It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Deeper Side of Fighting

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Ok in terms of your spiritual development that is one way to meditate but in relation to preparing for combat thee are others.

I know of one that can be difficult to master but it can help in increasing your tolerance of pain.

1. In meditation concentrate on your techniques.

2. Interlace your fingers and bend then against each other so as to cause pain.

3. Not enough to harm your hands but enough to register pain in your brain.

This helps in developing greater tolerance to pain by developing neural connections, it is relatively safe compared to other techniques

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Im an avid MMA fan because of the evolving philosophy of the sport and it's fighters... I don't watch or follow any other sport. Most of the personalities surrounding the sport, particularly the fighters, tend to be unusually well balanced humans.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lordaqua

It might seem that way at that level. But underneath is a much darker side of the sport.

Trust the UFC does a good job with marketing and everything.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Very interesting brother. I've always wondered how fighters feel about the questions you answered. I still think you're bloody mental though. Still, I can't help but respect that kind of courage. There's a fine line between madness and heroism. You confirmed that with your reflection on great fighters and the kind of pressure they're under. But as far as I'm concerned, if it's between two adults & it's consensual, then it's none of my business. That must also apply to competitive sports like fighting which I consider to be (in the words of Russell Brand) 'sanitized warfare'.

But each to their own. I do stranger things everyday I suppose, just in different disciplines to combat. And besides which, all human beings' behaviour is unorthodox in my experience. So people fighting each other is one thing which I suppose shouldn't surprise me at all, since we've done it for eons. But now I better understand the mentality behind your choice of intense self-exploration, and I wish you all the luck in the future. Because regardless of my personal predisposition towards violent sports, all sentient beings deserve peace and happiness in their lives, and all paths of honesty, courage, compassion and discipline will lead to that goal
And you certainly exhibit all of these traits. If all fighters had your attitude and wisdom the world would be a much better place for it.

Be well my crazy friend. Stay wise, strong and compassionate!

Namaste

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by lordaqua

It might seem that way at that level. But underneath is a much darker side of the sport.

Trust the UFC does a good job with marketing and everything.

Are you able to elaborate?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Fighters tend to be crazy.

Besides trauma to the frontal cortex, most fighters have very violent upbringings, abandonment issues, among other things.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Did you get the idea for this thread from The Joe Rogan Experience last week when he interviewed Scott Sigler? It's funny cause I was just listening to it on the way to work this morning and he pretty much said the same thing. I completely agree too, when a fighter loses a fight it isn't as though he just missed a couple free throws, he loses a part of himself in there. No other athletes train at that level and it can be devastating to go into battle and lose. It takes an even greater amount of psychological conditioning to overcome your doubts and get back in the gym. I can really respect the amount of courage it takes, it's always been my dream to fight profefessionaly but I can't get past my fear of losing. I have nothing but admiration for all those that have the courage to try.
edit on 15-1-2014 by rocktsar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rocktsar

I heard that episode i think, the guy whos studying fighters?

Not really i have been wanting to talk about martials arts in this fashion for a long time on ATS but i havent really been very outward about being a pro fighter. This is the first time in the years ive been hear to really bring it up.

I agree with what you say too, you really do lose a part of yourself, especially if your heart is in it. There are a lot of fighters who breeze through loses but their heart isnt in it.

edit on 15-1-2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Yeah. Well you're absolutely right. You have the right mindset to be a great fighter.

Second.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Yes and in that respect a good symbol is Mohamed Ali, not that he was crazy while he was fighting.

I guess the next logical questions is why do you do it?

"Crazy" is thinking you can change a street light from green to red at will and driving that way.

"Crazy" is getting into a car a driving it when one is to drunk to pay attention as to if the light is red.

"Crazy" is forgetting how to go to the bathroom.

"Crazy" is not taking into consideration that Ancient Warriors did not use Steroids.

The technique I offered is Ancient Japanese.

As in ever been to a "Lair"

edit on 15-1-2014 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Bushido, Northern and/or Mountain Shaolin, Ancient Ninjutsu as well as Ancient Nagual methodology, Hindu medical techniques (pressure points), and also Boxing.

Any thoughts?

edit on 16-1-2014 by Kashai because: Added and Modifed content

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well written OP. The look in GSP's eyes kinda broke my heart. Like he had a lot going through his mind.

Something very beautiful in being brave and able to deafened yourself. Feel the same about spirituality. I don't want to call anyone's name for protection. I want to stand on my own.

Took Kempo for a few months a long time ago. Being a teen and not really committing to much I dropped out.

One night I was out with a friend. This girl was a wild one. I'm also sure she had some jealousy issues towards me.
Infront of everyone she runs from behind me and jumps ontop of my back. She is at least thirty pounds heavier then me.

Without one thought going through my mind. I flipped her straight over being gentle at the same time so her back didn't smack the ground.
The look in her eyes lol. She never tried anything again.

It was kind of shocking to me that something I had barely worked on came so naturally when I needed it.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
How about just accessing the universe by demanding it be so ??

You can access moments of clarity and focus that go beyond any experience in the gym.

You can take things to a fight you did not previously realize existed.

You can realize that the challenge IN the gym is a lot of distraction, that takes you away from much tougher battles.

And, you can then go back to the gym and become far crazier than any of you people believe, but in a way that the cage-fighter is secretly searching for, but will never attain.

I walk into these gyms, and everyone can FEEL the power emanating... because I have won battles with myself that were far more insane than the physical and mental everyone believes they should put all the attention too.

For sure, the gym is great, being fit, strong , tough as hell, lifting incredible weights opens many of the conduits needed... but then just like a religion it then needs to be seen as just that , a conduit that has allowed you to take on something WAY tougher, and yet.. easier , a battle that has meaning, to destroy the REAL enemy !!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join