It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sky Whale' Amazing Passenger Jet of the Future..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

Wonder if they will incorporate an electrostatic field around the body so as to cancel out some of its mass. Allegedly this works for the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit and her like.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

andy06shake

Wonder if they will incorporate an electrostatic field around the body so as to cancel out some of its mass. Allegedly this works for the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit and her like.

The electrostatic stuff is for boundary layer control, i.e. plasma physics and fluid mechanics.

link.springer.com...-1

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I agree, I was going to comment that the vertical take off claim is utterly insane. The biggest engines today deliver 100,000lbs thrust or thereabouts. Four of them power the Airbus A380 which, taking off with 550 passengers and all their luggage, weighs 1,200,000lbs. That 1.2 MILLION pounds! That is equivalent to he thrust of 12 Trent engines and of course in order to lift off vertically with sufficient redundancy for safety, even that is nowhere near to being enough. This proposal is supposed to be even bigger. What a silly claim.

Also what benefit does that strange ring like structure that the wings are attached to bring, and what is the weight penalty for having it?

It appears Ill thought out to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

No it doesn't. That is about reducing drag, increasing unrefuelled range, not anti grav.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

I'm retired Air Force, 28 years total, 17 years in a Spec Ops environment. And I'd say I've seen my share of awesome aerial machinery. That, my friend, is one awesome bird!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I know nothing about aircrafts but I have a hard time seeing that plane be able to do vertical takeoffs and landings or anything close to it...especially on smaller airports considering the wing span.

Maybe it's a crazy idea but why are they not using foldable wings anymore, like they have on military planes?

edit on 24-1-2014 by maxij because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2014 by maxij because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by maxij

They do, the 777x has folding wing tips to accommodate current airport configs., it has the largest wing span Boeing has ever put on an aircraft. Adding folding mechanism to lift larger wing sections just adds weight and complexity and isn't really necessary for land locked aircraft.

www.gizmag.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join