It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA scandal: Washington State considers cutting off electricity, water for NSA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
This is just grand=standing by these politicians. In no way at all will they go against fearless leader and follow through with this threat. They are just trying to look good for those people (huge numbers) who are against the NSA. They'll rah rah this for a little while and then American Idol will come on and the people will sit down and shut up and the politicians know this.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

I too wish this was possible, but the lawmakers will back down too many skeletons in their closets that can and will be used to nuter them. If that does not work then it will be planted. Everyone knows that every electronic devive has some form of backdoor. But 2 thumbs up for sounding good.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

mOjOm
This is a dumb idea!!! I'm totally against the NSA spying and their other BS, but getting in a pissing contest and advocating fighting within the system between government agencies is retarded.

We have a rule of law and methods by which to hold people or agencies accountable for misconduct. Actually holding people accountable for what they do wrong and reorganizing those institutions when they get out of line is what civilization is about. You know, actual true Justice. Not schoolyard revenge tactics and fighting amongst different "Teams". We are supposed to be on the same team you A-holes. How f-ing retarded and childish does this make us look, seriously!?!?!?

Actually, it sounds like it would be the state exercising their "rule of law"

The bill, if passed and signed into law, would prohibit state and local agencies from providing any material support to the NSA within their jurisdiction. This includes prohibiting state government-owned utilities from providing water and electricity.

3 whistleblowers had already came before Snowden and I believe one of them faced criminal prosecution and the other two suffered harassment. So the current "rule of law" and "system" was ineffective.

I doubt this will go through but to me it just sounds like the state saying they don't want certain activities done in their jurisdiction. Plenty of towns/cities do the same kind of thing vs the state.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

What will happen as soon as National Security is shut down? Won't Russia, China or even NK seize the opportunity?

We mustn't forget that Snowden is good pal with Russia.

edit on 17-1-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
this really is an amazing idea. consider how much water (for cooling of the servers) and electricity would be needed to run a facility such as BluffDale? (the facility widely considered by many to be the mammoth storage facility for the NSA collected data)

cut that off and they would be hard pressed to continue.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rayuki

I heard a company that sank all its servers into some sort of mineral oil, then connected a pump and a heat exchanger and heated the building with them!!!!!

Now thats smart thinking

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Dynamitrios
reply to post by mOjOm

and THATS what they™ count on... for you to play by the rules, while at the same time they™ bend them or ignore them as they see fit.... why would you give them the "fair" treatment... that s an agency which by now is above any jurisdiction, why would you treat them any other way than bashing them?

Well since we are still talking about the Government here I do believe that playing by the rules or within the laws is required. Or are you suggesting that we allow our state Government to be above the law so they can fight against the Federal Government which is already above the law too??? I don't think ANY entity of our Government either state of federal should be allowed to act above any jurisdiction. The fact that we allow the NSA to just do whatever it wants is what needs to be addressed here. I mean they are our agency!! How does it make sense to make ourselves the enemy of ourselves???

The fact that the NSA is somehow this uncontrollable and rouge monster which is just allowed to act against it's own government, people, allies and whoever across the globe is insane. If the government wanted them to stop then they'd stop it. The fact that nobody does anything means that is and was the plan from the start.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Sorry to burst your bubble but it will never happen in Utah..

Utah is so corrupt it would make you sick....

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

boncho

Actually, it sounds like it would be the state exercising their "rule of law"

The bill, if passed and signed into law, would prohibit state and local agencies from providing any material support to the NSA within their jurisdiction. This includes prohibiting state government-owned utilities from providing water and electricity.

3 whistleblowers had already came before Snowden and I believe one of them faced criminal prosecution and the other two suffered harassment. So the current "rule of law" and "system" was ineffective.

I doubt this will go through but to me it just sounds like the state saying they don't want certain activities done in their jurisdiction. Plenty of towns/cities do the same kind of thing vs the state.

In other words we are going to make it against the law for anyone to help the NSA. Our own agency. That we created and was created to serve us. Do you get how crazy that sounds???

So anyone who helps OUR OWN AGENCY, is now going to be the ones who are in trouble???? You realize that obstructing the NSA from doing their duty is also against the law, right??? So would the NSA then be considered an enemy of the state??? Why not just after the NSA directly???

I get what you're saying but I think you're missing the point. If our government can't control it's own institutions and the only option is for one part of our government to act against another part of itself then there is no government anymore. I mean if we have no control over our own institutions then we may as well just have a civil war and get it over with and stop the BS.

Does it make any sense to have our laws make it Illegal to help the NSA while at the same time make it Illegal NOT to help them too??? Kind of has everyone in a catch 22 then don't ya???

