It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Prepared - Bugged Out - but now you have toothache!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Haven't seen this topic discussed here much. Anyone who has suffered extreme tooth pain knows they don't want to go back to the dark ages of dentistry (i.e. piss on your tooth and pull it out). With the cost of dental work now, why wait till you have bugged out to use these techniques? Most of this stuff is more for bunkering down than bugging out though.

I did a google search for "diy dentistry" and here are a few links.

This is the best site I came across, but haven't looked to hard. Read the comments too as they are quite helpful.
www.instructables.com...

This one is good for bugging out situations:
www.instructables.com...
It has this warning "Clove oil should only be used for temporary relief as prolonged use can deaden the nerve." This might be desirable in a long term situation.

This one has good tips too:
www.dentalfearcentral.org...

There are a couple of youtube videos but I haven't watched them yet.

Here is a warning though:
www.express.co.uk...

THOUSANDS of Britons are carrying out DIY dentistry, pulling their own teeth with pliers and using household glue to stick down fillings.
Dental surgeon Julian Perry warned: “DIY dentistry can be extremely harmful. It is vital patients get regular check-ups. Dentists can identify mouth cancer and problems linked to conditions such as heart disease.”

Any other (informed) tips?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Your Google search will get a lot more helpful by using Native Remedies Indian Tribes.
Here is one:
Native Cherokee Toothache Remedy

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Now find me some DIY teeth implants and I will really be prepared to go into the wild.

Not sustainable but my brother and I have vicodin and other pain killers collected in our bug-out supplies. We dedicate unused prescriptions to it.
edit on 21-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Swollen and infected use colloidal silver, cured my husbands that way.

Keep a pair of pliers in case!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
When I see most of those people on the "doomsday preppers" show, they often run into major issues on their first or second day.

Some have would up in hospital with major medical concerns.

These people think they're going to survive for years after society has collapsed and there is zero support system, and mostly can't even survive for a weekend without reverting to modern day technology and services.

If you're looking at survival, I suggest you practice it a LOT. Even people who have been trained in this (special forces etc) have a great amount of difficulty putting it into practice.

Now, imagine your worst case scenario, and make it 20 times worse, and assume that someone has stolen all your survival equipment in the first 24 hours. That's what you'll be dealing with.

A bug out bag? You'd be the first person targeted trying to cross town with ANYTHING when it all goes to hell. Most people won't leave when all the signs are there, they wait until it's too late, at which point it's definitely too late to think about leaving.

The trouble is, that when everything DOES go to hell, it might be very subtly, and people won't recognize the impending signs of doom before it's too late to do anything about it.

Unless you're living off the grid NOW, you won't survive.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

The problem is that pain killers only mask infections, they don't treat them.

Cinrad has an excellent point.

Field dentisty is definitely something to consider!

SnF

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

If you need prescriptions now, you probably won't survive very long after the end of the world.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Put a hockey skate in you bug out bag. Worked for Tom Hanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The problem is that pain killers only mask infections, they don't treat them.

Field dentisty is definitely something to consider!

And masking the pain has its application. Tooth extraction in the field? Should be clear enough when taken out of the scope of oral health and instead include pain at large. Certainly plenty of hypothetical instances where a quick and potent relief would be handy in a grab your bags & be on the move scenario. That said, I agree with you treating the problem instead of band aiding it is ideal. I think both approaches are applicable in the SHTF situation just as it is now. I really would suggest learning things like in the OP and garnering pharmaceuticals for the grab n go bags.

reply to post by babybunnies

If you need prescriptions now, you probably won't survive very long after the end of the world.

The survival rate of the 'end of the world' is already rather grim

Still, there are plenty of instances people get prescriptions for temporary ailments. So your point doesn't necessarily translate over to what I suggested.
edit on 21-1-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
My teeth are in a cup in the cupboard, I put them there when they all got pulled after breaking from erupting caused by an allergy to the meds I was on. Funny how the body pops the teeth up when you keep eating something that you shouldn't be eating, then they break when you eat. So maybe I should go see if they are hurting, I haven't talked to them in many years. I haven't had one cavity since I had them pulled.

