photos of the dozen or so people breaking windows instead of the 10,000s having a peaceful protest. I'll upload the video when I find it.

My friend is a doctor at one of the local hospitals and while official figures said dozens of police were injured by protesters and required hospital treatment he told me it was complete nonsense and that police were turning up with paper cuts. The worst injury sustained that day was a police dog handler with a bruised arm after his dog bit him.

There's plenty of videos of police provocateurs in the current anti-fracking protests. As police move in to arrest people keep an eye out for the alleged protesters who are quickly pulled behind police lines without being cuffed etc..and are not put in police cars.

The most recent example is when police tried to label them terrorists for firing army flares at the police helicopter despite all legal advisors, witness, journalists etc saying no flares were ever fired.

www.independent.co.uk... h-through-camp-9041763.html

Want to be in peaceful protest demanding you be kept safe from earthquakes and arsenic leaking into your drinking water? Better expected to be hit by high pressure water cannons and baton rounds.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

taoistguy
auterity is far from over, it will get much worse. an the economy is not improving.

Britain is more a collection of different economies, all of which basically fight to exist in the same cities. You've got international banking, the tourist/hotel/tour guide industry, international students/universities/buy-to-let market, manufacturing/car industry, film industry, software/IP/IT industry (banks + public sector). Then there's the retail and service industry which depends on business from staff on all of these industries.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Major but obvious to anyone who was there news story in the guardian today.

'Did an undercover cop help organise a major riot?
The wrongly convicted activist John Jordan claims the Met helped plan serious civil disorder. An independent public inquiry is now vital
The revelations so far have led to 56 people having their cases or convictions overturned, after police and prosecutors failed to disclose that officers had helped to plan and execute the protests for which people were being prosecuted. But we know the names of only 11 spies, out of 100-150, working for 46 years. Thousands of people might have been falsely prosecuted.'

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Geeeeeeee, can't say it surprised me any lol. They are caught over and over pulling crap like that. It's sickening to say the least. And it goes on all over the western world.
edit on Mon, 03 Feb 2014 17:27:16 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bastion

Its no surprise to anyone who has been around since the early '80's.

Its a known fact that Thatcher instructed various Police forces to use serving officers as agent provocateurs to stir up trouble and incite riots on the picket lines during The Miners Strike of 1984 - 1985.

There have been numerous rumours of similar practices being employed during various outbreaks of civil disobedience since.
It seems these rumours may indeed be true.

Its also rumoured that when the riots of 2011 started several police forces sat back and allowed the riots to spread. The reason being they wanted to show their political masters that they didn't agree with the extent of the anticipated cuts that were planned as part of the ongoing 'austerity' measures.
These 'austerity cuts' have impacted policing expenditure but nowhere near to the extent as originally thought or as much as other public services.
Its somewhat ironic that these cuts are being used as justification for the proposed use of water cannons as reported in the OP.
edit on 3/2/14 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The government are planning to cut all unemployment benefits for people under the age of 25 this will result in large scale protests these protests are likely to turn into rioting and I suspect their focus will be ultimately on Westminster.

The London metropolitan police want to buy (3) water cannon for use this summer the reason they want only (3) water cannon is that the palace of Westminster is protected by the river Thames on (1) side and the remaining (3) sides of the complex will be protected by the (3) new water cannon.

The last thing the government want is rioters throwing bricks through the windows of the palace of Westminster or protest banners hanging from Big Ben video & pictures of that kind of thing is what the water cannon are meant to stop.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join