It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretend for a Second that You Are Very Intelligent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

This song has been a favorite of mine for awhile, but recently the lyrics spurred a realization which i hope to depict in this thread: most people are DETERMINED to be mediocre..

R. Stevie Moore was faaar ahead of his time and had to wade through the 70s and 80s before anyone took much notice of his work, but the sincerity and devotion to his compositions made close to 400 albums and most of what i have heard is pure gold.. but how many people have heard of him? I LOVE this sort of artist and am always on the look-out for new music, but somehow i missed hearing about this guy until last year..

in the "information age" how is it possible that such figures (The Residents, Moondog, Nektar, Starcastle, Wesley Willis) seem to be forgotten by history? It's not the aesthetics or even talent of these people i am commenting on, so much as I am questioning why these people (who produced MANY albums and had quite a following!) have gotten so little coverage in terms of what is discussed and promoted in "music history" books and documentaries.

I'm not really saying that everyone must have their Mp3 player entirely full of R. Stevie Moore, before i'll be happy haha.. quite the contrary..!

I just think that DIVERSITY is really what we're lacking in the modern day, whereas in the 70s and 80s people at least considered independent productions (zines, albums, shows, stores, etc) to be a valid thing to pay attention to, whereas today most people (ESPECIALLY the youth..........) just want to be led by the hand by someone with AT LEAST the prestige of being on TV or the Radio..

This "type" of person who seems to be causing the major problems in the world today (mostly just in enabling the current stagnation to draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag), are the people playing the game "I'm just not talented/smart enough to do what I REALLY enjoy in life" so they settle for watching other people on TV partake in the what they enjoy, and not only that but they then try to preach to others on how this settling is really the best and in fact, the ONLY option.. (buzzwords include: safety, children, the elderly, etc)

But in the way i see it dear friends, this is very literally the only way to die during this life, and I feel fairly helpless in helping people remedy it (or help myself remedy this mindset when lethargy and anxiety strike..) but i DO know that it should absolutely be targeted and watched lest you allow most of your life to be lived by people on a television screen who, were you to meet most of these actors, you wouldn't want to even have dinner conversation with, let alone sacrifice valuable hours of your youth!

think about it: You're watching TV or movies for hours.. you blink, you breath, you scratch your ass.. but you have more in common with a corpse or a mountain in this mindset, than you do with even the "lesser" animals such as the mice who live in your walls.. They are indeed animals of habit and don't seem to have much depth but at least they live their own lives..

i am determined to make my life an example of defying this mindset.. I see it in many parts of my own family, many friends, many co-workers.. in fact the only place I DON'T find people constantly making excuses for why they're life isn't "the perfect life", is in the dark, cobwebbed back-allies of the arts, philosophies, and sciences.. and my GOOD friends.
I truly DO appreciate any feedback and information i find on ATS (and believe me, i have found many an interesting thread through the years, as i am sure you have as well) but I have come to the point where it's very hard to motivate myself to really invest in researching things (especially on the internet) and really BELIEVING them, because I often find 3 or 4 subtly different takes on the same idea, and there is no scale to balance in the information.

Of course most people just go to college and figure that is truly where one can find a "complete education" but as my girlfriend has found out (she attends the University of Washington majoring in Philosophy) it really provides no guarantee that you are going to be exposed to "the whole story".. or even have the information be presented in an objective way!! It's purely at the mercy of the teacher, and then it seems like we're not too different than the Hindus in relying on a "guru" to teach us the way instead of trusting our own eyes..

personally, i often avoid this dilemma by simply trusting my intuition and senses; investing in what seems correct... i try not to allow faith or belief to even come into it: i just ride the wave or train-of-thought until i come to other waves/trains. this is as un-scientific as you can get, i know, but in interest of only considering the results i must say that this method has led to more cohesive, and inspirational information and realizations, than i was ever able to achieve with a cynical, constantly analytical, rigid mindset...

My point is this: IT'S THE YEAR TWO-THOUSAND AND FOURTEEN AND LOOK AT WHERE WE ARE... go in the virtually ANY store and think about this (i DARE you):

how is this ANY different than how this store would have looked TEN years ago... even more years in most cases..

being a musician, i notice this especially when walking around Guitar Center.. as far as technology is concerned, that store is 95% the same as when i started going there when i was 16yrs old.. same guitars, same keyboards, same pedals, same PRICES..!? what is going on here??

i say it's lack of ambition.

i think most people who value their "freedom" relate "ambition" to that of the Yuppies (at least i did for a long time) so being UNambitious seemed to be the only way to insure that one "maintains freedom" but i came to realize that this was a joke.. if there's any conspiracy out there it is a conspiracy to control and regulate the rate of innovation and level of technology available to the masses and i think that the internet is a tool that could finally break it wide-open..

Imagine a world in which people finally LET GO of the idea that this current system is going to lead us into a "democratic utopia" because this seems to be no more than a carrot hung just out-of-reach of a donkey.. and we're the jackasses.
say people finally consider innovation to be a quality that is NECESSARY in all works, and not just something to be left to "the geniuses"..

