It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bags, Packs, EDC, Survival, Bug Out Preferences

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have several survival kits. I have a Small EDC, Medium hiking 1 week pack, a Large house Survival kit and my Largest "Bug Out Bag"

Pictures of what I am talking about

EDC

Hiking

1 Week Packs and House Pack

Bug Out

All carefully loaded with what I need to care for myself and my wife in the case of any emergency

My Problem

Most of my packs are compartmentalized and it is starting to be a problem as it limits my space..

I liked the idea of compartmentalization at the beginning as it really helps with the organization, but now I find myself wanting to carry articles that just wont cooperate with the smaller pockets and pouches..

Now my A.L.I.C.E. packs only have the one large center compartment and outside pouches and you would think that would be perfect except that you can bet anytime I was a certain item, it will inevitably be at the bottom of the main pouch..

I would like for anyone that is interested in my problem to post your solutions and/or ideas..

Pictures of your packs would be nice also

Thanks

Semper

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I know what you mean.

I have used carabiners with different sized pouches and bags attached to the pack itself. Laugh if you will.. but I have my 2 larger dogs backpacks of their own that they carry MY gear and since I have a pulling Staffy, Id like to get him a wagon! LOL! Hey, Im 5'4" and maybe 125 lbs now. If I load myself down too far, Ill be like a turtle on my back.

It obviously doesnt work for me.. but the husband is a huge guy. He has an Eberlestock g4 Operator backpack. I liked the f4 terminator pack.. but those Eberlestocks are too darn expensive! Ill load my dogs up like beasts of burden....

If you havent checked out Eberlestock backpacks.. you oughtto!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Not bad thread
but I would have added a bit on what to put in those packs especially for this time of year... Of course the list I use is meant for those of us who live in snow country... in my case the Rocky Mountains of Colorado...

Winter Backcountry Gear Checklist
This list should to be adjust depending on length and duration of your trip; however, you
should be prepared for sudden changes in weather, emergencies and the possibility of
having to spend the night out in extreme conditions.
 Skis or Snowshoes and Poles (probe type recommended)
 Boots (appropriate for type of flotation used)
 Ski wax and/or climbing skins
 Avalanche beacon or cord
 Shovel (aluminum recommended)
 Long underwear top and bottom
 Socks synthetic or wool with extras
 Synthetic or wool pants
 Synthetic top or wool shirt
 Vest
 Weatherproof pants and jacket with hood
 Mittens and or gloves
 Hat (wool or synthetic type balaclava)
 Gaiters
 Goggles and/or sunglasses
 Sunscreen cream and lip balm
 Pack (internal frame recommended)
 Knife or multi purpose tool
 Matches in a waterproof case, candle and fire starter
 Topographic maps of area, Compass and Altimeter
 Thermometer
 Whistle
 Notebook and pencil
 Food (2 days recommended), Stove and extra fuel and cooking/eating utensils
 First aid kit including medications and SAM splint
 Flashlight or headlamp
 Toilet paper and plastic bags to pack it out
 Water bottle with cover to protect from freezing
 Waterproof ground cloth or space blanket
 Plastic bags (for trash and protection from moisture)
 Emergency repair kit:
 Screwdriver, pliers, tape (filament type for strength), tool to drill holes, assorted
screws, spare parts (e.g. cables, ski baskets, ski tips etc), 30 feet of nylon cord, wire.
 Sleeping bag, synthetic and foam pad, closed cell
 Bivy sack

I keep most of this stuff in my truck year round. I had rock slides close roads on me, been trapped at rest stops waiting for the highway department to reopen the roads.
Every year we get stories of someone getting a flat or skidding off the road and then freezing to death... just last year there was a story of someone who locked themselves out of their home and died right on their own front porch.

personal note.
I am not a big fan of military paramilitary gear of any kind. The best and most durable gear I've found is made specially for mountaineers climbers and alpine backcountry hikers like myself

The bag I like best is the Black Diamond Outlaw Avalung Backpack I got mine in white with purple webbing

Edit to add.
While looking over the list I noticed they didn't add "Skins"
if you do any type of cross-country skiing you needs skins to help you climb hills... not absolutely necessary...but it's a hole hell-of-a-lot less work with them
edit on 16-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I know some guys who had their rucks customized by these guys.

www.tacticaltailor.com...

They came out pretty good and were still quite durable.

