It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Gadget you should NOT buy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Looks like Google want control of everything these days.

A company that makes "talking" smoke alarms and thermostats that can be controlled from mobile phones has been bought by Google for $3.2bn (£2bn).

The cash deal for Nest, which was founded less than four years ago, is one of the biggest in the company's history.

It eclipses the $1.65bn (£1bn) Google spent on YouTube in 2006 and the $1.3bn (£794m) it paid for the mapping app Waze last year.

Google Buys Home Gadgets Firm Nest For £2bn

Check the link for more on this takeover by Google!

Seems to me to be a Spy Cam dressed up as a smoke alarm. What do you think?

I'd be careful if you were thinking of buying one.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I was actually going to buy one because my thermostat is in the fritz. It's nothing I'm particularly scared of -- as I do not believe it has a microphone or camera. It does have wifi, and probably just uses a couple of basic wires for power.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Yea Google is going to take over the world.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
One day Google, Apple, and Microsoft will all merge to become...

Microgoogple!

All your base are belong to us!

Google better be careful that it doesn't buy up to many companies that aren't going to make them money. I foresee a time in the future where Google will have to stop expanding so rapidly.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
"Please log in to your Google account so that you may adjust your thermostat's temperature setting".
Just kidding... I hope!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I think ill stick to the original smoke alarms, nothing wrong with them they have worked for people for years i dont get why everything has to be controlled by a smart phone or be high tech whats next..

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Like Buy n Large from Wall-e.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Sorry for the short post, but is it me or is google doing a great job becoming OCP?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
One day Google, Apple, and Microsoft will all merge to become...

Microgoogple!

All your base are belong to us!

More like "Mr MAGoo" imo

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I still have not seen anyone in this thread explain why you shouldn't have or buy a Nest.
It's a great product tbh if you have used one.
Is this a Tinfoil hat only warning?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I can sympithyze with some of your concerns, but I think this may be a good investment for anyone willing to pay the price.

Just by reading the article, you can see that NEST has some "big dogs" in their ranks that would be worth having on your side.

Nest was founded in May 2010 by Tony Fadell, who led the team that created the first iPods and iPhones, and software developer Matt Rogers.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Let me get this straight....

Buying a remote controlled smoke alarm is not advised since it MAY have a hidden microphone and camera, however it's perfectly fine to buy a smart phone or a notebook where no-one makes a secret that they IN FACT have a mic and a camera plus a GPS locator and what else?

Logic....? I mean...IF paranoid then please do it right, not halfass

edit on 12014R000000MondayAmerica/Chicago25PMMondayMonday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
oh nooooesss!

lol...

whatever.... lol

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I am a HVAC tech in East Texas, the Nest t-stat learns your habits by movement and goes by energy Star settings which means if your not home, it will raise your cooling temperature to around 80 degrees and your home will be humid and hot. I wouldn't have one in my home. I would look at a programmable t-stat , like Trane's 803 series or Lennox's 3000 and above.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Awesome product. You're on vacation, cold spell comes in .. you up your thermostat to prevent pipes freezing.

Or you can get paranoid like the OP and spend money to deal with freezing pipes bursting.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
A guy who has 3 houses and one near my work, comes in for a few beers whenever he gets in town because it takes a few hours to get the house warm, having one of these would be great in his case. Get off the airplane, turn the heat on, 3 hours later arrive home to a warm house.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

SixX18
A guy who has 3 houses and one near my work, comes in for a few beers whenever he gets in town because it takes a few hours to get the house warm, having one of these would be great in his case. Get off the airplane, turn the heat on, 3 hours later arrive home to a warm house.

Yep, it's the future.

OH CRAP! Did I turn off my oven???? *Checks* nope I didn't so glad I checked.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'm sure I saw something like this gadget in the Film 1984

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

NoRulesAllowed
Let me get this straight....

Buying a remote controlled smoke alarm is not advised since it MAY have a hidden microphone and camera, however it's perfectly fine to buy a smart phone or a notebook where no-one makes a secret that they IN FACT have a mic and a camera plus a GPS locator and what else?

Logic....? I mean...IF paranoid then please do it right, not halfass

edit on 12014R000000MondayAmerica/Chicago25PMMondayMonday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

Paranoid schizophrenic: "yeah man, the FBI and Google is totally gangstalking me, they have shady people following me around, and my new 'smart' microwave was acting all weird, I think Google already bought the company too.

Friend: "Oh really, where did read about Google secretly installing stuff on microwaves?"

Paranoid schizophrenic: "my iPhone"

Friend: /facepalm

More seriously, the FBI & NSA must love Silicon Valley. They convinced the world's population to self-bug (smart phones) and describe all their interactions with associates (Facebook). I mean, the Stasi had to WORK to get that information.
edit on 14-1-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

mbkennel

Paranoid schizophrenic: "yeah man, the FBI and Google is totally gangstalking me, they have shady people following me around, and my new 'smart' microwave was acting all weird, I think Google already bought the company too.

Friend: "Oh really, where did read about Google secretly installing stuff on microwaves?"

Paranoid schizophrenic: "my iPhone"

Friend: /facepalm

More seriously, the FBI & NSA must love Silicon Valley. They convinced the world's population to self-bug (smart phones) and describe all their interactions with associates (Facebook). I mean, the Stasi had to WORK to get that information.
edit on 14-1-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

That's is pretty funny while very sad at the same time. Not only have they done all that, they also managed to make boatloads of money along the way. How much more do they need before real "change " is forced onto us? I feel that moment in time is coming sooner than we would want.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join