Greatness and revolution seem to be concepts that most people try to inflate to be larger than themselves, but their true nature is quite simple: a yes or no question asking whether you are ready to break the mold of all the came before you.. to decide NOT to by hypnotized and entranced by those who have accomplished great things, but rather LEARN and INTEGRATE these great things so you may have a short-cut in coming to realizations that may have taken your favorite thinker DECADES longer to realize..

as ridiculous and crazy as things have become on the surface, i still have the intuitive notion that EVERY idea can't help but get more-evolved in each mind it passes through.. just as a stone is tumbled smooth by friction and erosion in a river, so too must the traditions, myths, arts, and sciences of our Earth become more refined and useful ^-^
edit on 7-1-2014 by HyphenSt1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I pretended for a whole minute, I got nothing.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Diversity is the problem 90 percent of worldwide music production is in the hands of 6 multinationals,in my country there are 274 commercial radio stations but 30 operators own the lot and 12 networks have 80 percent of the marketplace and they all play the same crap because the big recording companies wine them dine them and pee in their pockets the only station in my city,which my radio is permanently tuned to that plays a wide diversity of genres and new talent is the University of Queensland station,an independent station run by students.

Unique or rare talent these days has to have brilliant niche marketing multimedia management or it wont see the light of day.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You don't need to use big words in posts to make you look intelligent.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

R. Stevie Moore was faaar ahead of his time

I tried to listen to the words but this sound causes me actual pain. I gritted my teeth but I could not get through it it caused me actual physical discomfort.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think it is pretty hard to pretend you are intelligent. I see people try it all the time, and they really suck at it.

First you need to learn a bunch of big words so you can impress people. As long as you do not meet up with someone who knows what the words mean or what they actually apply to, you are on your way to success. Often the people who do know what your saying won't challenge you anyway so you can get away with it.

It's more fun being with ordinary people anyway, they are more interesting most times. Talking about guns, hunting, fishing, camping, and good sales at the stores never gets boring. Nobody worries if you say the same story again, chances are they didn't pay attention the first time around anyway.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
HURRRRR NATURAL SELECTION DURRRRRR

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

sorry but reading books tends to have the side-effect of a vocabulary of some kind. which words did you need help with pal..?

If you actually read what i said, i did admit i am as guilty as anyone of denying myself intelligence. Your fault is in seeing "intelligence" as a state-of-being, and hence interpret my thread as claiming myself to BE in such a state. But this is in your interpretation and not my words.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I don't really hear lyrics when I listen to music so....

I will have to say....

Do not care for that song one bit.

Also you are neglecting the intelligence of many people. Just because they don't come up with theoretical physics doesn't mean they aren't intelligent.

I knew a "retard" that could tile bathrooms in beautiful patterns.

This generation, the one I am a part of is stuck in a rut because of the mentality you have. Instead of trying to be great at what they are great at they instead inspire to be great at things others were great at. You are railing people for leading average lives and making average wages.

Not everybody is a rock star.

Someone might be an artist at getting up at 5 am everyday for 40 years to drive a trash truck while someone else might be an artist at being a mom.

You have a preconceived notion that you can become "great".

The only race there is in this life is the one against yourself.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

HyphenSt1

sorry but reading books tends to have the side-effect of a vocabulary of some kind. which words did you need help with pal..?

If you actually read what i said, i did admit i am as guilty as anyone of denying myself intelligence. Your fault is in seeing "intelligence" as a state-of-being, and hence interpret my thread as claiming myself to BE in such a state. But this is in your interpretation and not my words.

Amazing. You read books, therefore...

Seriously. Some people read Anne Rice and consider themselves theologians. I just saw some backwards ass "atheist" in another thread worshiping the image of Satan.

But hey, as long as you are leaning unto your own understanding.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I think it is pretty hard to pretend you are intelligent. I see people try it all the time, and they really suck at it.

practice makes perfect

I'm just saying that no one "is" intelligent.. they access intelligence. the "stupidest" person you can imagine, might wake up one day and have an absolutely profound revelation, and henceforth be known as "intelligent".. this is the problem with the word "is" (one of those little words..) is that one is labeled as blank and discouraged to grow and change..

not that this STOPS growth and change, it just takes the form of compulsively talking about

guns, hunting, fishing, camping, and good sales at the stores
because

Nobody worries if you say the same story again, chances are they didn't pay attention the first time around anyway

even if you don't see the point of my rant, you illustrated it perfectly

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Seriously. Some people read Anne Rice and consider themselves theologians

yes, and this is an example of people "looking to the experts" instead of making their own observations. If were to judge by what is POPULAR, then obviously Stephen King and Anne Rice are two of the greatest literary figures of our time.. right?

you and i both know this is not true, so why is it difficult to accept that one can access a mindset in which they can directly access knowledge and realization through direct experience..?

instead of concentrating on my writing method (sorry if I'm too wordy for ATS haha, buuut... sorry I'm not really looking to push a certain theology or impress anyone here.. I think my history on this site reflects that) perhaps the ideas themselves would be more interesting to talk about..?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

HyphenSt1

Look "pal"....you are obviously missing the point of my point. There is no need to pretend you are intelligent...if you become intelligent from reading intelligent books? Ergo, good on you for reading, I wish more people would become voracious readers as well. For the normal ATSer you can use simple words to get your point across.