Maybe you should shop around the web and just buy a new one (that preferably has MOLLE attachments) and stuff the older ones with auto stuff (oil, extra belt, tools, etc)

I had a large BlackHawk ruck for quite awhile but rid of it after my back went south. It was entirely to big. I've downsized everything and still wonder if it's to much.
edit on 16-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

Thats pretty cool! Definitely better for those living in certain parts of the country.

From your link :

Built-in Avalung system significantly extends your fresh air supply in case you're caught in an avalanche and buried beneath the snow Fresh air is pulled from the valve box by your shoulder and through the Avalung mouthpiece, and when you exhale, CO2 is expelled from the exhaust port by your waist Avalung mouthpiece and tubing stow away in the shoulder strap when not in use, but are easy to reach so you can extend the mouthpiece just before you drop in Ski carry options include a diagonal ski carry cable that retracts when not in use and an A-frame carry system Padded, adjustable SwingArm straps are linked on the bottom with a cable so they move in concert with any body movement Padded, adjustable ergoActiv waist-belt uses a ball-joint to attach directly to the frame so it can pivot as you move and angle the weight to your legs Hydration sleeve allows you to use a hydration bladder to stay hydrated, and the insulated design keeps your water from freezing solid Enclosed shovel and probe organizer pocket makes it easy to find your entire avy tool kit quickly, and the enclosed design protects your essentials Other features include a HiLo helmet holder, a fleece-lined goggle pocket for extra goggles, and PickPocket adaptability so you can carry an ice tool in your avy-tool organizer pocket

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Okay after looking over your problem and cross checking with my fav online store.
this is the solution to your prob.
Gregory Denali Pro 105

Volume:
[small] 6100 cu in, [medium] 6450 cu in, [large] 7000 cu in

Support/Suspension:
framesheet, 7075-T6 aluminum stays

Shoulder Straps:
Flo-Form II

Waist-Belt:
yes, adjustable

Access:
top, bottom, front

Pockets:
1 front zip, 2 side mesh

Pro 105 is set up with access from the top sides and bottom so you can get what you need without dumping everything on the ground... No I don't own one of these myself, but looking at the reviews they get very high marks for quality, their a bit pricy though.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

agree with above posts about what is in it being more important or at least as important....

We all know things like: food, fire, knives, etc but what about food procurement....hunting fishing etc..?

I found this and thought it interesting....they seem to build fishing poles for bug out situations:

emmrod.com...

tried to get a pic to post but couldn't get it to work.....sorry

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

If you havent checked out Eberlestock backpacks.. you oughtto!

I have not, but I will

Thank you

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Well as there are tons of threads about "Pack Contents"; I made this one about the packs themselves...

As for military gear.. I disagree almost completely.. I have hiked and climbed almost all over the world, at least in every continent except Antarctica, and for the money, nothing has every satisfied me except military gear.. (Probably the old Marine in me) I tried some of the really high dollar packs in some excursions in South America and Canada and was terribly disappointed.. When I was in Asia it was all Military and I was more than satisfied with the durability and comfort.. In Europe I have used both and again, always happier with the military gear..

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
One thing i always get complimented on in my pack, even when i bought em,' was might light weight reinforced lock cutters. relatively sized, extremely strong. always a good thing to have.

My bug out is in the trunk of my car at all times. Technically its two packs, both easy to carry. food for 1 month, multiple ways to make fire, both accelerants and matches, lighters and flint. razor saw wire, a mass stockpile of batteries (working on getting a solar charger) jacket, sleeping bag, tarp, 200ft of parachute cord, grill, pot, coffee filters (also a good choice), knife, compass, shovel, machette, back up weapon, tactical axe, firearm, led flashlights..........mmmm......extra clothing, full medkit with surgical tools....oxy mask, rubber gloves...

Probably missing something.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ill try and find the link to the bag i got...its not a back pack, military issue, pretty legit. more of a duffel. BUT the medkit i use is in a military issue pack, small, much like the one you posted above.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

There are a multitude of great packs out there, and after looking again at them after a bit of time...WOW! have they gotten pricey. The thing is though with a "civilian BoB" the day glow colors don't belend in well in a SHTF situation. Nothing a can of spary paint or bottle of dye can't fix though, right?

All my packs are "Coyote Brown" or black. That helps me blend in, in both urban and rural types of environments. Many of my clothes are of a neutral color as well. I try to do everything possible to have people ignore me when "Oot and Aboot".

