It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This pill could give your brain the learning powers of a 7-year-old

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
A very short article on taking a certain type chemical in pill form (valproic acid) that increases retention and learning abilities in adults.. If this is carried out and proven to be effective without side effects I can think of all kinds of things the pill would come in handy for. Going to a foreign country and want to cram for conversational language skills; pop a pill and watch a video a few times and "poof" you learn and retain ! Study for a test pop a pill and study....?

Most/many pills, the more you take the less effect they have, especially with psychotropic drugs over time... So you have to wonder if this was added to a persons daily intake if the effects would go away or would you become a human sponge of learning...? If No pills, what happens to the established learning pathways when under the influence.. Do they remain ? Would there be withdrawal symptoms if taking the pill after a time and then stopping the intake?

I still remember many things from my childhood so I can only assume once learned under the influence of the pills retention would be the same as a normal process even though the pills were not taken ? Many questions; but still intriguing.

theweek.com...

It's a fascinating development, and one that could theoretically help adults acquire new skills and talents at a later stage in their lives. Of course, the side effects — if any — will still need to be studied closely, particularly on a cellular level. "I should caution that critical periods [of development] have evolved for a reason," says Hensch, "and it is a process that one probably would not want to tamper with carelessly."

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

727Sky
A very short article on taking a certain type chemical in pill form (valproic acid) that increases retention and learning abilities in adults.. If this is carried out and proven to be effective without side effects I can think of all kinds of things the pill would come in handy for. Going to a foreign country and want to cram for conversational language skills; pop a pill and watch a video a few times and "poof" you learn and retain ! Study for a test pop a pill and study....?

Most/many pills, the more you take the less effect they have, especially with psychotropic drugs over time... So you have to wonder if this was added to a persons daily intake if the effects would go away or would you become a human sponge of learning...? If No pills, what happens to the established learning pathways when under the influence.. Do they remain ? Would there be withdrawal symptoms if taking the pill after a time and then stopping the intake?

I still remember many things from my childhood so I can only assume once learned under the influence of the pills retention would be the same as a normal process even though the pills were not taken ? Many questions; but still intriguing.

theweek.com...

It's a fascinating development, and one that could theoretically help adults acquire new skills and talents at a later stage in their lives. Of course, the side effects — if any — will still need to be studied closely, particularly on a cellular level. "I should caution that critical periods [of development] have evolved for a reason," says Hensch, "and it is a process that one probably would not want to tamper with carelessly."

But do I also need to worry about a 4 hour erection too... I so hope so....

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

All good questions. I have no answers for any of them.
I think that we might be able to get to the point of childlike learning if we attained the right mindset. All natural, no drugs or anything to get too tolerant with. Only, I have no idea how you'd do that. Perhaps a type of focus. You'd have to strip a lot of yourself away to reach that point. Most 7yo kids are still fairly blank slates, filling in the blanks of everything that their lives will be in the future. All their likes and dislikes, in almost every facet of life stems from around that age. One might be able to almost completely rewrite themselves. What an amazing concept.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I got kicked out of 2 schools at age 7.

I much prefer my brain now.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I think I would prefer a natural approach. Trying different methods, activities, meditation, and whatever else to help strengthen the brain.

It's known if you take drugs like an SSRI (anti-depressant), then your brain won't produce as much seretonin after taking it. Since the drug gives your brain extra seratonin, the brain doesn't need to produce it anymore, or produces less.

Then again, that is probably fixed in the long run, and I wouldn't know if the drugs have any lasting effects (postive or negative).

But yeah, if you're into these kinds of things, check out Joe Rogans site (on nortriptilyne i think it was). I think he's marketing some drugs like this.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Cows11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Cows11
reply to post by 727Sky

I think I would prefer a natural approach. Trying different methods, activities, meditation, and whatever else to help strengthen the brain.

It's known if you take drugs like an SSRI (anti-depressant), then your brain won't produce as much seretonin after taking it. Since the drug gives your brain extra seratonin, the brain doesn't need to produce it anymore, or produces less.

Then again, that is probably fixed in the long run, and I wouldn't know if the drugs have any lasting effects (postive or negative).

But yeah, if you're into these kinds of things, check out Joe Rogans site (on nortriptilyne i think it was). I think he's marketing some drugs like this.

Thanks for the post but to be honest I don't even take vitamins (rarely) much less any kind of drug; I just got to thinking about all the possibilities something like this might produce.

