It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima radiation… what you need to know and why

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

ENrgLee
reply to post by RickinVa

I think that a 8.9 earthquake, followed by a Tsunami, followed by explosions at a nuclear plant, followed by simultaneous triple core meltdown at a nuclear facility is an Epic Global Disaster......... you do not.

How is it global?

They all happened at the same place.... a City in Japan.

The freaking island was physically moved by the force of the quake.... great googly moogly how can you not call that a global event?

but then again this has nothing to do with the OP either...just more distractions
edit on 14-1-2014 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

more false information... if you will kindly scroll back to the original post, you will find there were links provided.

Lots of links reguarding what happens when you get exposed to high amounts of radiation...

The dangers of it....

The things it can do to you.....

Only one article of the several that you linked, even talks about radiation measurements from fukushima, and that article, NOT ONLY uses Rems (instead of seiverts) as a unit of measurement, but it is 3 years old, and there is only ONE mention of an actual measurement, and it is FROM the reactor.

An example from your first link:

In parts of Japan, radioactivity has been detected at various times in milk, meat, vegetables and tap water, on the ground and in the sea around the power plant.

How much radiaiton?

What element?

What isotope?

What energy levels?

Is it naturally occuring?

Etcetera...

Your links do not contain any useful information that one could use to inform thelselves of what is actually happening, NOW....

And the information that IS contained in this article is either vague, nonsensical, pointless, or using outdated terminology.

It's kind of sad.

no one is attacking you... it would seem to be the other way around

Are you suggesting that me asking you a question about the normal level of radiation in the oceans, and then answering that question FOR YOU, when you refused to answer....

Is attacking you?

This is a thread about bio-accumulation.

You have not posted one bit of information about actual measurements of bioaccumulated radiation from Fukushima.

I think your topic, is off topic.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

ENrgLee

more false information... if you will kindly scroll back to the original post, you will find there were links provided.

Lots of links reguarding what happens when you get exposed to high amounts of radiation...

The dangers of it....

The things it can do to you.....

Only one article of the several that you linked, even talks about radiation measurements from fukushima, and that article, NOT ONLY uses Rems (instead of seiverts) as a unit of measurement, but it is 3 years old, and there is only ONE mention of an actual measurement, and it is FROM the reactor.

An example from your first link:

In parts of Japan, radioactivity has been detected at various times in milk, meat, vegetables and tap water, on the ground and in the sea around the power plant.

How much radiaiton?

What element?

What isotope?

What energy levels?

Is it naturally occuring?

Etcetera...

Your links do not contain any useful information that one could use to inform thelselves of what is actually happening, NOW....

And the information that IS contained in this article is either vague, nonsensical, pointless, or using outdated terminology.

It's kind of sad.

no one is attacking you... it would seem to be the other way around

Are you suggesting that me asking you a question about the normal level of radiation in the oceans, and then answering that question FOR YOU, when you refused to answer....

Is attacking you?

This is a thread about bio-accumulation.

You have not posted one bit of information about actual measurements of bioaccumulated radiation from Fukushima.

I think your topic, is off topic.

Once again we will agree to disagree. Logical sense tells me that if there is radiation leaking into the ocean on a daily basis,, then that's a bad thing. I can promise you there is bio accumulation at Fukushima......its simply impossible for it not to exist given the amount of ground water that flows through the Fukushima plant on a daily basis. If you want to tell me that it can not possibly exist because I don't provide a link, that is just absurd.

All I can tell you is this....... any new radiation introduced to our environment whether it be natural or man made is not a good thing no matter how much it is. I never said Fukushima was the end of the world.... but I can promise you this...... not one single good thing will come out of Fukushima.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

RickinVa
Back to bio accumulation.... it will be interesting to see the results of the Kelp study.... They are getting volunteers to help take samples all up and down the California coast.

edit on 14-1-2014 by RickinVa because: spelling error

We checked our Kelp/ Seaweed many Times,
please have a look: Seaweed

I hope the Translation work for you!
Original in Japanese for individual Download

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Human0815

RickinVa
Back to bio accumulation.... it will be interesting to see the results of the Kelp study.... They are getting volunteers to help take samples all up and down the California coast.

edit on 14-1-2014 by RickinVa because: spelling error

We checked our Kelp/ Seaweed many Times,
please have a look: Seaweed

I hope the Translation work for you!
Original in Japanese for individual Download

I would prefer to wait and see the results of the USA kelp studies.... I really don't trust any information from Tepco or the Japanese government about Fukushima.

This is not a short term topic,,,, I plan to keep it alive as I find whatever new updates may pop up.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

It is not from Tepco or the Japanese Government, Institution or University
but from concerned Citizens who started to collect their own Data!

You would see it when you click the Link but as long as you are selective
in your Research as long you can't get the whole Picture!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Ok… time to go back to the basics yet once again:
The topic of the thread is Fukushima radiation….. what you need to know.

Is Fukushima leaking radiation???

Answer: Yes

Oh noes!!!! Am I going to die?

Answer: Yes…. We all are going to die at some point… will it be from Fukushima radiation? Very doubtful.