Good thread for others though. S&F
edit on 21-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
the only thing about "survivalist" i don't understand is, why don't you have a plan to kidnap and keep medical personnel with you? it's about the end of "everything" right? and it's about being all para-mlitary and bad-a55 right ? so why don't you ID some medical folks, a doc, a surgeon, a nurse and COMPEL them to come with you since as "survivalist" you see yourself as above any MORAL question. your survival trumps ALL other considerations, ergo, kidnapping medical personnel would not be criminal in your minds since EVERYONE else is the enemy and only your survival matter. living next to a survivalist is like living next to the taliban. no thanks. when the end comes, i'd rather just live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse. just surviving sounds pretty boring and pretty traumatic if you brining little kids with you. unless of course you already have a final soluton for them in your survivalist plan in the first place ?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
there is a herb called a toothache plant. it is an painkiller though it has some side effects. it burns at first. but it can be used for other things than just a toothache. it can be used as a topical on wounds and such. it is slightly narcotic too. i doubt it is on the schedule of narcotics though.

someone brave enough to try it at www.youtube.com...

you can buy seeds here: www.rareseeds.com...

i grew one plant and it produced tons of flowers and seeds. so you only have to buy this one once and you will have it forever

they do get off to a weak start but once they get going you can't kill them by neglect or failing to water every once in a while. very forgiving.

i had read you can use it for wounds and the like but cannot find proper cite now. they are a good antifungal and antiseptic and antibiotic. they can be used to keep cuts from getting infected and so forth.

also you guys probably know you can get emergency dental kits for temporary fixes for cracked teeth, lost or loose fillings and cavities that have become painful. those kits are cheap. you could easily buy 4 or so. the temporary filling material will probably keep you going for at least a few weeks or even longer.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
oh yeah. proper brushing, flossing, and using tooth enamel restorative rinses regularly along with keeping up with routine dental exams and care before da SHTF makes it unlikely you will need to perform emergency dental surgery on yourself or your family members. being up to date with your dentist should carry you at least one year probably two or three. in the military they declared you dental category 4 if you missed your annual check up; meaning you were undeployable to a field environment. which mean an Butt chewing from your first sergeant and a hastily made dental appointment. there was a reason for that. if you were up on your annual you were probably good for at least a year away from a dentist.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Any decent bug out bag should have a stock of Amoxil and Metronidazole .

Get a good GP onside and start collecting it.Or order online. A good 10 day course can last a month ( at one a day ) which should keep infections at bay.

Gargling and mouth rinsing after every meal with a little bit of apple cider vinegar and water will also kill off most infections.

A tooth infection can kill you. And it will be very painful.

Note: Most really good pain killers will give you constipation. So something like a Vit C Powder flush will be needed ( or anything that gives you the runs ) Not doing this can stuff your back and stop you from being able to run ( no kidding )

So unless you want to be run down by a zombie, while you have a giant toothache, blood poisoning and constipation and accompanying back spasms. Be prepared.

Which leads to a good question..... Do zombies get tooth problems. And if they do, do they feel them ? I mean they all seem to have gingivitis, right ?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
If the signs ever present themselves, that society as we know it will crumble, my silly plan is to visit a dentist, post haste, have him remove all of my teeth and give me some false chompers - the old removable type
I'll pay with credit card (or take out a loan) and not worry about payments

Sure, it'll be crappy, but a boer maak 'n plan - tools can replace teeth better than teeth can replace tools.
Agree? Welcome to the Tribe of Gums! Where the chew don't matter and the food is diced up

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jimjolnir

At least most canned food is sloppy

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Always make sure you have a spare pair of ice skating boots handy... Remember Tom Hanks?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
WIld oregano oil. Have it on hand, it takes the pain, it kills the infection. I had a bad tooth for two years I kept at bay with this stuff. Gets rid of abcess and all. I have a dental anethesia allergy so trial and error found what really works.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Gets rid of abscess??

Well now you have peaked my interest...

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
there are various common garden weeds which not only stop the pain but will kill an abscess...i dont have time now i will find out what thay are and repost later

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join