It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stepping waay outta my comfort zone today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Awesome! Good for you. My father was a machinist, as are all my brothers. As the only girl, I went to college instead, because back in the day, being a machinist was a dangerous and dirty job. Getting cut, and getting metal chips in the eyes were common issues back in the day. My father's car always smelled of oil and had metal chips embedded in the seats. LOL. I know y'all are thinking, why didn't he use eye protection. Truthfully, in the 60s and 70s, they didn't think about it much.

These days, the machines are safer and less messy, so although men typically are drawn to this field, either sex can do it easily, if you are detail oriented and can follow directions.

However, as others have pointed out, there is still a potential to get hurt, or cut...badly. Safety is number one. If those machines can cut metal, they'll cut through you like a hot knife through butter. Do everything exactly as you are told, and stay focused.

Best of luck to you!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Just sounds like life to me. Good luck. It could be interesting to see things from a different POV.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There is nothing hotter than a woman who can wear steel toe capped worky boots and make it look so... effortless.

Let us know how it went!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I just remembered, be carefull, this is how "Flash Dance" started.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hey congratz on your new job. Never worked a machine shop. My mom worked in one as the secretary or whatever. Nothing for you to be scared about. The guys will have to learn new language though so they are way more scared then you are. Jobs like that are almost always 100% male. Not that a female cant do it just they don't seem to want the job lol. You are right jobs are out there if people want to leave their comfort zone. If I go very long without work I don't care what your business does as long as its legal I will start walking down main street and step in every door. I got a job in about 30 minutes one day. Anyhow keep that chin up you have no reason to be scared.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ieatbrains

To use an over-used phrase....YOU GO, GIRL!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting out of your comfort zone....and best wishes for success!!!!!

When I was very young, not too long after highs school, I was in the Drafting Technology program at the Community College....back when women were rarely seen.
I let the Machine Tools class get the better of me and ending up quitting....and settling for a clerical job for the next xxx years.
Who knows what would have happened had I had the guts to get out of MY comfort zone

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thanks again everyone for the encouragement! It wasn't bad at all!! There were more women than I thought and everyone was so nice and helpful! Yeah ya get dirty but so what, I like computers and robots and that's what those machines are..pretty cool but as posted earlier I could see that after awhile it could get boring. Its a new experience, new environment that keeps you on your toes, but not horrible or nearly as scary as I worked my brain into thinking. I reccomend to anyone to step out and try something a little different, I'm glad I did..it really makes you feel good about yourself. The guy who was training me today said he's had many people quit after only a few hours.

This girl is way tougher than that

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It definitely beats worrying about a job also!! I feel my self worth slowly trickling back lol

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

ieatbrains

This girl is way tougher than that

Tough times dont last. Tough people do.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I would love to get out of dead end retail and find a job like that but all of the machine shop jobs I see require CNC certifications and 5 years experience. I'm glad to hear you got in. Learn the skill, and you can make good money as a valuable high skills employee.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Congratulations on your new job! How wonderful for you! HUGS!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

ieatbrains
It definitely beats worrying about a job also!! I feel my self worth slowly trickling back lol

I've been making furniture for 30 years old school,resisting the inevitable.

It's so good to young blood coming through, that self worth becomes a passion with time.

Cody

edit on 14/1/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

After reading your post, I became very happy and can't get the smile off my face. This tells me you are going to do very well indeed. I work in an office but am a DIYer and a tinkerer. So your new job sounds wonderful to me. I will have to keep that in mind if I ever find myself out of a job again.

Best of luck and blessings in your new job

edit on 14-1-2014 by yesterdaysreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Yep I think I'm gonna make it. I always thought this kind of thing required training but when they interviewed me I told them I'm willing to learn if they are willing to teach.
You guys have no idea how good your advice and encouragement made me feel..really gave me that boost in confidence I needed.
Big hugs to all of you!

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
***"I meant required a degree****

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Well done our kid

The worst is over so enjoy

As someone has already said, once you have the skill it's yours for life

On a side note always remember

your job of work feeds you, clothes you and pays your rent

But it does not define who you are.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Dang! lucky you! ive always wanted to work at a machine shop!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

So happy you stepped out of your box and took a leap of Faith! You will do well at this new job and i hope you learn to love it and grow with it!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Good for you! Once upon a time all I knew was how to be a 44 Bravo and how to throw trash! I limited myself for far too long thinking I didn't know anything else nor could I learn anything else. I needed a job with insurance because I had a baby on the way so I stopped what I was doing and started at an amazing factory with great benefits. After so long I was kind of thrown into a Continuous Improvement job. I had no idea what that entailed. After 3 years I am head of Continuous Improvement and Lean Manufacturing. I have saved the company hundreds of thousands of dollars because of my ability to think out side of the box and my strong passion for cleanliness and sustainability. That is the army stuck in me though. I am always glad to see that somebody stepped out of their comfort zone and started something great with their lives. I wish I would not have limited myself so much and listened to other people for so long. I truly think I would have done far more had I not listened. I have no complaints though God dealt me a great hand in life and I'll continue this game until I am dead! Good luck to you las!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You were hired for a machine shop without having prior CNC experience?
Do you know how to run manual vertical mills, and lathes?

If not, then you were hired because of affirmative action.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join