It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico on the brink of civil war?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

ezwip
This isn't Aghanistan where did these Mexicans suddenly find massive caches of weapons?

The DEA and CIA 'find' guns that their previous owners will never use again and sell them to the Mexicans, at least that is plausible. When there is high demand for a product someone will deliver. Laws of economics are more powerful than laws of the state.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Guyfriday
reply to post by WonderBoi

Could you possibly clarify what's going on in Mexico then? It would be great to have this topic added to by someone who lives there.

Yeah, there's a "war" going on. A war between the cartels and the government gone wild. The Mexican people aren't fighting that battle. They're minding their own business. So, all the "killings and "kidnappings" you hear about, are usually based from corruption. The cartels are NOT afraid to take out a politician; along with their family members. They're certainly not going to kill off their customers. That's not very good for business, is it???

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

So is the problem mostly in the north, or is it nation wide?
Also thanks for giving it a better prospective.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Guyfriday

So is the problem mostly in the north, or is it nation wide?
Also thanks for giving it a better prospective.
Corruption runs a muck, NATIONWIDE! The people here KNOW. They just don't know what to do. Yes, drugs are TERRIBLE, here! But, the cartels are not busting through people's door, screaming: "take our drugs or we'll kill you!" Drug addiction is a choice! Can't blame the pharmacist.

Do you know what scares me the MOST, about living in Mexico? The Police!!! They frighten me; and i don't scare easily!!! Ain't none of that "Miranda Rights" stuff, goin' on, over this side of the border. Oh, and don't let them think you got "money".
The cops in Mexico got full authority to beat your @$$ to a pulp!!! Lawyers? hahahahahahaha Don't even mention that fact! To them, lawyer = you got "money". They begin looking at you like this: $.$ If they think they can get some "money" from you, nice knowin' ya!

Also, if i'm not mistaken the P.A.N. party is corrupt government, and the P.R.I. party is cartel affiliated. P.A.N. has been in office, for the past 8 years, i believe; and it has sucked! But, P.R.I. won the past election and cleaned house Jan. 1, 2014. When a new administration enters, everyone from the old administration is out of a job. When P.R.I. was in office, this place was happening. Tourism galore. P.A.N. put an end to that, quickly! Americans became afraid of Mexico. Cops in front of the clubs will do that to ya.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

stirling
This is an encouraging turn of events......I heard about the Mormons at war with the cartels....(theres a bunch in Mexico)
But have been awaiting the moment that the people of Mexico took up arms......
Now i have hopes the example will be emulated in America...................

That is a really strange connection Stirling, militant Mormons in Mexico fighting the drug cartels.

I used to be involved in the LDS church in my youth, they seemed far from militant in their teachings. I'd like to see some links on that if you have them.

You have got me looking into Mexican Mormons and here is some quick figures . . .

1,317,700 Total Church Membership

www.mormonnewsroom.org...

I never thought about the LDS south of the border. I think I'll look into that now, gracias senor Stirling.

edit on 17-1-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
at least this population has the balls to stand up and fight back. wonder what it will take for the US citizens to do the same?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

jrod

UnmitigatedDisaster
I'm sure the U.S. government will see the time is right to switch from supporting the cartels to selling arms to the rebelling people.

Hopefully, as others have said, they succeed in both liberating themselves AND in not becoming their own new tyranny.

I think whoever is in the business of selling arms will sell to both sides, and are likely already doing that.

Given the current US administration's track record, I foresee using this as a reason to demonize the 2nd Amendment.

Right? We wouldn't want anyone to realize that arms allow you to take action when your government and protection agencies fail to.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I think its definately the right move.... the people have to do something to protect themselves against the cartels and there are more 'freedom fighters' than there are cartels!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So close to the border of the USA, and the USA for such a long time busy with the war on drugs, while the biggest market for the same drugs is in the USA and fighting a war far away in Afghanistan where warlords get rich from drugs and buy weapons. Yet they produce more then ever... WTF.

Time to make drugs worthless in money. You can get high sniffing glue, but you won't use it even when it's cheap!
So just make it like alchohol, tax it a bit.. get money as a government from that and my bet things will be much better then then it is now.