In some research lab someplace in the world they will come up with something like this one day that might open all kinds of doors to those who are mentally challenged or just normal folk who would like to learn something quicker... It will happen just don't know when ?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
They made a movie about this (sorta) called Limitless. The plot goes
that this deadbeat writer meets an old friend who gives him this mysterious new pill that drastically increases his IQ to 4 digits immediately, if he stops taking the drug he crashes horribly. Pretty cool movie, don't wanna spoil it.

I used to take a lot of herbal supplements that seemed to help the brainpower until they pretty much made them illegal because a few people overdosed. I bet if this new pill works it will either be really expensive, by prescription only, or just unavailable to the proles.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

727Sky

Cows11
reply to post by 727Sky

Thanks for the post but to be honest I don't even take vitamins (rarely) much less any kind of drug; I just got to thinking about all the possibilities something like this might produce.

In some research lab someplace in the world they will come up with something like this one day that might open all kinds of doors to those who are mentally challenged or just normal folk who would like to learn something quicker... It will happen just don't know when ?

The possibilities are Limitless

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I took Valproic acid for about a year and a half. I almost lost my feet, I lost all my teeth, my liver partially calcified during that time.

I couldn't remember anything, it took out my short term memory so I could not form many long term memories. I knew a woman who lost her kidneys from that, I said knew.

That pill makes you dumb. If it wouldn't have been for the provigil, I would have been an idiot. At least another doctor gave me that so I could somewhat think. Don't believe that a pill that blocks some p450 enzymes is going to make you smarter, it will make you sicker. Mine was prescribed for epilepsy to dampen the brain. It is often used to treat psychiatric patients.

It did make me learn never to take medicines that suppress the liver function. That is it.

You want things that make you smarter, eat more fish and also utilize some of the foods that have nootropic properties. These boost brain function. Glutamates naturally in food help us make memories. Make sure you get proper magnesium in your diet and supplement some if you think it is necessary.
edit on 7-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dfens

Ruined my joke

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Interesting. This will probably disappear the same way Pemoline Magnesium did back in the 70's. Oh, it's still around, but you won't hear much about it. In the 70's though, it was tauted as the memory drug.

For most of us, learning HOW to use our brain, and proper diet, are the keys to "learning powers". The human mind is capable of amazing things, once we feed it what it needs, understand its potential, and learn how to tap into it.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Xtrozero

727Sky

theweek.com...

But do I also need to worry about a 4 hour erection too... I so hope so....

LMAO, I don't think you have to worry about it but your wife/girlfriend might. Perhaps that is the only side effect intended as a warning for those surrounding the patient, instead of the patient himself.

let me know when those pills give me the learning power of when I was 16, that was when I realized I knew everything.

edit on 7-1-2014 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
valproic acid is used to treat seizure disorders. Most of those drugs slow down mental processes. And Toperamide (not a valproic acid) has a trade name that rhymes with "Stupamax"--because you lose a lot of memory.
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Having read the article, the question should be asked, is what is the potential for those who suffer from dibiltating diseases such as Alzheimer's disease or dementia, or those who have suffered brain damage. If the potential is there to help those people out, then this could be a breakthrough that is needed and required to assist people, not just for people seeking to increase their brains potential.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I say put it in the food AND water in Washington D.C. Perhaps then we will have true reform and PROgress instead of CONgress.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
A single test on a single group on a single ability is really not much to go on at the moment.

Lets see more tests on more groups testing more abilities before making any wild claims.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It's "been tested" on a huge population over the years - they psychiatric patient. It "helps the other psychotropic meds work better. It's a less dangerous drug used instead of Lithium for manic/depressive people.

This is big pharma pushing a drug on the otherwise drugless population for a false claim.

Makes me think of cass sunstein wanting to put Lithium in the drinking water for the masses - oh, and contraceptive/sterilizing agents also.

Oh, I guess because of the prolification of birth control pills that aren't filtered out of the drinking water - we already have fertility problems -

Look into john holdren and cass sunstien and see what kind of mass drugging of the population through drinking water you find.......

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

If there is any kind of brain stimulation such as this we will never see it. Only the rich and powerful.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I have the same question as you. Last year when my father passed away I came home to take care of things and help my mom out that is when I became aware she is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer if this drug was effective as a treatment it would make a world of difference. I couldn't care less about making otherwise healthy people to where they didn't need to try to learn but if it could help my mom I would find the money to pay whatever the cost.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

From what I read from the original paper was that adults would not benefit from this. Due to their established neuron pathways, which are already hard wired in a sense. Children with learning disabilities would benefit from this because they still have neuronal plasticity. Anybody out there correct me if I'm wrong.

Kratos

<<   2 >>

join