It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange metal Asteroid targeted in far out mission

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Thought I'd share this with ATS.

Scientists are trying to get approval for a mission that would send a probe to a strange Asteroid named "Psyche" in the Main Astreroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. This Asteroid is strange because it's made of metal; supposedly, "Scientists think the object is the nearly naked core of a proto-planet whose overlying rock layers were blasted off by massive collisions long ago."

If true, then this will be a great opportunity to learn about planet development; it's also the perfect opportunity to see the inner layers of a planet-almost like a cross section in dissection if you will.

What say you, ATS?

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Intresting.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Planetary Resources, Inc need to get one of their spectrometers on that mission to look for precious metals

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sounds pretty interesting. Some things that are done in space I don't mind our country funding, this may be one of them. If science has a better understanding of what our core is composed of, maybe it could help us here on earth. I don't think we need to colonize mars or step on the moon again though. What happened to mars is not possible to determine and unless you get a colony within one of those magnetic bubble areas, the chances of anyone surviving long is slim.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

rickymouse I don't think we need to colonize mars or step on the moon again though. the chances of anyone surviving long is slim.

You could not be more wrong.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

JadeStar

rickymouse I don't think we need to colonize mars or step on the moon again though. the chances of anyone surviving long is slim.

Exactly. The radiation problem has been so hyperinflated.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

To me the more missions the better, anywhere and to everything. Why not 20 rovers on Mars, a half dozen on each of the big moons, missions to all sorts of things and more large telescopes here on earth and in space. Think of what an extra hundred billion dollars would do, not an absurd amount to talk about with the kind of money floating around in public and private hands.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

JadeStar

Give me one really good reason why we NEED to spend so much money to colonize mars or step on the moon again.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The space treaty debars NASA from making use of celestial bodies, I guess exploration and a few samples is okay though.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

JadeStar
Planetary Resources, Inc need to get one of their spectrometers on that mission to look for precious metals

What I would give to invest £1000 on them.

Unfortunately their financial model sucks.

Public takes the risk in kick-starter with no reward and the billion airs use that money to become trillionairs..........

edit on 15-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Why do we need precious metals anyway, they are designing new technology that utilizes abundant resources that can replace the need for some of the precious metals. Gold, who really needs gold. It makes great connections on circuit boards that go obsolete within five years anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

rickymouse

Why do we need precious metals anyway, they are designing new technology that utilizes abundant resources that can replace the need for some of the precious metals. Gold, who really needs gold. It makes great connections on circuit boards that go obsolete within five years anyway.

Platinum and rubidium come to mind!

When it comes to catalytses in certain chemical processes you just cant replace them.

They are vital in alot of everyday things as well as in industry.

Think before you speak. Your sounding like some closed minded person makeing half arsed exuses because he/shes scared of progress.

Move aside old man and stop standing in the way of progress

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

rickymouse

Give me one really good reason why we NEED to spend so much money to colonize mars or step on the moon again.

Resources, future expansion room, inspiring the future young minds, pushing the boundaryz of human limits, protecting ourselves from extinction level events, having a place to put our most polluting dirty industries!

If you build a shipyard on the moon or mars then you could reduce the cost of space exploitation and exploration by magnitudes.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

They have discovered catalysts that are inexpensive to produce and can replace platinum recently. I actually read a lot about new technology. I mean we will always need platinum but there are a lot of scientists researching new compounds to accomplish cheaper and more sustainable products around the world. Cheap printed solar panels using organic complexes will replace a lot of the need for some of these things. Simple inexpensive new catalysts and discoveries will make these rare metals unnecessary in the future if we keep up the research.

Maybe it is you that is not keeping up with scientific discoveries every day, I read at least twenty articles a day minimum across various fields. Sometimes I read up to fifty if I find something interesting.

I'm into making things affordable and eco-friendly myself. I am not against change, I am against change that is not rational. I am more of a conservative, thinking need and cost effectiveness should be considered strongly.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

rickymouse

Eventually, guaranteed 100% extinction if we take too long.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Not cost effective in my mind. Although my being a business owner that owed little business debt all along does not make me an expert. After all, you are talking about government funding this, and we all know how they like to waste money and complicate things. The working man can pay for all of this through taxes.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

rickymouse

Maybe it is you that is not keeping up with scientific discoveries every day, I read at least twenty articles a day minimum across various fields. Sometimes I read up to fifty if I find something interesting.

I WORK in the scientific field and I have had to make extensive use of catalyst and fined tuned machines that use rare earths.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Junkheap

rickymouse

Eventually, guaranteed 100% extinction if we take too long.

It is practices like building rockets and other things that we really don't need to have that is causing the risk of extinction

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

rickymouse

The working man can pay for all of this through taxes.

Better than what our goverment wastes most our money on.

And its not just about resources I listed a number of reason or do you have trouble with multiple concepts and cross linking ideas?

Yeah your a small business owner great. Not everything in world is about humble capitlism and small scale economics.

We are talking alot bigger here.

As I said step aside , just dont step in front and try and stop progress. Dont like it, ok, just dont try and get in the way cause of your own predjuces and fears.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

rickymouse

It is practices like building rockets and other things that we really don't need to have that is causing the risk of extinction

WTF?

How does a rocket risk extinction?

If you say global warming then take your computer and all you electronic gear and smash it up right now and do your part for the hippy movement rather than just point fingers.

Sorry we can have all the luxurys we have now and more if we just make the effort and move out.

But whats the point with discussing it with you? Your already set in your own ways and wont budge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join