It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Avg Temp: 14.2° (What happens IF?)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Here's a map of what the temps are around the U.S.
What would happen if this cold weather, blanketing the U.S., stayed around for another week or 2? Winter is JUST starting. So, what happens if this deep freeze continues? What happens if everything starts freezing? Another storm is on it's way: Here Comes Ion!!!! Look Out Midwest US and Ontario Canada!!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Winter is just starting? Hm, I always considered anything from October on to be "winter"?

If this continues people are going to buy up all the warm clothing from the stores, they'll be runs on space heaters (if not already).

Electric companies will make a killing, and people selling firewood will see their sales increase.

Watch out for freezing pipes everyone, open those cabinets beneath your sinks to allow warmer air to get under there!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Could be the beginning of the New Ice Age. Once the Albedo of the Northern Hemisphere land mass goes above a certain level it will be almost impossible to reverse.

I know people scoff at this and that's okay, I'm just saying "could", but how exactly do you think Ice Ages occur?

Everyone knows that for the past few million years Earth has usually been dominated by Ice Ages and warm intervals like we are in now have been in the tiny minority, right?

edit on 7-1-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I think you might find out about the additional one week. 10 days out, it looks like a shift.

Stay strong.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

MystikMushroom

Winter is just starting? Hm, I always considered anything from October on to be "winter"?

If this continues people are going to buy up all the warm clothing from the stores, they'll be runs on space heaters (if not already).

Electric companies will make a killing, and people selling firewood will see their sales increase.

Watch out for freezing pipes everyone, open those cabinets beneath your sinks to allow warmer air to get under there!

You can of course believe whatever you like however you are wrong. October would be Fall, And yeah I figure a couple weeks as just the start...

The astronomical winter (Northern Hemisphere) 2013 began on
Saturday, December 21 and ends on Wednesday, March 19 2014

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

What would happen? The same thing that happens every other winter.
Things get cold, things freeze and in the spring they thaw out.
No big deal. It's winter.

This is nothing. If you look back at the US in the late 1970's and early 1980's, the temperatures were much colder and lasted a week or sometimes two. Yes people got cold and complained. Such is the nature of living in a temperate climate with four seasons (save maybe Florida and California...lol).

No need to panic, there is no cause for alarm. It is winter and it gets cold. Everyone knows this, and we have had a run of a few good years lately. Just don't be stupid and think you can survive with a light jacket and tshirt.

Please, and the women crack me up. Some will cry about the freezing temperatures then blatantly "forget" to wear a hat for fear of messing up their precious hair. Good God people bundle up!

Drink lots of fluids and wear tons of layers. Wait, why am I telling you this? It's common sense.

....oh yeah some people misplaced their common sense.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is the coldest most places in North America have seen since 1981.

Plus a huge reversal from the "no winter" we had for the winter of 2011/12.

Yet people will come on here and try to influence in thinking everything is normal.

Not saying its doom, but going from a year that was the warmest ever (2012) to an extremely cold one seems unlikely due to randomness since climate events are connected and related, not like flipping coins.

I still say it has been the ramp up in chemtrails over the past 2 years or so, they realized in 2012 the subtle chemtrail program wasn't working so they ramped it up - now its working, but has it been overdone?

link   
What do you mean winter is just starting? I thought the northerners had been "in" winter for since at least November already?

Heck, in FL, our winter will die a swift death next month, and spring will come quick. Not too hopeful myself for a cool, extended winter down here by any means.

As to what would happen if it stayed like this for a week or 2, it depends. If the snow kept piling up, you'd be looking at a hell of a spring thaw (not that no one needs the moisture) If it just stayed cold & no snow, probably not much in the long run so long as the warm up started relatively on time for up north as per usual seasonal warming.

link   
reply to post by abeverage

Ha, well I suppose it is fall in the "strict sense" -- but we usually have a foot of snow on the ground by the middle of October.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

So, what happens if this deep freeze continues? What happens if everything starts freezing?

When I was growing up, we just called that normal for winter. Of course, these days, anything above or below the "accepted statistical norm" is an "event" we must fuss over, worry about and 'understand' as a problem.

Meh... Winter is cold, Summer is hot and we even get a couple weeks in between to enjoy the middle range.

It's nice to see weather returning to actual seasons again.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

MystikMushroom

Ha, well I suppose it is fall in the "strict sense" -- but we usually have a foot of snow on the ground by the middle of October.

Where, in Alaska? The high Sierra's?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
It's amusing to me to see people on Facebook freaking out over the cold. I have to stop though, pause and remember that a lot of the homes and buildings in these areas were designed or built for these types of temps.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't throw down extra money on more expensive insulation and warmer windows if I lived someplace where it only rarely reached freezing temps.

I bet Cabella's is loving this...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

In fact, this element has such a major implications on the climate that according to climatologists if the earth reflected just 3% more sunlight (33% albedo) it could plunge the planet into a climate similar to that of the last ice age.

Albedo and Ice Ages

link   

MystikMushroom

Riiiiight....and? Then you probably live pretty far North or in a mountainous area and have maybe 2 season or at the least a very brief spring and fall?

We have had snow on the ground albeit very little, but typically it does not stay. That said 40 years ago we had one of the coldest springs on record so I am not concerned...yet.

link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I am one of those people.

There is no need to cause panic.
How can we decide what is "normal" on this planet if we only have records for 100-150 years? Have you looked back 50 years or so? There have been great fluctuations in temperatures during all times of the year. We can't change the seasons or the weather. We must adapt and overcome. Which means being prepared beforehand. If you know winter is coming, you brace yourself accordingly.

It snowed in August once where I live in Ohio. That was decades ago.
Doesn't mean chemtrails caused an ice age.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
No need to worry people, didn't you see the forecast? The temps will rebound back to average on Thursday. This is a short lived burst of arctic air. Here in VA the temps on friday will be in the 50s

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I remember in fall a newscast reporting that this year will be one of the snowiest, then cold on record since decades....

Looks like the Farmer's Almanac forecasts true once again!

We will survive.

CdT

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Except if your stores are like my Target, they've already got their bikinis in and their winter clothing on clearance.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba - winter weather starts in October, ends around April.
This is completely normal up here for half the year. Nothing shuts down unless the power goes out.
-40, the kids still have to go to school. Same with major snowfalls.

Maybe some of the southern areas need to get a little more used to the snow, and cold?
Insulate housing, as well
Stores should stock some cold weather clothing, and people should learn to drive on ice.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join