It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Invention: Triton Oxygen Respirator Extracts Air Underwater!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

sulaw
reply to post by TDawgRex

Indeed! I love rapelling there! I've been going to Devils Lake, Wisconsin since I was 5yrs old... HOLY GUACAMOLY I'm 31!!! Where did the time go!!! Wheeler Campground is also nice if you can't get in that 2yr reservation list for camping in the state park

It's supposed to be pretty fricken deep at that, i've heard... I wouldn't mind taking the triton for a swim and testing it there!

Devils Lake is not that deep. 50+ feet. I learned to rappel and scuba there. (Yep, I 'm a local Cheesehead, though no longer).

But everytime I go to visit family, I have to go there...as if it is calling to me. If this thing is approved for shallow dives...I'm oh...so...there!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
All of the commenters who dive, on both the links you used, say this cannot work and their reasons seem very valid.

As a woman I would love this, the tanks are so dang heavy it is ridiculous dealing with them.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
That thing is rather neat if it works as intended by separating oxygen dissolved in water. But it still has limited use, and potential problems others have mentioned do sound like valid concerns.

However the way it works would also be no good for firefighting, for the same reason that chemical respirators or gas masks aren't any good for that purpose. Fires use up all the free oxygen, so all you're left with is carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide or other gases you can't breathe. In a fire, there's no oxygen left to filter out. It's why fire fighters have to use air tanks or (in some cases) perchlorate-based oxygen generators.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

TDawgRex
Air Tanks run out. If this could be perfected, they wouldn't run out of air and have to be rotated out.

How much dissolved oxygen do you think there is in water, how much would the water weigh....

People do not seem to understand how this is supposed to work, it does not take the O from the H2O, it takes the O from the dissolved O in the water.... like a fish does.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I am not sure if anyone read the article but the Trton is a concept idea not a functioning device. The "idea" comes from a 20 year old student Jeabyun Yeon looking for intern work.

Concept
To breathe under water, we must learn how to use complicated oxygen respirator. If we can stay under water for a long time through an easy way, many changes will occur in our marine lifestyle. TRITON is a very convenient oxygen respirator concept. It allows us to breathe under water for a long time by simply biting it. It also does not require the skill of breathing in and out while biting mouth piece like conventional respirator. It is a portal oxygen respirator for breathing under water as if being on ground by simply biting it.

SEE HERE

www.behance.net...

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

hellobruce

TDawgRex
Air Tanks run out. If this could be perfected, they wouldn't run out of air and have to be rotated out.

How much dissolved oxygen do you think there is in water, how much would the water weigh....

People do not seem to understand how this is supposed to work, it does not take the O from the H2O, it takes the O from the dissolved O in the water.... like a fish does.

I'm no scientist, I just thought it was a cool concept.

But the things that this could do if perfected would be amazing. That's where my head is at with this.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Yes they would, this device does not take the O, out of H20, it takes the O2 dissolved in H20, which means you still have a ton of heavy water to carry around. Water does not dissolve more oxygen, than an oxygen tank holds. If a tank of oxygen is say 10litres it's 100% 10 liters of oxygen, if you put a tank of ten liters of water with oxygen dissolved in it, it's substantially less O2, and it's 10 times the weight.

The Air tanks the fire fighters carry are so much more efficient, the only way this tech would be useful for firefighters is if it can filter out all the harmful particles and gasses and only bring in the O2 from the ambient environment.

This device is designed for divers and that's all it's going to be good for guys.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Hijinx

Maybe if the firefighter wore a backpack coupled to a water source. As the water flows through the hose it is also flowing through the device providing air.

Would that work?

Only if he can carry around a thousand liters of aerated water an hour, I'm afraid. It would be a lot easier to just feed him air...

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Bedlam

TDawgRex
reply to post by Hijinx

Maybe if the firefighter wore a backpack coupled to a water source. As the water flows through the hose it is also flowing through the device providing air.

Would that work?

Only if he can carry around a thousand liters of aerated water an hour, I'm afraid. It would be a lot easier to just feed him air...

OK! OK! I get it! LOL

But can't the aerator be in the pump that sends the water bwhich is attached and powered by the truck pumping it? Just asking.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Bedlam

TDawgRex
reply to post by Hijinx

Would that work?

OK! OK! I get it! LOL

But can't the aerator be in the pump that sends the water bwhich is attached and powered by the truck pumping it? Just asking.

Well, I suppose it could, but now you've got an aerator on one side and an extractor on the other. Why not just ship him air?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Bedlam

TDawgRex

Bedlam

TDawgRex
reply to post by Hijinx

Would that work?

OK! OK! I get it! LOL

Well, I suppose it could, but now you've got an aerator on one side and an extractor on the other. Why not just ship him air?

