It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA scandal: Washington State considers cutting off electricity, water for NSA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

The Washington State campaign to cut off all utilities and services to the National Security Agency (NSA) facilities in that state achieved its first success on Wednesday, according to a national think-tank based in Los Angeles.
continued...
The bill, if passed and signed into law, would prohibit state and local agencies from providing any material support to the NSA within their jurisdiction. This includes prohibiting state government-owned utilities from providing water and electricity.

NSA scandal: Washington State considers cutting off electricity, water for NSA

Following Oklahoma, and Indiana as well as California's lead from earlier this month of senators introducing a bill to limit the effect of the NSA's collection program, Washington State has it's similar plans. This would be to block off or starve the NSA of power and water at it's state facilities . Also, that it would block these without warrant collected information by the NSA spying, violating privacy of even the Washington State Constitution. Interesting how this will turn out and am very happy they are attempting this as it's out of hand.

There's growing sources on the topic. One has the interview of Washington State's Rep. Matt Shea- interview in broadcast at 19:20. Much more explained on the video,
such as there's bi partisan sponsorship. The bill, called Freedom Agenda Washington, is currently in the judiciary committee.
edit on 17-1-2014 by dreamingawake because: Added more.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

That is a brilliant idea lol. Why didn't I think of that? All that fancy equipment would be useless without any power to run them. Talk about cutting them off at the knee.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

TKDRL

That is a brilliant idea lol. Why didn't I think of that? All that fancy equipment would be useless without any power to run them. Talk about cutting them off at the knee.

Yup, it's a great idea, though it's only accessible to the states that have the centers locally. I wonder then if other states are going to try to infringe across state lines? Though as the video explains any of that illegal nonsense as defined by the bill(wonder if it would also count state to state) will have legal action. Channeling Utah: Your next to make a similar bill!: Hope the Utah Center can be 'shut down'.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Also would include internet lines I would assume. Even with electricity, that right there would render them giant useless paperwieghts. States should just all prohibit ISP within their state to service them.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Nah.

They'll just use solar panels and wind propellers.

And satellites for internet.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
WHO is all affected? Only the guilty?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

Care to elaborate?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Oooooh... i m super curious how that turns out... right on, US... first several states legalize pot, now this... you seem to be on the path of betterment... maybe you become a nation to follow again...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

This could be the start of a cold Civil War of the states vs. the nation. Washington State is a powerful ally to have.

Not only are they the location of Microsoft and other high-ranking techies in Seattle, but they have successfully become one of the most progressive states in the nation with their comprehensive legalization and gay marriage laws.

Washington State's legal gurus could stand up to Obama's any day of the week. And they have a liberal libertarian streak, which I love.
edit on 17amFri, 17 Jan 2014 01:09:16 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I should mention that the NSA has undercover agents that work out of their home or other places and still have the tech - this wouldn't be able to do much about that - although Washington State has comprehensive rules, so they might.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Nice! Just think of this. recently the government tested the ability of a b61 nuclear weapon to penetrate deep into the earth as a bunker buster. I suppose it wouldn't be to difficult to deploy one of those into Mt Rainer or whatever the name of the mountain is that's like Mt St Helens, but really close to seattle or something like that! Personally, I'd like to see that. hopefully they use nothing less than a ten megaton weapon! So when you start to see the armed forces assets leaving the state of washington, you might want to pack a bag. just remember, you'll never see or hear that b2 coming. and i'm sure the fed could care less as long as they get as much out of the state before the open up a gate of hell on you. its no great loss, and if we're really lucky, we'll get rid of all those pesky canadians in vancouver at the same time. its win-win for the other lower "57" states. sweet dreams seattle

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This is a dumb idea!!! I'm totally against the NSA spying and their other BS, but getting in a pissing contest and advocating fighting within the system between government agencies is retarded.

