It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's calling? Star Wars phone lets you talk to holograms!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope"
Science fiction and reality come together again all thanks to a Polish company called Leia Display Systems.
(whenever I see the name Leia, I can't help but think of Return Of The Jedi, you men know why
)
The Polish company claims When Princess Leia appeared before Luke Skywalker as a hologram in the 1977 blockbuster Star Wars, it was very much a work of science fiction. But fast-forward four decades and the hologram telephone call -- which will allow callers to see a live 3D image of the other person on the line -- is set to become reality.

To make a 3D phone call, a person will sit in front of a specially adapted camera featuring two lenses and a microphone. The two images the lenses create are blended to form a 3D version and streamed via the internet to the person who is being called.

A hologram machine will receive the image and beam it using a laser projector on to a 'screen' of water vapour, which gives the image its third dimension.

The hologram image will speak, move and listen in real time. The company also believes its invention will be on the market within five years.

I can't wait 5 years, I want it now!!

Hopefully Chewbacca won't pull off my arms when I beat him at Monster Chess

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... " just another word to say, "now".

S&F for the find!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
doubles as a humidifier, neat

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

swanne

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away... " just another word to say, "now".

S&F for the find!

Actually just another way of saying...

All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again...
edit on 7-1-2014 by abeverage because: of eternal return

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Cool, but both Samsung and Apple are working on it for your cell phone. Both companies were talking about it last year. It seems that they were very close to having it but haven't heard anything since. I wonder if HTC will beat them too it as they currently have the #1 cell phone.

Sound like this is a home/office version though, which would give a whole new meaning to conference call.

reply to post by abeverage

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. King Solomon

edit on 1/7/2014 by pstrron because: add a little

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
now i need to wear pants to pick up the phone

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Sound like this is a home/office version though, which would give a whole new meaning to conference call.

And to the Adult Entertainment Industry

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

And to the Adult Entertainment Industry

Didn't think of that

Would that be pay for view?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I can't believe this will come true in my lifetime, how amazing is that?

I made a prediction out of jest recently, where I wrote that this type of hologram phone will be available thanks to Apple end of 2014.

Well I got the company wrong, but boy was I close.

I'm really excited about this, thanks for sharing the great news.

I'd better be careful about making predictions out of fun.

S&F
edit on 7/1/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
You will always have to look your best. It will be cool to prerecord messages where your outfit changes during the phone conversation to reflect your best style sense... Oh the shoes and apparel!

I did a fantasy thread on this back in 07, nanotechnology can lead us in so many fantastic directions. Here is the fun thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on am131amTue, 07 Jan 2014 09:09:26 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

1080p or fussy blue ghost, 1080p or fussy blue ghost, 1080p or... i think ill stick with the old video, less awkward to do the deed

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
No, not a hologram.

I grow weary of companies claiming their product produces a hologram when it does nothing of the sort.

This isn't new either.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is cool and all, but it seems like some new fangled projection screen. The projector is behind it shooting the image to it.
I was thinking it would pop up from some device such as your phone.
Anyone know the price tag on this piece of hi tech furniture?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

It is technology of a holographic display.
LeiaDisplay

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Im2keul

It's not on the market just yet.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

isn't this the same as the Tupac of some years ago?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Oh Pac, you've duped us once again. It turns out that disquieting hologram burning its way across Coachella and the entire internet wasn't an actual hologram at all: just a reflection using a 19th century magician's tricks.

Link

Rolling Stone reports the rapper was CGI. But at least it was good good, expensive CGI, "created by the Hollywood special effects studio Digital Domain, who have previously worked on films such as The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, TRON: Legacy and X-Men: First Class."

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

skyblueworld
reply to post by Junkheap

It is technology of a holographic display.
LeiaDisplay

No, it is not.

A hologram is the recreation of a light field created by recording the interference pattern of a laser beam reflected off of objects interfering with the reference laser beam. That, and only that, is a hologram.

I will not stand idly by while any organization or company claims something is a hologram when it is not.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This is terrific. Anyone remember the 3D television that operated using lasers and a complex maze of tiny mirrors in order to create entire miniaturized three dimensional scenes in the confines of the television case? There was only a few prototypes made.

...Here we go:

www.popsci.com...

Holographic television. Since it was a private project, it's not exactly ready for commercial release yet. Not even sure if there are plans to get it to that point.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Imagine what this could do for video games.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join