It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Avg Temp: 14.2° (What happens IF?)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Sure, it's just winter. Keep telling yourself that as you try and outrun the icy fingers of a polar vortex as it chases you through the halls of an NYC library! Your only hope is to burn books in an ancient fireplace. Oh, sure, your dad said he'd come and get you, but how's he going to get past that Russian freighter crewed by wild dogs?

Doooom is upon us and it's name is Jack Frost!
edit on 7-1-2014 by Feltrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

havok
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I am one of those people.

There is no need to cause panic.
How can we decide what is "normal" on this planet if we only have records for 100-150 years? Have you looked back 50 years or so? There have been great fluctuations in temperatures during all times of the year. We can't change the seasons or the weather. We must adapt and overcome. Which means being prepared beforehand. If you know winter is coming, you brace yourself accordingly.

It snowed in August once where I live in Ohio. That was decades ago.
Doesn't mean chemtrails caused an ice age.

I am too Havok. I had a great debate over the holidays with my daughters college roommate. I asked her what it meant to her that 100 year records were being broken and her reply was global warming without pause. when I asked her what caused the record 100 years ago she gave me the most awesome blank stare...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
lol, yeah it's cold, even here in South Florida, but I kind of feel this is a bit of media hype. Every time I hear or see the words "Polar Vortex" I also think "Day After Tomorrow".

As humans our memories are short when it comes to weather, if it hasn't happened in the past 4 years, we forget it happened.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Unfortunately, I think you may be right and it could be climate change that's causing it. If anyone has been watching the weather patterns on the eastern half of North America for the past year (as I have), you will have noticed that moisture-laden low pressure areas have been pumping regularly up out of the southwest, from areas stretching from the Gulf of Mexico, Texas or southern California and then blowing all to way NE to the maritimes. Every time a low of warm air pushes up, it blocks high pressure areas, cooler dry air from the north and west which wants to move east, causing it to stall and then build up. As a result, the jet stream also bulges toward the south and that is causing what we're seeing now.

The more often large lows of warm air push up from the southwest, the more likely it will be that high pressure areas build up in response, waiting to be able to move eastward. The more that gets built up, the windier it is when they get their chance

I've watched weather patterns for a long time now, especially those years spent miles offshore fishing on Lake Huron. You get a knack for watching weather patterns when your life depends on it.
This polar vortex we are experiencing is not a 'usual event', in my humble opinion, but it is a growing trend and one to watch. In summer, we get severe thunderstorms and in winter, we get blizzards.

Unsurprisingly, the extreme cold has brought out the climate change skeptics, who point to the freeze and the recent snowstorms and say, essentially, “nyah-nyah.” Now this is where I would usually point to the fact that the occasional cold snap—even one as extreme as much of the U.S. is experiencing now—doesn’t change the overall trajectory of a warming planet. Weather is what happens in the atmosphere day to day; climate is how the atmosphere behaves over long periods of time. Winters in the U.S. have been warming steadily over the past century, and even faster in recent decades, so it would take more than a few sub-zero days to cancel that out.

But not only does the cold spell not disprove climate change, it may well be that global warming could be making the occasional bout of extreme cold weather in the U.S. even more likely. Right now much of the U.S. is in the grip of a polar vortex, which is pretty much what it sounds like: a whirlwind of extremely cold, extremely dense air that forms near the poles. Usually the fast winds in the vortex—which can top 100 mph (161 k/h)—keep that cold air locked up in the Arctic. But when the winds weaken, the vortex can begin to wobble like a drunk on his fourth martini, and the Arctic air can escape and spill southward, bringing Arctic weather with it. In this case, nearly the entire polar vortex has tumbled southward, leading to record-breaking cold

Read more: Polar Vortex: Climate Change Could Be the Cause of Record Cold Weather | TIME.com science.time.com...

Your opinion might differ, and that's OK... but I'll stick to keeping a cautious eye on the weather maps.

edit on 7/1/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I talked not long ago to someone in toledo ohio. They said they are level 3, which means no one is allowed or should be out other than emergency vehicles or situations. It is cold but they are used to it. Just turn up the heat and make sure the snow blower is ready to roll soon. All will be fine... no worries here.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Alaska here. We had a cold snap not to long ago with ambient temps in the -15F range for a few weeks. After dealing with that and the associated wind chills, even 20F seems like a heatwave.

It's actually supposed to be really cold right now, instead it's in the mid 30's. Mother Nature is pulling a prank and switched weather on us!

Watch out for square tires when it gets really cold! Plug your car in when it gets below 20F!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

havok

Please, and the women crack me up. Some will cry about the freezing temperatures then blatantly "forget" to wear a hat for fear of messing up their precious hair. Good God people bundle up!

I had to laugh at this part as it is so true. I know I'm UK, and it's not that cold yet, but in the school playground every morning, you see some of the mums (The in crowd) shivering and moaning, and yakking together about how it's cold, and hope it passes quickly. In flimsy jackets and inappropriate clothing for winter time. And there's me, in my padded jacket, scarf, gloves and woolen hat, nice and snug and warm. They would rather freeze, in the name of vanity, than keep warm. Fools.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

However, albedo applies to the whole planet - not just part of 1.9% of the planet.

And snow cover across North America isn't actually that much greater than we often see in winter - and less than we've seen on occasions in recent years. It's also missing from most of Europe atm. So nowt to worry about

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

paytaplay
I talked not long ago to someone in toledo ohio. They said they are level 3, which means no one is allowed or should be out other than emergency vehicles or situations. It is cold but they are used to it. Just turn up the heat and make sure the snow blower is ready to roll soon. All will be fine... no worries here.

Not allowed out !?!?!?

When it's really cold, the roads aren't even icy anymore.
People should have emergency stuff in their vehicles in case it gets so cold that they shut down.
That's when the people with snowmobiles and tractors come out for the rescue.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
A friend of mine just moved from here to Oklahoma. I sent her this:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Meanwhile, any chance we can have a bit of the Polar Vortex over Britain please? We've not really had it since Dec 2010 and after all this mild wind and rain a spell of nice cold frosty weather would be most welcome

(we wouldn't want it quite as cold as you have it in the US - but being on an island to the east of a big warm ocean, that wouldn't happen anyway)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Keep watching where the jet stream goes as the 'bulge' moves east. That'll tell you if it hits there.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

WonderBoi
These things are Like friggin' clock work
Never waste an opportunity.

well at least you waited until page 2….oh wait…oops

predictable
edit on 1/7/2014 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Folk complain when they are not

Most people like their flights to take off on schedule

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well, on MSNBC (so it has to be true
) they used the term "POLAR VORTEX" in the story title. Pretty dang sure that is what they said in the movie, 'The Day After Tomorrow'.

Just sayin.

link   
reply to post by masqua

There are hints from the models that we could finally see winter later this month, or at least in Feb - this autumn has just gone on tooooooooo long!

link   
*** Attention ***

THis thread is : U.S. Avg Temp: 14.2° (What happens IF?)

Let's stick to it please.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join