We have a rule of law and methods by which to hold people or agencies accountable for misconduct. Actually holding people accountable for what they do wrong and reorganizing those institutions when they get out of line is what civilization is about. You know, actual true Justice. Not schoolyard revenge tactics and fighting amongst different "Teams". We are supposed to be on the same team you A-holes. How f-ing retarded and childish does this make us look, seriously!?!?!?

Instead of playing games with the NSA, we need to bring em up on charges. Shut them down until they prove to be able to do their jobs like they are supposed to be doing!! I mean what the hell are people thinking. You really want your elected officials trying to one up one of their own institutions??? Is that how we are supposed to handle these kinds of things now??? Grow the F**k up and act like responsible adults ya bastards!!!

It's no wonder the rest of the world views us as a bunch uneducated, immature, cowboys who should have all our toys taken away, spanked and grounded repeatedly and sent to bed without supper. Because that is exactly how we are acting!! We should not be supporting such lame ass behavior from these people. We should fire and or jail them for acting this way!!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Meh - we are royally pi**ed off by all that infamous NSA-crap - nevertheless, the USA won't do sh*t against it, as "it defends them from terrorism", yeah right.

Don't be indignated if we other states (=rest of the world - the British poodle) are beginning to dig a digital trench around your country. You are doing what you want, invading our secrets - we will take measures of protection against that.

I really, really hope that every single data-sharing treaty will be canceled. You want to know who sits on the next plane to New York? Well, you better have capable agents on the TSA.... HA!

edit on 17-1-2014 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Here's a one-up: No taxation without representation ... right?

Stop sending reps to D.C. ... and stop paying federal taxes. That oughta dry 'em out pretty quick.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

That is actually pretty funny coming from a German considering just how much aide Germany has given the NSA in their spying operation.

Anyway, this is just political posturing to lead everyone to believe that the Representatives of all these states actually care about the rights of their people.
edit on 17-1-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

mOjOm
This is a dumb idea!!! I'm totally against the NSA spying and their other BS, but getting in a pissing contest and advocating fighting within the system between government agencies is retarded.

We have a rule of law and methods by which to hold people or agencies accountable for misconduct. Actually holding people accountable for what they do wrong and reorganizing those institutions when they get out of line is what civilization is about. You know, actual true Justice. TextNot schoolyard revenge tactics and fighting amongst different "Teams". We are supposed to be on the same team you A-holes. How f-ing retarded and childish does this make us look, seriously!?!?!?

Instead of playing games with the NSA, we need to bring em up on charges. Shut them down until they prove to be able to do their jobs like they are supposed to be doing!! I mean what the hell are people thinking. You really want your elected officials trying to one up one of their own institutions??? Is that how we are supposed to handle these kinds of things now??? Grow the F**k up and act like responsible adults ya bastards!!!

It's no wonder the rest of the world views us as a bunch uneducated, immature, cowboys who should have all our toys taken away, spanked and grounded repeatedly and sent to bed without supper. Because that is exactly how we are acting!! We should not be supporting such lame ass behavior from these people. We should fire and or jail them for acting this way!!

umm- ok

First bold sentence- That would be good in all if people actually WERE held accountable- but these days- they never are. Sometimes Symbolic gestures can do more good than people give credit.

Second Bold Sentence(s)- you seriously contradicted yourself- "dont fight"- yet you are calling people aholes- very nice.

Third Sentence- Grow up? You are the one throwing a temper tantrum on a discussion forum. grow up.

Fourth Bold- Its not how we are acting- its how they are acting- and its how you are acting by talking trash to people who are supporting this issue.

Screw The Fed- They arent doing a damn thing about this corruption because quite frankly- the NSA probably has so much dirt on all of them that they are too afraid to stick their skinny little necks out to do anything about it.

By you comming out and acting the way you are, and talking trash the way you are about the actual people who are being stripped of their privacy is just disgusting.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat. If all else fails- shut off the water, and let them bathe in their own urine.