When I retired, I literally got rid of everything that associated me with the military when it came to clothing. Except for the good stuff, like socks, belt, T-Shirts and underwear. And my woobies...the only camo I have. Not much can relace a wooby!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

What is a Wooby?

USMC here...

Never heard of it

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

It's in how you pack.

I pack mine with the idea that I may lose it or damage some area of it.

So I carry several small packs.

Redundancy.

I don't put weather gear in just one area.
I don't put food in just one area.
I don't put weapons in just one area.

As a matter of fact, when we do go out, I anticipate losing my bag completely.

What I carry in pockets, pouches, also is redundancy.

Just my humble opinion. (I'll go back to standing in the hall now. . . . )

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

semperfortis

What is a Wooby?

USMC here...

Never heard of it

A wooby is the Poncho Liner.

I guess it must have been a Army thing. We never deployed without our woobies.

The Army actually back in the late nineties thought about doing away with them and there was such a backlash in the ranks, they actually changed their minds. (Will miracles never cease?)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I am Leather Neck too--- and all we ever called them is a Poncho Liner.

And I love, love, love me a good Poncho Liner.

most people who know what they are, and how warm they keep ya--- love them too ---and that's probably why their stolen so often.

As for pack color I too prefer forest greens, grays or white in the winter months. But once again I will say Most military packs are ten to twenty years behind the times technology wise. Every day new companies are bringing out better stronger durable lighter and more versatile materials and designs. especially these new air packs, very nice. Black Diamond is the brand I look for most often. price verses quality these guys come out top of my list time and time again.

I may not have humped on every continent But I have covered the Rockies from Mexico up into the Yukon.
and yes I was deployed to Sangin, Afghanistan in September of 2010. and if I have say anything about that it would simply be I had a hard lesion in what equipment works and what would get you arise handed to you

edit on 17-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I prefer to use a modified tactical vest for all gear needed for quick access: knife, water filter, sidearm, spare mags, flashlight, matches, magnesium firestarter, cordage, compass, optics and a rain poncho/shelter half, mesh headnet and gloves as well as a first aid kit.

I sewed a pocket on the back to carry a large hydration bag and covered the tube with the same cloth for concealment so I can tuck the end in but still have one hand access. Extra pockets were sewn in to the inside of the shoulders on the vest where I stuff an extra pair of neatly folded socks on each side which helps to cushion those backpack straps that feel like they're cutting into your shoulders. Works nicely.

A vest allows you carry weight closer to your body and in worst case situations you can ditch your backpack and still have minimal tools and supplies to survive.

This seemed to be the best compromise taking tactical considerations into account.

Best way to test your gear is take it out for a weekend and see what you use and what you don't.
Keep paring down items until you have a comfortable load with enough gear to get you through most situations.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Yes, they do keep coming with better pack designs but I have yet to find any made in neutral colors.
Always orange, blue or some other color that can be seen from miles away.
I would add that any good pack should have a padded waist belt to keep it nice and snug on your body.

What did you find the least expedient or least needed among your gear while you were serving?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Asktheanimals

Best way to test your gear is take it out for a weekend and see what you use and what you don't.
Keep paring down items until you have a comfortable load with enough gear to get you through most situations.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

VERY good advise.

The husband and I went to a "survival weekend" camp many years ago before all of this became popular. He is a marine, so his pack was appropriate.
We were instructed to bring our gear. We did. The instructor went through all of our packs and threw darned near everything people had in their packs. Said theyd learn what was necessary and what wasnt real quick. LOL! Its good to take a notepad with you when you go out on that weekend and keep track of what you "wish" you had brought rather than those battery powered warming socks or other unnecessary gizmos. Sometimes you find some of your "gear" is more of a burden than an aid.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have found that Voo Doo Tactical makes some very nice packs, they need to be scrutinized within the warranty period, as immediately upon receipt for any defects, as they are made in china. A Voo Doo Tobago enhanced pack works well, I have one I have been using for eight years, but make sure you get one with removable straps. They cost about $75.00 to $150.00 depending upon the vendor.

North face has always made good stuff, but it tends to be overpriced anywhere you can find a vendor, no matter where you can buy it. It's usually best to buy it used because of the high price they demand for it, but most of it is made in china also.

The best source I have found for any type of pack or bag is Jannd Mountaineering, the stuff is nearly bombproof and has a really good warranty service, the stuff I have bought from them lasts long enough where the zippers simply wear out from use. Jandd Mountaineering is located in the U.S., and if any of their stuff is made in china they do a good job of keeping that fact under wraps.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join