We pay them for god sake!!! Those buildings and computers and everything they have is paid for by us!!!! There shouldn't be any need for such actions by the state government in the first place. Don't you see what a complete scam all of this is??? If the NSA has gone Rouge, shut it down!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I can't help but think that anything people might view as a "win" only happens because it enables something even more sinister to take it's place.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

mOjOm
This is a dumb idea!!! I'm totally against the NSA spying and their other BS, but getting in a pissing contest and advocating fighting within the system between government agencies is retarded.

We have a rule of law and methods by which to hold people or agencies accountable for misconduct. Actually holding people accountable for what they do wrong and reorganizing those institutions when they get out of line is what civilization is about. You know, actual true Justice. Not schoolyard revenge tactics and fighting amongst different "Teams". We are supposed to be on the same team you A-holes. How f-ing retarded and childish does this make us look, seriously!?!?!?

Instead of playing games with the NSA, we need to bring em up on charges. Shut them down until they prove to be able to do their jobs like they are supposed to be doing!! I mean what the hell are people thinking. You really want your elected officials trying to one up one of their own institutions??? Is that how we are supposed to handle these kinds of things now??? Grow the F**k up and act like responsible adults ya bastards!!!

It's no wonder the rest of the world views us as a bunch uneducated, immature, cowboys who should have all our toys taken away, spanked and grounded repeatedly and sent to bed without supper. Because that is exactly how we are acting!! We should not be supporting such lame ass behavior from these people. We should fire and or jail them for acting this way!!

You're idea is dumb. We have gone the route of accountability, checks, and balances, trying to do things through proper channels, but like another thread said, the gov. has each others backs, and this has become a big run around for we the people here. We need a new approach to combat the NSA, and this might be the ticket to it. When all else fails, try fresh tactics! So explain to me how your idea should work, and then explain why it hasn't worked yet, when we've had these safeguards in place for years? 10 bucks says your answer makes no sense!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

We have to take a stand now to make sure we aren't walking around in a bizarre utopia where every single person has a chip in them assuring their complete dominance. Drug dealers, rapists, murderers, terrorists are one thing. But sometimes being guilty is okay, sometimes an overzealous police officer needs a turd lying on his hood when he gets out of the donut store, sometimes a cantankerous old woman needs to have her Sunday newspaper missing in the morning, there's endless examples. Life would be so damned boring without a bit of mischief. And what kind of sex laws do we still have in place? My god, we need to stop this now.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It's all in good show, but would be pretty much ineffective in practice. It's nothing new for federal agencies to carry out certain aspects of business under various puppet companies or simply to piggy-back upon other government agencies. So the next thing that would happen is Washington State would end up with a rather large EPA office building but over half of it would be locked up and "unused" for carrying out the mission of protecting the environment.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sirbritton

Thank you, thank you, thank you, this should have been stopped when it actually started to be obvious that the NSA and other agencies were falling into the hands of the private corporate dictatorship thanks to the doings of our government specially congress, because when money talks they screw everything else.

Now we have presidents that are backing up the privately run NSA behind the scenes to their own personal agenda to get leverage over congress and the supreme court, the IRA scandal should be an example of that.

This days it seems that presidents seems to be bypassing congress in order to further specific agendas.

The NSA has become data mining operation where the private sector benefits more than the public and safety has nothing to do with it, actually money making is behind all of it.

Is nice to see that the Republic is still very much alive in our nation

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's not gonna happen.

The title is misleading, though it's not OP's fault because that's the title of the original article, but all that has happened is some self-important legislators have cooked up this bill and submitted it to the judiciary committee where it will likely never get a hearing. "Washington State" is not doing anything--and won't.

But in the off-chance the bill gets to the floor there will be a wild debate, and it will never pass. The whole idea is absurd. The State does not have the right to cut off the NSA from anything. The bill itself PDF is here for your viewing pleasure and purports to give the State the right to dictate to political subdivisions what THEY can do, a clear over-step in their powers tantamount to what they are accusing the NSA is doing. It's the pot calling the kettle black.

Meanwhile China is laughing their butts off.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Our national security has been sold to the private interest that now have enough information gathering to black mail any politician and supreme court member in the nation.

Very soon it will be run from china or India.

Nothing but corruption has taken over our so call national security this days.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Nothing will change until the people take control. For that to happen there needs to be a leader who will lead the people for a while. All these leaders get their moment of power and then get thrown out again after they have done their job. So, you better have some idea what comes after because if nothing comes after, then there will be even more corruption than there was before the corrupt government got overthrown. You would be just changing one set of corrupt thugs for another set.

Then you will have all the religious folk shouting this is a perfect scenario for the anti-christ to rise up and take control. Yes, it is, BUT, you always have the choice to make sure this is a progressive process towards a better future. It just needs a little planning (like a terrorist cell in fact) and that would involve the agencies getting nervous and sending people in to break it up.