This wont stop them- but it has a symbolic gesture behind it that will probably reach more influential people then some Joe Dirt guy filing suit.

oh and one more thing- try to think before you type.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Common Good

umm- ok

First bold sentence- That would be good in all if people actually WERE held accountable- but these days- they never are. Sometimes Symbolic gestures can do more good than people give credit.

Right. So maybe we should start holding them accountable instead of letting them do whatever they want. I really doubt a symbolic gesture will bring the NSA to their knees any time soon. Plus, you still have the problem of Our State Government actively obstructing the efforts of the NSA who allegedly have a job to do. How is that a good thing??? If they don't have a job to do, then shut them down. But if they do, I don't think having one arm of the government fighting another arm is very productive.

Second Bold Sentence(s)- you seriously contradicted yourself- "dont fight"- yet you are calling people aholes- very nice.

I'm calling them aholes....The NSA and Senators.

Third Sentence- Grow up? You are the one throwing a temper tantrum on a discussion forum. grow up.

Again, I'm speaking TO THEM for acting like a bunch of children when they should be the ones acting like Grown Up Elected Officials. I wasn't elected or hired into a position of power and authority so I can act as I please. They can't!!

Fourth Bold- Its not how we are acting- its how they are acting- and its how you are acting by talking trash to people who are supporting this issue.

Screw The Fed- They arent doing a damn thing about this corruption because quite frankly- the NSA probably has so much dirt on all of them that they are too afraid to stick their skinny little necks out to do anything about it.

By you comming out and acting the way you are, and talking trash the way you are about the actual people who are being stripped of their privacy is just disgusting.

Theres more than one way to skin a cat. If all else fails- shut off the water, and let them bathe in their own urine.

This wont stop them- but it has a symbolic gesture behind it that will probably reach more influential people then some Joe Dirt guy filing suit.

oh and one more thing- try to think before you type.

I am speaking to them. I just wrote it in a first person kind of way. I'm not talking trash to all of you, but to them. Guess I should have made that more clear.

I say who gives a sh*t about symbolic gestures. Shut em down!!! Don't play games with these people. And certainly don't start encouraging our state Gov. to fight with our Federal Gov. Who do you think is gonna win that??? Who gives who the money??? Who answers to who??? Besides, is that really how low we've gone??? Is our system so screwed up that we have one branch picking a fight with another. Nothing is more destructive than rotting from the inside out. What other country could possibly take us serious when we can't even control ourselves???

All I have to say to you here who are supporting this kind of action is to stop and think about it for a sec. Do you really support this kind of internal petty fighting back and forth??? Is this really how this should be handled or is it just a bunch of Drama and BS to entertain people instead of actually fixing the problem???

Oh and one more thing, try and think before you go applauding any legislation which entails our government to battle itself. The only one's who lose is us!!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

The "cold civil war" is an interesting idea. Yesterday in New Hampshire they were debating on whether to create laws designed to stop illegal/invalid provisions of the NDAA. Most of them caved in on the grounds the National Guard was collecting money to be trained on the NDAA and they are sworn to federal laws therefore must use the NDAA. The response was that the National Guard should become a state militia force, which was in turn rejected by most of the house reps once again because of the money issue.

What really destroys states ability to defend them self is all of the "government-level welfare programs" where the states get federal money for things and if they don't fall in line with the tyranny.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

and THATS what they™ count on... for you to play by the rules, while at the same time they™ bend them or ignore them as they see fit.... why would you give them the "fair" treatment... that s an agency which by now is above any jurisdiction, why would you treat them any other way than bashing them?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The NSA have too many toys for too long to let somthing like this actually happen.

Generators, bottled water they will find a way to survive however it is nice to hear that the public really dont like what they do and want them to stop, simply saying this will happen is a good signal to the NSA they ARE citizens too and they SHOULD NOT be doing what they do, i mean are they really all matrix style mindless robots or what?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join