It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My snowflake macro photography - Fractals, the golden ratio, and the universe at work!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Hi everyone!

I recently got into macro photography after seeing a russian photographer who made his own setup with a point-and-shoot camera and took beautiful photos of snowflakes.

I have been a professional photographer and videographer for over 10 years and this shows that you really never stop learning and picking up new techniques.

Here is one of my favourite shots and my blog post that outlines how I took the photos using a modified lens for my dslr, as well as all of my best shots with the setup!

Let me know what you think and feel free to share the beauty that is nature!

www.tylerknight.ca...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
nice work! What lens and camera? I have wanted to do macro shooting but I need to get a decent lens.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

If you click the link below the photo it takes you to the blog which outlines the process which I use to shoot!

I use a Panasonic GH3 with a modified Canon EF lens I got from a thrift store!

Thanks for your kind words

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerknight

Man,those are excellent photos.
What a great lens hack as well,I bet it would cost loads to by a macro of that quality.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thanks a ton!

Yea to be honest it is on par with some of the higher end macro lenses I've used! I was taking it apart to clean and came across a guy who found out it made the lens magnify like crazy!

The other reason this works really well too is that my camera has a micro 4/3 sensor which magnifies the image by 2x compared to a 35mm sensor camera.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Tylerknight

If you click the link below the photo it takes you to the blog which outlines the process which I use to shoot!

I use a Panasonic GH3 with a modified Canon EF lens I got from a thrift store!

Thanks for your kind words

Hmmm I have a crappy old plastic 28mm-90mm kit lens I might have to try that on...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Is it the EF 28-90 f4-5.6? It should work perfect with that lens.

To remove the front glass you need to peel the circular label that has the lens info on it. It's a black ring around the front. Once you peel that up there will be 3 screws under it which you need to remove and the lens will pop right out!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Beautiful work Tyler! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Tylerknight

Is it the EF 28-90 f4-5.6? It should work perfect with that lens.

To remove the front glass you need to peel the circular label that has the lens info on it. It's a black ring around the front. Once you peel that up there will be 3 screws under it which you need to remove and the lens will pop right out!

I am pretty sure it is. Came as a kit lens with either the Rebel or the first Rebel digital, I don't remember which but it is a rather cheap lens. I will take a look when I get home and maybe attempt this.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thanks! Always glad to share my work with people who appreciate it!

I will post new ones here when we get some more snow

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerknight

And it all starred with a big bang.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Holy macro!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I don't always get a chance to reply in this area but definitely appreciate what is shared. Nice work and thanks much as I'm a fan of snowflakes being displayed.

top topics

join