It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Utopia" Forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
A couple of ideas have been tossed around over the last few days that have prompted this request. One of them was Beezzer's idea of a solutions based "Think Tank" forum, and the other was Sceptic Overlord's idea of "ATS Teams".

I think we should combine the 2 and start a Utopian forum. Basically we would form teams to tackle some of the world's most pressing issues like poverty, hunger, war, and intolerance. We could still keep the competitive element S.O. spoke of because one person's idea of the perfect society might be drastically different from someone else's.

The reason I'm suggesting such a forum is because I like the idea of people with different ideologies coming together to solve problems we are all faced with regardless of where we come from or what we believe. No one wants to keep watching people die over resources, class separation, and religious beliefs. So why don't we just put our differences aside and hash out some new models for people to consider?

I'm sure many of you won't like the title of the forum due to the stigma attached to the word 'Utopia" (I'm open to other suggestions btw), but I've come to embrace the term. There are many different approaches one could take in coming up with a new model, but such an endeavor would be nearly impossible for one person to take on all by his or herself.

Well the rain just stopped, so I'm going to go back to work now. But I look forward to reading your responses from my phone throughout the day, and I'll jump back into the discussion as soon as I can. Good day!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Firstly, I apologise as I cannot star or flag (early member) but I absolutely agree. I definitely think we need a "utopia" forum.

Although personally, I don’t think a utopian society can exist (future thread), I don’t see the harm in uniting for a better cause..

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

EsotericGod
Firstly, I apologise as I cannot star or flag (early member) but I absolutely agree. I definitely think we need a "utopia" forum.

Although personally, I don’t think a utopian society can exist (future thread), I don’t see the harm in uniting for a better cause..

Welcome to ATS EsotericGod, and say goodbye to whatever's left of your social life!

I don't really think its possible either, but then again you never know. I just think that given the shape our world is in right now, it only makes sense to have plans B , C, D, E, F, G, H........ ready to go at a moment's notice. That or we can just wait and see whatever plan the government has in store for us in a SHTF scenario.

Then again, I believe that maybe, just maybe... one of these threads could contain a blend of ideas articulated with just the right touch of ATS magic to inspire a worldwide movement.

One thing I refuse to accept is the idea that its going take an all out collapse or some major catastrophe to finally light a big enough fire under people's butts to actually get something done. I believe in the power of ideas, good ones and bad ones change the world every day. But I know in my heart that the blend of minds we have on this site are capable of great ones.

edit on 10-1-2014 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Bone75
A couple of ideas have been tossed around over the last few days that have prompted this request. One of them was Beezzer's idea of a solutions based "Think Tank" forum, and the other was Sceptic Overlord's idea of "ATS Teams".

zazzafrazz created History Forum proposal.
posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 14:25
Link for it www.abovetopsecret.com...

Bone75
I think we should combine the 2 and start a Utopian forum.

**warning** Insurgency detected

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I am not keen on the idea but your post brings about the obvious point of this -- the posters of ATS are yearning for something else. Something new. Something where posters can post discussion pieces above the fray of the norm.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

ownbestenemy
I am not keen on the idea but your post brings about the obvious point of this -- the posters of ATS are yearning for something else. Something new. Something where posters can post discussion pieces above the fray of the norm.

In academia they call that the Ivory Tower. Do we want those on ATS?

It may turn out that creating new forums is not the best direction to go... but deleting useless forums could be a more productive route.

edit on 1/11/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: add emoticons dammit!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

SayonaraJupiter
In academia they call that the Ivory Tower. Do we want those on ATS?

It may turn out that creating new forums is not the best direction to go... but deleting useless forums could be a more productive route.

edit on 1/11/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: add emoticons dammit!

Agreed it is a balance for the creators of the site. For instance, there is a degree of what you mentioned in terms of "ivory towers". Not all can see every forum. Some have access, through systems in place, to forums that are only for a selected few.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

I presented my alternative here for anyone who is interested.

I disagreed with both of the previous ideas and as yours is just an amalgamation I will have to disagree again. My thread would explain why.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Bone75
I'm sure many of you won't like the title of the forum due to the stigma attached to the word 'Utopia" (I'm open to other suggestions btw), but I've come to embrace the term.

I'm one of them. When I hear "Utopia", the first thing that pops into my mind is "New World Order" or "Brave New World" or the likes. The term has too often been used as an euphemism for nasty stuff, so I guess it has been sullied for me. Personally, I'd prefer something more neutral, with no stigma attached, but that's just me.

I like the general idea, though.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

I like the name, and Beezzer's Think Tank forum attracted me to the hope that the very good minds here could come up with some solutions to some problems, and then pass those on to people who can actually make a difference. The ATS Think Tank seems to have been moved to the ever-shifting dustbin of history, but Utopia combines the best of all worlds. To me it's not a negative term, but all language nowadays has taken on several meanings - the 21st Century Tower of Babel may be rapidly changing tech-based cultures changing the meaning of words on a daily basis.

edit on 11-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

top topics

join