It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic battery hailed as cheap renewable energy solution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
We are going in the right direction. Finally a renewable source of energy under way.

A cheap rechargeable battery that harnesses energy by using the electrochemistry of organic molecules rather than metals is being touted by Harvard researchers as a breakthrough for renewable energy.

I hope this really does take us off our dependance on fossil fuels...

"A safe and economical flow battery could play a huge role in our transition off fossil fuels to renewable electricity. I'm excited that we have a good shot at it."

There is hope for our future. not only ecologicaly, but financialy as well...It should be a lot cheaper than current technologie according to the article

According to MIT Technology review, a conventional metal-reliant flow battery costs an estimated $700 per kilowatt-hour of storage capacity, whereas the Harvard team's metal-free technology would bring those costs down to $27 per kilowatt-hour.

This is big news imo so I just thought I'd share.

Have a great day all!
edit on 14-1-2014 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Sure it costs them less, but I doubt we'll see the savings.
Can this batery provide enough power to work in an electric car, it says it's cheaper but is it usable?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

ChefSlug
Sure it costs them less, but I doubt we'll see the savings.
Can this batery provide enough power to work in an electric car, it says it's cheaper but is it usable?

A conventional electric car could be charged from one of these batteries!!

People need to wake up fast! Some states are already charging a TAX on those who generate their own solar power! There's a thread somewhere about it. Those who generate their own power ar being labeled as "Freeloaders" WTF!!!

If we dont wake up we'll NEVER be allowed to have free/cheap energy.
edit on 14-1-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
They plan on using this to store the energy collected from solar panels & wind turbines..and it will be quite large too if I read right...

The U.S. target is to generate 100 gigawatts of solar power by 2020.

The researchers are working with a Connecticut-based company called Sustainable Innovations to create a portable, organic flow battery inside a unit about the size of a horse trailer.

The flow battery would be hooked to solar panels on the roof of a commercial building. The energy stored in the battery could power the building or be used whenever there's a need for it.

From OP link

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A rhubarb battery, how cool is that?

I hope their work progresses quickly!

new topics

top topics

join