No more warlords or gangs getting very rich from drugs creating chaos just by making again drugs almost worthless in money.
edit on 17-1-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Despite the news going wild about the uprisings here in my home state of Michoacán, now and throughout all of 2013 has been about as peaceful as I have seen things for the past several years. What is happening now may be more than I am able to observe but I suggest a lot of it is carrying-on the momentum of reform now to return their towns to pre-Drug War normal.

I think most here responding in this thread have the right idea, using government intervntion while there is corrupt money at stake is like tossing gasoline on a fire. The whole Drug War is a scam to inflate the value of an otherwise low-cost commodity and a tool to use against people's privacy as a wedgeway into their livingrooms. Profiteers have gained capital, influence, and positions of power and appearance of respectability.

To say what really needs to be said and have intelligent discussion regarding the whole affair would be against ATS T&C policies and lead to a ban. People in positions of power are not ready for the truth to be spoken.

Meanwhile here in Morelia, capital city of Michoacán, life goes on as normal and peple are really not going out of their way to restrict their travel and activities. I am sure it is quieter here in the big city than in many more rural areas of the state. I know about these things from the news and not by observation as I go about my days.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Thanks for chiming in Eron. Your like the voice of reason in such topics.

- MSB

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I'd say that the USA gets the idea from Mexico to do the very same thing and keep running in 90% of the worlds heroin from Afghanistan to get all their young hooked while they make money hand over fist and they say they need to take our guns so we don't act like them dumb stupid Mexicans and shoot up our police. But, that's just what this dumb old man of 63 says that doesn't know anything nor even lived long enough to know anything.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
www.borderlandbeat.com...
It would appear the self defense group is making some headway: Do not clink on the link unless you can handle heads without bodies....

A woman embraces self-defense group spokesman Estanislao Beltran in Tancitaro, Michoacan, Mexico, Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014. Mexico's spreading vigilante movement announced its first big land hand-out, returning 25 avocado orchards to farmers whose properties had been seized by the cartel,

Calderon sent the Army into Michoacan days after he was inaugurated. Critics said it was just a political act to legitimize his close election victory. But it was taken after some severed heads were thrown onto the dance floor of night club in Michoacan, almost like a challenge to the new administration

Leovigildo Sanchez, who attended the land handover ceremony, said the cartel killed his father and brother and took two orchards. He began working the land again after self-defense formed in Tancitaro in November.

"I thank God and the self-defense groups. We are here with them," he said.

"Thanks to the self-defense groups, we can work our orchards," said Agustin Arteaga, who had been kept off his land for several years since nearly a dozen trucks pulled up and men tied and beat him before taking his orchard.

This is so inspiring to me on so many levels: A disarmed society is at the total mercy of those who are not.

P.S. america.aljazeera.com...
Photos: Mexican vigilantes take a drug lord's house
edit on 18-1-2014 by 727Sky because: P.S.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It about time. We may learn something here.

The Mexican government has long been corrupt. Appears they can't take it anymore. The cartels run the country and the people are trying to take it back.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

We are discussing this extraordinary thread tonight on ATS Live! I hope our man on the ground there Eron and a great friend of the show can call in and tell us first hand what is going on in Mexico.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
interesting that the drug cartel that is being fought is called 'the knights templar'

In an interview with MVS Radio, he noted that the Familia Michoacana cartel -- which eventually splintered and led to the formation of the Knights Templar -- also started out as a group that aimed to defend the state's residents in a push to kick out the Zetas

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
All quiet on the southern front it seems.

For those who follow this, keep tabs on which media outlets report what. I think it's important to keep the word "vigilante" out of the press. It has too much of a negative connotation. "Self Defense Groups" is more apt.

However, it looks as though the international community is more interested in all this than the locals themselves. Or rather, to the locals it isn't newsworthy. When you have your nose in it, you don't talk about it. You do what you have to do. It is what it is.

www.vozdemichoacan.com.mx...

mimorelia.com...

www.facebook.com...

en-gb.facebook.com...

All sites were translated before posting the links.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This story has been taken to the next level now.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join