It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA(!) Solar Flare Alert APP for the informed ATSer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I currently don't use a smartphone (I'm a dummy), but plan to get one sometime soon, maybe even this year.

With the current solar pole 'flip' and growing threat of X-class flares that may go into the Xteens, figured it would be great to have an APP for it! Or even better, an APP that's all-inclusive of all the current weather/earth changes phenomenon going on seemingly especially these days.

Would be neat to if there's a service for more basic phones like mine, where they send a text alert. Know of any?

For smartphones, I only came across this link from years ago:

www.wjla.com...

Don't you just hate it when you rush outside to go someplace, leaving your lead-lined umbrella behind, and are caught totally by surprise in a crackling magnetic storm of charged particles? Happens to everyone.

But it doesn't need to: With NASA's 3D Sun App, you'll never miss another sun flare or solar storm again.

The program sucks up data from NASA's twin STEREO spacecraft that keep the sun under a constant watch, front and back. The app, which is free, chirps when it has new alerts on solar activity. (They're written by a Ph.D. trained astrophysicist.) You can open it up and spin the sun around with your finger, zooming in to scrutinize objects like the Tree of Avatar, a "complex pillar of plasma in the sun's atmosphere," according to NASA. "Watch it explode!" the space agency advises.

3D Sun also churns out movies and galleries of huge solar explosions and recent aurora borealis light shows. Why look at the real sun when you have an interactive one in your pocket? Grab this now!

3dsun.org...

And for desktopers, there's a NASA helioviewer:

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

JHelioviewer is new visualization software that enables everyone, anywhere to explore the Sun. Developed as part of the ESA/NASA Helioviewer Project, it provides a desktop program that enables users to call up images of the Sun from the past 15 years. More than a million images from SOHO can already be accessed, and new images from NASA™ Solar Dynamics Observatory are being added every day.

Okay, okay.. the real question is, do you trust NASA anyways to tell it like it is during real threats?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
With the grid being so strained from the blizzards on the east coast, I wonder if this small X flare will be the last straw

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Get ready for the Aurora if you live up north.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Here are the Solar Droids You are looking for... err ok not droids but automatic updates ok?

top topics

join