Will there be bio-accumulation of radiation from Fukushima?

Answer: Yes…. Exactly how much or how far spread remains to be seen.

Oh my gosh… how much radiation is leaking from Fukushima?

Answer: Nobody really knows for sure. The main current problem is ground water. The basements of the four reactors are built below sea level which means they are prone to flooding. After the 8.9 earthquake, ground water flowing through the reactor basements became a significant problem and remains a very big problem to this day:

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A0oG7mAMBtVSXyMA8WlXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'Exc3BoNG9sBHNlY wNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--

www.huffingtonpost.com...

http:// phys.org/news/2013-10-fukushima-groundwater-spikes.html

etc… this has been well documented.

It has been estimated that 300 – 400 tons of radioactive water is leaking into the Pacific ocean on a daily basis. This is at best a guesstimate by Tepco. No one will ever tell you “Why yes!!! There is exactly 314,283 tons of radioactive water going into the Pacific ocean that contains these exact amounts of the radioactive elements cesium, strontium, etc"…. The best anyone can do is guess.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.livescience.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

Great googly moogly Batman…… do you know how much water is in the Pacific ocean compared to the teeny weeny amount of radiation coming out of Fukushima???

Answer: Why yes I do Robin!!!! And while I agree that it is currently extremely small in comparison to the rest of the ocean, there is no current time frame of when the leakage can be stopped, if ever!!!

I also personally believe that any excess radiation should be avoided whenever possible.

web.mit.edu...

www.pbs.org...

environment.about.com...

So once again I will pass on the Pacific seafood…… you guys can eat all you want and lets try to stay on topic!!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
- If posts cannot be held to the topic, then hold them to yourself. Any further posts that reference each other instead of the topic will result in removal of the post, at the very least.

Go After The Ball, Not The Player

-Wrabbit

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
- If posts cannot be held to the topic, then hold them to yourself. Any further posts that reference each other instead of the topic will result in removal of the post, at the very least.

Go After The Ball, Not The Player

-Wrabbit

I will comply

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

ENrgLee

Ah, still not fast enough...

Here are the figures:

(1971 Radioactivity in the Marine Environment, National Academy of Sciences)
(Abstract: www.umich.edu...)

Natural Radioactivity in the Ocean

(Figures for all oceans, seperated by isotope)

Uranium 41,000,000,000,000,000,000 Bequerels
Potassium-40 14,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Bequerels
Tritium 740,000,000,000,000,000 Bequerels
Carbon-14 6,700,000,000,000,000,000 Bequerels
Rubidium-87 1,300,000,000,000,000,000,000 Bequerels

Grand Total: 15,348,440,000,000,000,000,000 Bequerels

(That's 15.3 Zetta Bequerels)

How much did you say was being dumped into the oceans?

you will never ever convince me or anyone with half a brain that adding more radiation on top of any existing radiation is a good thing.

And you will never get away with saying that Fukushima is the end of the world.
edit on E2Tue, 14 Jan 2014 00:57:36 -0600120America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago by ENrgLee because: (no reason given)

Logically, we can assume from the above post, that there are 15.3 Zetta Bequerels of radiation currently in the ocean. Now since we don't have any known ill effects from this 15.3 Zetta Bequerels of radiation, we can then logically conclude that radiation is harmless to humans. That means that all that mumbo jumbo about about getting too many xrays or Cat scans in a certain amount of time is based on faulty information put out by the medical community.

Thanks goodness that is cleared up.,, I was almost scared to go outside there for a moment!!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

S&F just for bringing more awareness and resurfacing the old information which is incidentally not current or precise. It is a part of the censorship scheme. They certainly don't give us much to go on and what is available is pathetic and utterly insulting to our intelligence.

I'm getting so sick and tired of the world censorship of what is one of the worst mad made disasters ever to happen! I'm outraged at the fact that entire populations aren't demanding the truth. It's entirely baffling to me everything from the beginning of this disaster to everything that has happened since. Nothing makes sense..........and certainly not any of the few reports that minimize the real situation.

Everyone is silenced but what is worse is that this is a different type of silencing. This event has altered the course of this world and every one of our lives. It is a game changer for all time and sadly a very terrifying one.
edit on 14-1-2014 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Human0815
Op looks very angry because someone do not shared his Opinion,
but anger is a bad reason to start a Discussion, Topic or What So Ever

I am "happy" that this Accident happen/ed here in Japan and not
somewhere else like in Bulgaria, Slovenia or any other old Eastern European Plant.

Although there is no good place for a nuclear meltdown, and I would not want it in your back yard, I don't know if I could pick a worse place than AT sea level, essentially on the beach, in an earthquake zone where tsunami's exist. I REAALY don't believe Chernobyl is as problematic as this will become.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The biggest problem that I see with Fukushima is that the pro nuke people would like you to believe that any radiation coming out of Fukushima will be rendered harmless by the dilution cause by the massive amounts of water in the Pacific Ocean.