I could have easily slipped down my reading glasses lower than the bridge of my nose, poured myself a cup of tea, and pretended to be Sherlock Holmes. But hey, I understood what you wrote...kind of laughed a little too on how you communicated your thoughts...you live in a weird world my friend.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

I don't really hear lyrics when I listen to music so....

I will have to say....

Do not care for that song one bit.

Okay, I really want to say this to those of you who are hearing this music an say "ewwww, this doesn't sound pretty"..

this is exactly my point..

what we see as the result of MOST "intelligent beings" accomplishes MUCH, but is NOT exactly "pretty"...

I'm not trying to promote Stevie Moore, so much as using the song itself (music AND lyrics) to demonstrate my point: limiting ones view of music/art/film or LIFE to only terms "good" and "bad" is to essentially miss a majority of what is out there.

Also you are neglecting the intelligence of many people. Just because they don't come up with theoretical physics doesn't mean they aren't intelligent.

I knew a "retard" that could tile bathrooms in beautiful patterns.

am I? you are neglecting the fact that i work with retarded and autistic people for a living and am quite a aware of the varieties of intelligence..
in fact, the "intelligence" of one person, varies from day-to-day, and the autistic guy i work with is also capable of very sincere art.. as well as very broken windows and black-eyes..

I don't believe that i ever outlined "intelligence" as requiring theoretical physics to be the result.. i merely suggest that innovation and progress should be kept in mind.. maybe then we wouldn't have companies selling MILLIONS of new cell-phones that are virtually identical to those that came the year before..

The only "improvement" in my view, would be for people to value their innate ability to learn and collaborate with the natural strengths of others, instead of always trying to be a "rock star".

This generation, the one I am a part of is stuck in a rut because of the mentality you have. Instead of trying to be great at what they are great at they instead inspire to be great at things others were great at. You are railing people for leading average lives and making average wages.

I'm just going to go with: you didn't read the whole thread.. this actually gave me a good laugh that i would be accused of this considering this was kinda like.. exactly what i was sorta speaking against?

The only race there is in this life is the one against yourself

it is here in which we agree, and if this wording results in the same revelation, then i say remember it always and make your life one which is conscious of this simple "rule", and only play by game-rules which you consciously make. don't allow others to dominate and demand to be seen as an "authority" in any way which they don't demonstrate to you first-hand.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

DeadSeraph

HyphenSt1

Amazing. You read books, therefore...

Seriously. Some people read Anne Rice and consider themselves theologians. I just saw some backwards ass "atheist" in another thread worshiping the image of Satan.

But hey, as long as you are leaning unto your own understanding.

Some people also read the Choose Your Own Adventure books, and when they choose the "Correct Choice" and beat the adventure, they consider themselves intelligent....well, that is what I thought long ago when I was a kid reading those books LOL

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

you are neglecting the fact that i work with retarded and autistic people for a living and am quite a aware of the varieties of intelligence..

So.....you work at Walmart?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Skywatcher2011

HyphenSt1

Look "pal"....you are obviously missing the point of my point. There is no need to pretend you are intelligent...if you become intelligent from reading intelligent books? Ergo, good on you for reading, I wish more people would become voracious readers as well. For the normal ATSer you can use simple words to get your point across.

I could have easily slipped down my reading glasses lower than the bridge of my nose, poured myself a cup of tea, and pretended to be Sherlock Holmes. But hey, I understood what you wrote...kind of laughed a little too on how you communicated your thoughts...you live in a weird world my friend.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

There is no need to pretend you are intelligent...if you become intelligent from reading intelligent books

I didn't say that reading itself results in intelligence... I'm just saying that my somewhat twisted vocabulary is the result of it, along with a compulsive need to illustrate things in detail (I mean.. literally compulsive) so I am sorry and disappointed if my writing-style comes off as pompous, but I think I'm here on this site for different reasons than many..

I'm not interested in "small-talk" in any capacity, definitely not on the internet, so I guess I kind of assume that those who aren't interested in seeing what I'm saying, aren't going to be convinced otherwise by simple language... or at least not simple-language that I'm capable of..

you live in a weird world my friend

I couldn't agree with you more there haha... That song I posted in my OP is a song that I got excited about the first time I heard it, and immediately told my music-friends about it, hailing it as a precursor to Primus and Les Claypool, etc. Now just contrast my reaction, with those in this thread, and you may indeed feel how weird my world is haha..
I seem to just naturally experience things a little bit differently than most (and have been told that "Asperger's syndrome" could explain it) but I'm not so satisfied with labeling myself something and excusing my short-comings. I'm always looking for ways to better communicate with people, but so far Music is the language with which I am most comfortable..

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
That was not music and actually made me feel ill

I wish I had of read your post first because after hearing that I would not be able to take anything you said seriously

top topics

<<   2 >>

join