It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would America collapse under the weight of mass exodus?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by ketsuko

Alright whatever, I've said my piece. I'm out.

What?!!?

Don't be a candy-ass!! You're one of the best thinkers on this site. Stick around and use your brain for all of our benefit. I may not respond to everything you say, but I certainly pay attention.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

And I'm using that thinking to taper my mouth off. I am dangerously close to a T&C violation. If the people posting in the thread want to get back to what the OP was talking about maybe I'll reenter, but apparently the consensus has become, that just because it is in the Predictions and Prophecies forum, you can talk about whatever crazy thing you think will happen in the future. Even though this thread would more clearly fall in the "Predictions" category of these forums as opposed to the "Prophecies". Personally, we could have avoided this who spiel if the OP had just put this thread in a more appropriate forum, but to each their own.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yes it would collapse and it wouldn't take as many people leaving as you might think

There is the Pareto principle where about 20% of the people do about 80% of the work.
Who do you think would be the first to leave?
The 80% slackers or the 20% go getters?

Once they get there I don't think following laws will be a big problem, I think there might be about 10 important ones.

The people who would leave are the self sufficient types that do things for themselves

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

I agree.

There was a series of book written about the colonization of Mars by Kin Stanley Robinson which I thought were pretty good hard sci-fi - Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars..

The first cohort was a carefully chosen mix of scientific personnel all of whom has to have the personal mix of go-getter and curiosity to make it work and want to be pioneers.

It's been a while since I've revisited that series, but if I remember right, things fell out as a mix of what people have been saying. Once the first group established proof of concept and viability, it was sort of a land rush between corporate interests and groups who wanted to get. the. eff. away. if you know what I mean. There was a frontier sort of feel going on, but Mars was big enough that if anyone wanted to disappear, they could. However, there was also quite a bit of friction because those corporate interests did bring in cheap wage labor, and Earth did attempt to impose control.

By the end, there was the inevitable war for control. But there was just no way to effectively wage it across space. The means of transit was just too inefficient to wage it effectively, and people could just disappear too well on the planet.

To refer to the thread about China v. the US, the was just no effective force projection.

edit on 14-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Rapture or not, a mass exodus is in the works. They're already signing colonists up for Mars. If all the Elite go to Mars, then America will collapse under the anarchy of lawlessness. There is disorder in America today, but it hasnt reached total lawlessness yet.

If there was a mass exodus of freedom seekers, then America would slip into total Facist lockdown or foreign military occupation. This is the same model I hold for the rapture.

Or, America could be ruled by proxy like in the movie "Elysium". They wont leave without first instituting a control system.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Snarl

And I'm using that thinking to taper my mouth off. I am dangerously close to a T&C violation. If the people posting in the thread want to get back to what the OP was talking about maybe I'll reenter, but apparently the consensus has become, that just because it is in the Predictions and Prophecies forum, you can talk about whatever crazy thing you think will happen in the future. Even though this thread would more clearly fall in the "Predictions" category of these forums as opposed to the "Prophecies". Personally, we could have avoided this who spiel if the OP had just put this thread in a more appropriate forum, but to each their own.

I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I saw the thread as an invitation to brainstorm.

For example, what would happen if we lost a significant portion of the population through plague? That is also possible, and indeed is more probable at this point than any of the other scenarios we've looked at. Right now, some of the Chinese bird flu strains are showing roughly 1/3 mortality and tend to kill young, healthy people (i.e. exactly the ones you need in youy work force and tax base).

Imagine if a widespread flu epidemic killed even just a fourth of young, healthy adults in this country at all levels.

Would the US hold together?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by ChefSlug

Christian Fundies would seize any opportunity to eliminate the US Constitution and create a Theocracy.
As long as I draw breath, I'll be on the other side of that deal.

Pretty stupid premise since christian fundamentalists created the concept of limited government and the political freedoms that you now hold dear. Moreover a man-made theocracy is antithetical to basic christian doctrine. Any christian who actually has read their Bible would recognize such a construct as the anti-christ regime.

There will be a theocracy but it will be run by God himself when he appears in great glory. Not by some charlatan pretending to be god on earth. However you will gladly worship the latter when the time comes. I guarantee it.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
OP Question: would america collapse if under the weight of a mass exodus?
YES, WITNESS as example: DETROIT Michigan.
However Im sure it will be quickly repopulated by Bangledeshian visa/greencard holders.

edit on 21-1-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join