The only problem with that scenario is that radiation does not dilute.... If I have one particle of Strontium-90, aka "The Boneseeker"..... it doesn't matter whether it is on the head of a pin or its is snuggled up with nice and cozy with 249,000 quintillion bazillion million billion quadtrillion shama lama ding dong dillion quarts/liters/tons whatever of ocean water..... it's still that same one particle.

I do not want it near me

I do not want it on me...

And I especially do not want it in me.

The bottom line is that Fukushima is leaking nuclear radiation into the air and into the Pacific ocean and it is going to continue to do so for a very very long time....... no amount of figures you throw at it is going to change that.

If you want to discuss radioactivity in nature, then that's fine.....

www.lbl.gov...

this is some excellent reading that will broaden your knowledge.

But since this thread is about Fukushima and the radiation leaking from it, lets try to stick to that topic.

Q: How much radiation is leaking from Fukushima???

A: NO ONE KNOWS... the best you can get is an educated guess by your favorite scientist.

Q: When will Fukushima stop leaking???

A: NO ONE KNOWS... again the best you can get is an educated guess by your favorite scientist.

(remember an educated guess by the smartest person in the world is just that.... a guess)

Q: No need to worry, the vast amounts of water in the ocean will dilute any radioactivity coming out of Fukushima

A: NOT TRUE radiation does not dilute. There is only one way for 100% sure to get rid of most types of radioactivity.....TIME

Q: There is so much naturally occurring radiation in the Pacific ocean, any amount of radiation coming out of Fukushima must be absolutely microscopic compared to the radiation that is already there????

A: There is no safe amount of radioactivity. Any additional radiation released by Fukushima is bad. When a cell encounters radiation, one of 4 states must be achieved:

1. The track crossed the cell and no damage is created.

2. The track crossed the cell and the cell was damaged, but the cell was able to repair itself prior to division.

3. The track crossed the cell and the cell was killed.

4. The track crossed the cell and the cell was damaged, but the cell was unable to repair itself prior to division.

#4 should seem familiar to you.... the cell itself is damaged and unable to repair itself before it divided, It now divides and you have 2 cells that have the same damage then it divides again and now you have 4 damaged cells and so on and so forth.
This would lead to cancer, mutations, or other undesirable side effects from your encounter with radiation.

its kind of like the old smoker issue....... its been proven that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer, but not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer.... its basically luck of the draw it that regard.

I am out of time and have some errands to run, so I will leave this discussion where it is and reply to any responses later tonight when I get back home.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

I am "happy" that this Accident happen/ed here in Japan and not somewhere else like in Bulgaria, Slovenia or any other old Eastern European Plant.

I have a bad feeling about this and of what you are saying? Why would you be happy ? And do all your fellow country men and woman feel the same way?

I find it strange that you're wearing a demonstrative spilling nuclear plant avatar yet you continuously are defending most of the members worrisomeness about this incident as that everything is soo great?

I understand that this is an accident for now "god forbid when the real facts going to surface? " But why so much silence and secrecy. No government emissaries to look at all the options, to solve this world problem because it's going to be the world problem sooner or later.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

You have a youtube video...

You have articles that talk about radiation...

What you lack is any proof or scientific evidence that this is affecting people outside of Japan. I have linked several scientific articles which prove my point of view to be correct. You have yet to provide any evidence to prove yours.
edit on 14-1-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I removed the post.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The information that would be useful is how much of any given type of radiation would actually be able to start killing sea life or rendering it unfit for consumption. All the Fukashima threads just spit out large numbers at me and expect me to be scared by big numbers. Its not big numbers that scare me. When sea life starts shows tested as dead due to radiation poisoning, thats when I start worrying.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Oh Come on chap be realistic, the op is doing something that your government, world governments and the esteemed TEPCO are not, informing us all

and your comment about how you are glad that it happened in Japan and not the old sov block are null and void. the Russians did not mess around and i think for the time...... the 80's they did a great-ish job. yes the whole of Europe's increase in cancer 80's onward is blamed on smoking. but they held there hands up and bit the bullet

but you guys........ head in sand comes to mind,

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

This whole situation is scary and sad. I seriously weep for future generations. But on a side note, is it still safe to eat Top Ramen? I Iove me some noodles.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

deepseanews.com...

www.snopes.com...

knowyourmeme.com...

fukushima-diary.com...

newswatch.nationalgeographic.com...

I could post more scientific information, but yeah, that should make the point for now.

Basically there is a rash of fear mongering concerning what and how exactly Fukushima is affecting life on this planet. The people doing the fear mongering have no science to back them up, and will never post science that proves their point? Why? Because their beliefs just originate back to a circle jerk of bloggers who have no idea what is actually going on.

The motto of this site is deny ignorance. To deny ignorance you must educate yourself on the situation. In this case, the people who are denying ignorance are those who refuse to look at the science behind what is going on.

Fukushima IS a disaster, a bad one. It will probably be a disaster for a very long time. There is no taking away from that. However, the FACTS do not currently change that this is localized to Japan for the moment and is in no way shape or form affecting any countries outside of it for the moment.

If you want to debate the facts on this issue please SOURCE your data or I will dismiss it without merit. I linked science, you should do the same.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join