It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sky Whale' Amazing Passenger Jet of the Future..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Love the look of this thing, amazingly beautiful design..

Oscar Viñals, a Spanish designer and aviation enthusiast, has released details, and incredible pictures, of what he is calling the "greenest aircraft imaginable." Inside the world's strangest-looking airplane Equipped with self-repairing wings, large windows, a vertical takeoff ability and room for 755 passengers, the "AWWA Sky Whale" joins several other outlandish proposals for future aircraft that have cropped up in the last couple of years.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 21-1-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It does look cool but I am not convinced it is any better than the current Dreamliners are (or will be when the bugs are worked out). as far as a self-repairing wing goes, that implies to me that the design specs actually anticipate having trouble, that can't be a good sign and if they self repair (to whatever level of repair they would/could do) can they do it fast enough that repairs are good before hitting the ground? Maybe this designer should speak to Richard Branson and see if they can work up a prototype... Maybe Branson and team could pull it off and even make it a hybrid near-space type of tourist plane as well.

It's good to see that some humans are still able to dream large.
Thanks!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hmmm...more and more aircraft are being designed with the "saucer" look. You can say these designs have been on the drawing board for awhile, but you have to question if some of these ideas have not been influenced by possible crash retrievals.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

But will it fly?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Reminds me of Colonial one from Battlestar Galactica .... it looks really cool, but will it fly? That will depend on the Design Specs but i don't see why not... human ingenuity is just as limitless as human stupidity

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

That's a cool design, and vertical lift is even neater.

I see the same bottleneck as with conventional aircraft, ...how May human bodies do you really want in one basket so to speak...even the most reliable aircraft have an excepted risk factor that rises with age these are no different. I would hate to see the casualty list after one accident with craft this size...and make no mistake if it's produced and fly's it has an "acceptable" rate of failure is planned ,law suits included...it's part of the fare.

I dig the idea of green aircraft though...almost all jumbos take oh around 40,000 to 60,000 plus in gas each fill up and flight....that's a lot of exhaust. Two to three home heating truck size to fill er up...ouch.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Capable of vertical take off! Hmmm...

Thunderbirds are go!

Exactly what popped into my head whilst looking at the pictures on CNN.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Taht is one sexy looking beast.

I want to see that thing flying out of miami international.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Treespeaker

That's a cool design, and vertical lift is even neater.

I see the same bottleneck as with conventional aircraft, ...how May human bodies do you really want in one basket so to speak...even the most reliable aircraft have an excepted risk factor that rises with age these are no different. I would hate to see the casualty list after one accident with craft this size...and make no mistake if it's produced and fly's it has an "acceptable" rate of failure is planned ,law suits included...it's part of the fare.

I dig the idea of green aircraft though...almost all jumbos take oh around 40,000 to 60,000 plus in gas each fill up and flight....that's a lot of exhaust. Two to three home heating truck size to fill er up...ouch.

Cheers.

Everything else being equal, I think if you increase the passenger count on airplanes and the crash percentage stays the same then the kill count will be unchanged. I'm speaking in terms of total crashes, not on a per flight basis. However, because airplanes are carrying more people they may be able to reduce the ticket price, assuming economies of scale apply.

If the chance of a crash resulting in 50% casualties was 1/1,000,000 on a small airplane and remains the same when you board a larger airplane then the only difference is there'll be more carnage. Your chances of dying are still the same, however. Because smaller airplanes have to execute more flights to deliver the same number of passengers as larger airplanes, the number of casualties in total will factor to be the same.
edit on 21-1-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

That's an interesting way to look at it....I didn't consider that.

So although the casualties seem higher or concentrated the amount versus time may work out the same, I dunno if the public impression will be the same in the end though.

I guess people with a lot of time on their hands have already done the numbers?

Thanks for the alternate perspective.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It's still a jet, it still needs wings and thrust to stay in the air. It's just tinkering with an old hat no matter how marvelous the tinkering.

Anyway, it looks much like a dirty great Moller skycar, this Italianiski is nicking ideas.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
His idea shares a lot of similarities with Boeings blended wing lifting body design, a design that has been around for a long time:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
All i want to know is if they are going to cram as many seats in this thing as they can like they do with current jets. With all that extra room you would think they would be able to justify giving people more than six inches of leg room.

Im 6'6" and no matter what i try i can not get comfortable and have to deal with excruciating knee and hip pain during any flight ive ever been on because of the tiny seats they provide. IMO every seat should be built for the tallest of their passengers, if they lose a couple rows of seats in the process they will make up for it in customer satisfaction.

DC

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That's great if the wings repair themselves, as long as they document those repairs. Cause if I didn't do the work, I'm sure as hell not signing it off! I'll be damned if I'm gonna take the fall for a wing with shoddy workmanship.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Deemo Diablo
That's great if the wings repair themselves, as long as they document those repairs. Cause if I didn't do the work, I'm sure as hell not signing it off! I'll be damned if I'm gonna take the fall for a wing with shoddy workmanship.

I had to laugh at that one, it brings a whole new paradigm into the discussion, and how's the FAA gonna blame the pilot?
edit on 21-1-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

Im 6'6" and no matter what i try i can not get comfortable and have to deal with excruciating knee and hip pain during any flight ive ever been on because of the tiny seats they provide. IMO every seat should be built for the tallest of their passengers,

If you can't find a seat that's comfortable in this thing I'll eat my hat. (wd-40 stained Stihl)

Just message the thread in a few years when you book a ticket

edit on 22-1-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Now make it fly with cheap, renewable energy, and i m game... cool looking machine

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Im sure the designer just watched "The Avengers" and thought he'd paint it white.

Very outlandish design, not sure the vertical take off is really gully necessary but i like the idea of separating the engines from the main fuselage, that will cut down a tremendous amount of "hum" which i have to say is the thing that stops me sleep on planes. So i like that bit a lot

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Thunderbirds are go!

IMHO remarkably similar minus the wingspan of course!
LoL

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

That will take an insane amount of thrust to get it off the ground. Ticket prices will be astronomical.

<<   2 >>

join