Instead of two hoses...just the one. I'm no engineer, but I think that if you could combine the two it would be a good thing. You're deliver O2 for the firefighter to breathe and water to fight the fire at the same time.

I'm sure the pressures involved are pretty hefty though and could pose a problem.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

With slight modification, it could also be used on land, by firefighters in smoke filled building for example.

All they'd need would be a small canister of water or something similar to a hydration backpack to extract O2 from..there's a lot of O2 in a single litre of water..about 630 litres worth.

While this is awesome and I want one which I am also willing to pay for if it works as advertised I do not think your above quote is correct.

I didn't see where it says that in your source(i may be blind). Althogh water is H2o I do not believe this device is breaking it down into those components if it could we would have a great energy device for hydrogen. As far as I know it takes energy to break those components down.

There is oxygen suspended in water an I believe this device is simply filtering it out. Also, this device should only work to certain depths because the oxygen content decreases the further you dive, and your body requires a compressed source or your lungs cannot withstand the pressure.

My hope is this could work at least as deep as snorkeling depth any deeper you would(for safety reasons) need to at least carry scuba tanks.

Edit to add

I see some others already pointed out that this does not break down the water.

I did notice in the design it has a mini compressor so the dive depth will be limited to the compression rate it can perform. That is actually a good thing because theoretically a larger device could filter more and compress more, and the diver would be limited on the battery capacity. I like this design it would perform as gills I would still carry a backup compressed tank for emergency and probably a backup battery pack.

This would definitely need processing power to adjust O2 levels for deeper dives. This is still awesome.

BTW I love diving. The limitations of the human body would still be a factor on dive times.
edit on 14-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

The guy saw star wars ep I and rip off the idea, seems really impossible that he is going to filter the oxygen from water, what are you gonna fill your lungs with if its the lungs what move the water through the filter?

You do realise George Lucas ripped off his ideas from other movies.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Someone said this is a prototype and none has been tested yet?
I disagree! A friend of ours has been using one. Last summer he was really into it and described to me what it is like. He says it is a bit harder to breathe than with traditional oxygen tanks- you have to keep your breathing much slower. But he said you get the hang of it rather quickly. He was just all stoked because you can spend so much longer time under.
I am not sure how it is he got one, if it is such a rare and untested thing- I know he is a very accomplished diver and sailor, a doctor, and has a lot of experience.
But I doubt this would change the need for certification- I don't see any reason it would.

ETA- on second thought, please excuse my mistake, I just remembered he was using a recycling (rebreather) system, not this one.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

I think you miss something very important and it seems nobody noticed as of yet. As a firefighter, I´m sure you don´t want to depend on a connection to a water host. Current 300bar systems with say 5 liter tanks can support you longer than one hour until your pressure runs low (and so does capacity)

I once made a night/evening dive (at 6 pm it´s already dark) mostly staying around 5-12 meters and was there for a little more than 90 minutes (did not want to go ;-), just surfaced because I did not want to miss dinner) I started with 200bar and 7 liter alu tank and went out with around 80bar pressure, still enough to breath a long time and if you stay at atmosphere pressure you can breath longer due to explained lung/pressure function above.

And then there is O2 toxicity that can start at around 5-7 meters, depending on the diver, like said before.
edit on 15-1-2014 by verschickter because: spelling

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Great imagineering, but a poor understanding of the physiological requirements of effective mammalian survival in increased pressure environments.

Luckily, Nature has been working on this problem for a while and her research shows that in the case of Air breathing mammals, it is simply more efficient to take the oxygen down with you.

Obviously Whales and Dolphins have the benefit of millions of years of adaptation to help them make extended, deep dives but Bio Technology might provide all humans with the ability to do so using Respirocytes

en.wikipedia.org...

Although hypothetical, I would bet everything I own that this kind of technology is a more likely candidate for allowing Humans to dive without tanks than a gill given Human physiology.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Oh man... great find... snorkling will take on a completelly different dimension.... can t wait till this thing goes retail...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

Did you just look at the picture?
Read the thread, multiple divers quoted as to why it wont work.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Dynamitrios
can t wait till this thing goes retail...

You will be waiting a very long time.... all it actually is:

“A visualization for a conceptual diving respirator without a tank”

There is no blueprint, the technology does not exist, there is no model, no prototype.

And if it did exist it still would have many problems as the current scuba system has.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jukiodone

the fact that it has reached this stage already (even on the drawing board) is proof that it will exist soon™ in this, or another workable form...

it s an alternate approach to Clarke s first law: "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

so for me in conclusion, this means that everything thought of or developed as a theory, will at some point manifest

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join