It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's calling? Star Wars phone lets you talk to holograms!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

Email LeiaDisplaySystems, tell them that, they may give you a job!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

Cool stuf, I wanna try it

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

YES!

I knew this was coming but I couldn't get my head around how to project into the air. Water vapor? But but how? Wouldn't waving your hand through it disturb the uniformed behavior and cause 'ripples'?

Anyway, I know what industry I'm getting into. hehehe.

Awesome stuff. S&F

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
This is terrific. Anyone remember the 3D television that operated using lasers and a complex maze of tiny mirrors in order to create entire miniaturized three dimensional scenes in the confines of the television case? There was only a few prototypes made.

...Here we go:

www.popsci.com...

Holographic television. Since it was a private project, it's not exactly ready for commercial release yet. Not even sure if there are plans to get it to that point.

I had this exact idea in the 90s while experimenting with a certain kind of mushrooms on my pizza (entirely a scientific experiment with pizza of course). Never thought much more of it though. Funny to see someone actually ran with it.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Rainbowresidue

I can't believe this will come true in my lifetime, how amazing is that?

I made a prediction out of jest recently, where I wrote that this type of hologram phone will be available thanks to Apple end of 2014.

Well I got the company wrong, but boy was I close.

I'm really excited about this, thanks for sharing the great news.

I'd better be careful about making predictions out of fun.

S&F
edit on 7/1/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

This reminds me of a Spymob song:

Excerpt:

In 2040 I'll reminisce about the 20th century
Where we still wrote on pads of paper
Humans still did all the cleaning

In 2040 I'll be camping out with my grandsons
They'll have little gadgets to talk to their friends around the world
They'll see them, smell them, hear them, feel them
Communicate as if they're there

They'll see them, smell them, hear them, feel them
Communicate as if there

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Im 26 and even im starting to feel old. The 20th century feels like it was a diffrent age.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I get that it's cool. However am I the only one who gets that this is just a new form of Rear Projection TV? Maybe I am jaded, but this just does not impress me. Not trying to be a party pooper, I just want a real holodeck is all. LOL

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

skyblueworld

It is technology of a holographic display.
LeiaDisplay

No, it's not. It's not only not a hologram, it's not 3D either. It's a mist display, low res, poor contrast ratio, distorted by air currents.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Indigent

isn't this the same as the Tupac of some years ago?

If by "the same" you mean "another company that misuses the term hologram to foist off a semi-transparent 2D display", then yes.

In the case of Musion Eyeliner, which was used for Tupac, Gorillaz, etc that one is done with a Pepper's Ghost setup projected on textured Saran Wrap from a hidden DLP projector. Also neither holographic nor 3D.

The one in the OP is a mist projector, again a bone stock DLP on a mist background. And neither hologram nor 3D.

eta: at one time Musion had in their FAQ something on the order of "Although Eyeliner is not a hologram in a technical sense, we feel that creative marketing use of the term communicates our impression of how the system appears", but now they try to play it off as a holographic system.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

skyblueworld

Email LeiaDisplaySystems, tell them that, they may give you a job!

Junkheap is quite correct. Holograms are interference patterns reconstructed with a laser. This is a projector like you could buy at BestBuy projecting a 2D image onto mist.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
BTW, Fogscreen, Heliodisplay and Displair were there first, Samsung IIRC also had one but dropped it. I think the first fogger I saw was the Heliodisplay, it's "cute".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join