It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There, Their, They're, Your, You're & Writing it like you stole it

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm in the communications/marketing field and a good part of my day is spent writing and also editing my team's work -- and I type 90-plus words per minute. When I'm on ATS or in my own personal email, etc., I could care less about typos and misspellings and the misuse of words.

If I notice an error after posting, I sometimes go back in to fix it. But I certainly don't obsess about it.

I believe in communication and dialogue. If you are able to be understood, to convey thoughts, emotions, feelings, beliefs, information -- and others understand you -- then mission accomplished.

Don't get me wrong -- I love reading books, writing essays and fiction, and am a stickler at work when it comes to typos. But I have never felt compelled to follow the rules of grammar to the point of worrying about it. Reminds me too much of the mindless rigors of elementary school
I write for the ear, even at work -- and that may mean fragmented sentences and so forth. (Heck, even fragmented paragraphs like this one!)

On a forum such as ATS, the only time I get tripped up on a post is if there are large blocks of copy. And, of course, there are the posts that just make no sense.

Life is short. I don't sweat the small stuff. Typos fall in that category for me.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

SleepyOwl
reply to post by new_here

According to my professor in History of the English Language, ONE of the reasons for the differences in European and American English spelling is a matter of nationalism. People came to a new country to be away from another. Therefore, they made changes to things so they could make them their own. Spelling was one of the ways they did it.

Interesting. That never would have crossed my mind as a reason. So if I start putting the "u" back in b/c I think it looks cool, reckon I'll be targeted as a threat to national sovereignty?

<< 1  2   >>

join