It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stepping waay outta my comfort zone today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Today I start a new job, I lost mine back in October and was starting to feel hopeless. All of the work I had been looking for were office related, apparently around here the line is a mile long for jobs like these. I am not one to sit around without a job so last week I applied at a machine shop that is very close to home (3miles) not really thinking I would get it..surprise I did, and it pays way above min wage..way above the jobs I went to college for. Today I will be learning to run a CNC machine..I have never done anything like this before..I am the only new person, who happens to be a girl in a shop of mostly men..but I'm gonna give it my best shot (even though I am terrified) There are jobs out there..but you just might have to go from a clean job to a dirty one..anything is better than sitting at home on unemployment..it has to be....I hope...

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Nice one, well done.

Testing yourself and stretching the limits is always good for the mind and well being.

Good on ya! cheers!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This is awesome, congrats to you on your new job! It can be really intimidating starting a new job doing something brand new that you're unfamiliar with, and even more intimating being the 'new person' and a female with a group of men. Just remember to breathe and stay positive! Remember that everyone starts somewhere. I'm sure you'll fall into the flow of things in no time and kick butt

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ieatbrains

Well done girl

don't get to stressed

just remember everyone who works there had a first day

And they probably felt a bit nervous too

Again nice one for getting out there and finding an income

Too many people just sit on their oversized backsides waiting for work to find them.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Thank you so much everyone!! Your encouragement is very appreciated!!! And yeah, I think too many people just sit and wait for the easy way out, sometimes ya gotta just suck it up and get it done lol
I just can't wait to get today over

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Congratulations! First day on the job means a great new opportunity with no commute to speak of. Wishing you tons of success in this new adventure. It would be so much out of my comfort zone too. Keep us posted on how it went.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

I wish you every success in your endeavour!

I would like to offer, if I may, some handy words of advice regarding the use of machinery in the workplace.

1) The only important part of the safety briefing for any piece of machinery, is all of it. Every word. Burn it into your brain. Follow its guidance to the letter. Its safer that way.

2) Do not be afraid to make errors, because you learn more from making them. The only exception to that would be with regard to the point I made above. You can make any error you want, but not where the safety procedure is concerned. Remember, work going wrong, raw materials being lost, thats all by the by. Loosing a hand however, has drawbacks which extend well beyond the workplace.

3) Enjoy it!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Hey...congrats! I know you are nervous but like another poster has said... remember everyone there had a first day too! Well done, way to grab the bull by the horns! I'm sure you will do just fine. I'm over in Western NY and have several friends who work in machine shops working on CNC machines who love the industry. I wish you all the best.

Be sure to give us an update on your first day!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Honestly, don't let the idea that you're the only girl get to you.......

Men respect confidence. And like most animals, all humans can smell fear. Just be you, work hard, you'll do just fine

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well here I go..will let you all know how it goes!! This is kinda nice throwing the hair in a bun and putting on jeans and a hoodie and work boots vs stressing about looking nice. Dressing up is overrated

I got this!!

And definitely safety first!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

You GO! That's fantastic! Maybe I'll try it.
Last month I applied as a chimney inspector/sweep, but got no response. As per usual.

sigh

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Congratulations!
A bit of first hand advice.
BE CAREFUL! !!!
Those machines will take a digit if you dont pay attention.
Do NOT let people distract you.
And have great success!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Go you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always a pleasure to read a positive thread and this one put a smile on my face.

Guess why ? I'm off on a course to programme a CNC soon as well

This bad boy to be precise

Good luck on your new adventure

Cody

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Congratulations!!! I hope you have an excellent first day.
It can be like the first day of going to a new school when starting a new job. We kind of revert back to that age and become less sure of ourselves when entering such a different environment but it's usually not as big of a deal as our "nerves" lead us to believe beforehand.

Here's to hoping this holds true for you today!

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Kudo's to you! A new job is always a stressfull situation. A machine shop, a CNC machine. You'll be bored out your gord in two weeks time. But a job is a job. And dont feel bad if you do have a college degree, I worked with a damn good carpenter once..had a masters in American History, worked with a plumber with a PHD in horticulture, so dont be afraid to step out your comfort zone. Good luck, Peace OYM1262

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

ieatbrains
Today I start a new job, I lost mine back in October and was starting to feel hopeless. All of the work I had been looking for were office related, apparently around here the line is a mile long for jobs like these. I am not one to sit around without a job so last week I applied at a machine shop that is very close to home (3miles) not really thinking I would get it..surprise I did, and it pays way above min wage..way above the jobs I went to college for. Today I will be learning to run a CNC machine..I have never done anything like this before..I am the only new person, who happens to be a girl in a shop of mostly men..but I'm gonna give it my best shot (even though I am terrified) There are jobs out there..but you just might have to go from a clean job to a dirty one..anything is better than sitting at home on unemployment..it has to be....I hope...

That is very, very cool. You might find a hidden passion, who knows

But the fact that you find so much value in working....kudo's. And good luck.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I'm 17 and I really want to get a job, but I don't think it will work out because I am very shy. Nobody wants a shy person. I'm slowly trying to be more loud, but it's not helping.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Great good for you. Now you can wear jeans to work without getting written up. Congrats.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

You don't have to be loud to be assertive. You're very young. Confidence building takes time. Find an activity at school that you like. Build on that experience a little at a time. Pretty soon your confidence will expand then you can add more skill building experiences. Oh and no boss wants a loud mouth either so that's one skill you've already got under your belt. Mickey D' s is a good place to start for work experience and will help build confidence. You have quite a journey ahead of you. Enjoy it and always respect yourself in any situation. Know that you have value and others will take your lead.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Casualboy100
I'm 17 and I really want to get a job, but I don't think it will work out because I am very shy. Nobody wants a shy person. I'm slowly trying to be more loud, but it's not helping.

I am also a very shy person, but every time I've been interviewed resulted in me getting a job.

Don't let your shyness hold you back, people that are hiring want people that will get the job done. Prove you can, and you will get the job.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join