No, I think there needs to be a grass-roots revolution similar to what the Chinese had, and to get rid of all the power players who control and manipulate the country to their own ends. The Chinese went a little over the top perhaps, but needs must when the devil drives and a change is a change. Dont be afraid of change because out of it will come a new world of your making. However, you will have to make conscious planned well-thought-out decisions and not just go-with-the-flow because that will be disastrous.

Yes, USA may not be the top dog any more, but if the cancer needs to be cut out for the body to survive which will it be?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

gunshooter

You're idea is dumb. We have gone the route of accountability, checks, and balances, trying to do things through proper channels, but like another thread said, the gov. has each others backs, and this has become a big run around for we the people here. We need a new approach to combat the NSA, and this might be the ticket to it. When all else fails, try fresh tactics! So explain to me how your idea should work, and then explain why it hasn't worked yet, when we've had these safeguards in place for years? 10 bucks says your answer makes no sense!

I'm not sure what you mean by my idea is dumb since I haven't put forward any new ideas. I've just been trying to point out the fact that this "obstruction" approach isn't going to work the way some think.

First let me make something perfectly clear to those who seem to be so offended by what I've said. I'm not trying to take the wind out of anyone's sails here. I don't doubt that those who support this "obstruction" approach have their hearts in the right place. I'm right there with you. Passionate and optimistic toward fixing our obviously broken and failed system. But while your hearts may be in the right place, I'm not so sure where your heads are!!! Generally speaking, what you're advocating is Civil Insurrection. Now, if that is actually what you want, so be it, but you better make sure you know what the hell you're doing before you leap head long into such activities.

Let me just ask a few questions first, ok smart guy. Since you've got it all figured out already. Let's assume your new law goes through and it's now illegal for State Agencies and/or Persons to provide any material support or aid to Federal Agencies and/or Persons who are deemed enemies by the State for their abuse of our Forth Amendment Rights to Privacy.

That now makes those State Agencies and/or Persons in Violation of Federal Law for Obstruction toward the NSA's ability to operate. However, should they decide NOT to violate Federal Law, they would then be in Violation of this new State Law. Now, most importantly, who is effected by either of those situations??? Who will be the actual person or persons facing charges??? Is it the Government Law makers or NSA Law-Breakers who will be faced with prison time or just a bunch of us People who are caught in this catch 22 of choosing which Law to Break???

What about funding??? What happens when the Federal Government decides it doesn't agree with the State and pulls the funding for every state which enacts this new law??? Do you think some state officials might cave in once faced with the fact that they'll now receive no Federal Funding or Support??? Type in "feds pull funding to states" in your Google Search and read up on some of the past results which have happened.

Ever think that a little Civil Insurrection just may be the ticket they're looking for to justify the already planned and anticipated "Lock-Down" we've all heard so much about over the past decade or more??? Read any alleged leaks or reports that may have suggested TPTB are actually provoking the herd into reacting so they can justify their next big "Order from Chaos" reconstruction???

I admit openly and honestly I don't "Know" who or what may be pulling the strings in all this. I'm not invited to any meetings with the Elite Psycho Imperialists who are running the show and destroying our world. I'm guessing it's because I'm less than nothing in their eyes. Just another sub human troglodite who means nothing to them or their ideal future. This is a feeling which is mutual in how I view them too ironically enough, go figure. So to put an end to this, do what you feel is best. I'm not here to tell you what to do, that choice is yours. All I ask is that you really think it through first because I assure you, "They" will be prepared. "They" will have thought ahead and planned many moves in advance. "They" are, after all, very good at playing "The Game of Thrones".

Can you say the same for yourself or for those who you hope will join your side???

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

DaMod

Sorry to burst your bubble but it will never happen in Utah..

Utah is so corrupt it would make you sick....

Too much wish for then huh? Looked this up and yeah it's #1. on that list. Unfortunate and guess it's due to less regulation on monitoring on such ill action, less population, an easy frontier for shysters, or what have you, making it a free for all for corruption. Then again that's probably why the Data Center is there. Not trying to be off topic but, corruption in states, levels of it might make for a good thread topic, if not already started.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

schuyler
It's not gonna happen.

The title is misleading, though it's not OP's fault because that's the title of the original article, but all that has happened is some self-important legislators have cooked up this bill and submitted it to the judiciary committee where it will likely never get a hearing. "Washington State" is not doing anything--and won't.

But in the off-chance the bill gets to the floor there will be a wild debate, and it will never pass. The whole idea is absurd. The State does not have the right to cut off the NSA from anything. The bill itself PDF is here for your viewing pleasure and purports to give the State the right to dictate to political subdivisions what THEY can do, a clear over-step in their powers tantamount to what they are accusing the NSA is doing. It's the pot calling the kettle black.

Meanwhile China is laughing their butts off.

Thanks for sharing the PDF and to bump it up in case anyone wants to read it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join