It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asthma: Altering diet may ease symptoms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I have heard it said and we now have scientific evidence. Diet, and processed foods, may explain the rise in asthma cases, and may also help in reducing symptoms.

The researchers argue the shift to processed foods may explain why more people are developing asthma.

Part of the problem may be that the bacteria living in the gut will change depending on diet. The change in bacteria populations could lead to problems.

Bacteria which can munch on soluble fibre, the type found in fruit and vegetables, flourished on the high-fibre diet and they in turn produced more short-chain fatty acids - a type of fat, which is absorbed into the blood.

The scientists said these fatty acids acted as signals to the immune system and resulted in the lungs being more resistant to irritation.

The opposite happened in low-fibre diets and the mice became more vulnerable to asthma.

Here is the article! Wish I had time to write more but alas I must leave now.
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 7-1-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Good post. The people over at Watercure.com believe that asthma is a symptom of dehydration, although severe cases may be much more. They claim to cure asthma attacks by putting a little salt on the tongue and drinking two glasses of water.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is relevant only if our bodies can tolerate the forms of bacteria. If we formed antigens against them than this will not work right. If our diet contains things that kill off these bacteria or make them overpopulated by killing the others that control their numbers, it could be a problem also.

This is very good information but there are always some things to consider about good information....the negative side effects that occur. Eating fruit moderately is good for most people, a lot better than fruit juices, but some people have problems with eating too much fruit. Too much fiber is not good for anyone, it can strip the minerals out of a person by various methods. Moderation is the clue.

I have had a craving for fruit lately and I think I have maxed out. I have been having burny butt for the last two days. That burny butt from too much vitamin C is almost as annoying at that guy named Bernie who starts threads on ATS once in a while. I need to start eating cooked fruit in pies and cakes, the vitamin C is denatured by cooking so it will stop that problem. It seems that right before it gets real cold, I get a craving for fruit.

Many of the symptoms of Asthma are from a lack of Molybdenum in the body. Sulfite causes some of these problems. Fruits often contain molybdenum as do seeds, it is a necessary element for seeds to start well. The trouble is that the sugars form acetyl aldehydes and these also need the molybdenum to detoxify so there is competition for the molybdenum in the fruit. A simple small mineral supplement containing this mineral can help many people who have asthmatic symptoms.

Fruit also contains some silicon which helps to regulate the flow of blood. proper flow of blood helps with things. Processed foods cause a lot of problems if eaten all the time.
edit on 7-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Onions are natural antihistamine in an emergency without an inhaler they can help unblock lungs just thought I would throw that out there...
edit on 7-1-2014 by abeverage because: asthma

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Milk and cheese products as well. Just common sense but our diets today do not reflect the optimal health benefits for anyone. Always wanted to live a full year of eating only the seasonal foods period.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thanks for this, very interesting as I have mild Asthma. We don't eat much processed food, although I did eat more as a kid when I developed it, but there is definitely work to be done in the fruit and veg department!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

WE have tons of wild garlic type onions locally, they are like weeds in our yard, I bet they would be helpful. Also eating local honey helps as well. Nature has all the remedies but we have grown so far from the truth it is a disconnect to say the least.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I was able to overcome intractable asthma by simply giving up peanut butter and peanut anything. I'm not at all sure of the connection, but the results were very good. I could just about feel the mucus receding in my body...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Many allergies are from cross reactions. Others are from allergies like that of peanuts or bananas putting our body into a defensive state. For some people peanuts are a deadly allergy while others have minor problems with consuming them. Some people can eat lots of peanuts with no problem. Everyone is different, being different than another person does not make you flawed. Some people treat people who have intollerances as if they are inferior, yet they do not look at what they themselves avoid eating saying their actions are normal. People do not need a doctor to try to figure out if they have a food intolerance or allergy. They don't need proof that they shouldn't eat something regularly. I can eat tomatoes about one meal a week but if I overdo it I have problems. That is a problem with the tomato, not with me. I don't totally avoid things either but I will never believe tomatoes are good for me on a daily basis. I also cannot usually eat bananas on the same day I eat potatoes, but for some reason, the way the potato is prepared makes a difference. I'm still trying to figure out why the difference. It is nice having puzzles to figure out. It will take me years of observation to decode this one because I hate the reaction I get if I screw up.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Fresh fruit gives me stomach cramps; always has.

I have always been chastised by my doctors for not eating fresh fruit. They didn't seem to believe I had such severe symptoms.

Just two years ago I mention it to a nurse that was treating me, and she told me fresh fruit contains an enzyme that some people are sensitive to. Cooking it neutralizes the enzyme.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
TOTALLY AGREE!

Suffered with moderate to severe asthma for years and "bought the program": nasal sprays, meds, breathing treatments, nebulizer with medications.
Most contained steroids...the day my hands shook and heart raced for 10 minutes after using a "maintainence inhaler" I said no more.

You do have to change your "mindset" as well if you've been taking asthma meds for a long time as I had been
PLUS the expense was staggering even with "insurance." That was 2 years ago.

Reserched extensively and tried to keep an open mind: I was terrified I would no be able to breathe and/or would have to give up being physical.Gave up red meat, dairy, wheat, and processed foods and literally went cold-turkey from the meds.Yes it was hard.

HOWEVER I now only take a Zyrtec daily for the "immediate allergy symptoms" (I live in the middle of nowhere and it's very "outside" here) and yes, allergies ARE not the same as asthma and I still keep an inhaler/epipen on hand because I am violently allergic to bee stings and scorpion ouchies.

Life changing...not easy...need to be "mindful" even today but I don't even see an ENT/Pulmonologist anymore and the difference again, is life changing!

The doctors just kept insisting "more was better" and it was killing me slowly.
edit on 7-1-2014 by irishchic because: can't spell today

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Aleister

Good post. The people over at Watercure.com believe that asthma is a symptom of dehydration, although severe cases may be much more. They claim to cure asthma attacks by putting a little salt on the tongue and drinking two glasses of water.

Well that is just pure crap. Asthma is not caused by dehydration.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Aleister

Then what is it caused by? Isn't it odd that "nobody" really knows.

A summary of water and salt curing asthma, from the site Watercure.com:

www.watercures.org...

Lack of proper hydration it one of the key causes of asthma. Once air enters our nose, it is divided and caused to twist and turn as it ends the body. The turbulence an inhalation encounters is part of moisturizing the air before it reaches the lungs. The air proceeds down the bronchioles. These are tubes that resemble an upside down tree. Attached to the end of the branches of the bronchioles are air sacs called alveoli. The air sacs are dependent on surface tension to work properly. In a state of dehydration, the air sacs signal to the bronchioles to stop the flow of air and continued dehydration. If dehydrated and with out the surface tension of the moisture on the surface of the alveoli, the lungs would collapse. The solution to allow the air sacs to send the open signal is rehydration.

And the folks at Watercure2.com once put up $50,000 to be paid to any child they couldn't "cure" of asthma. I don't know what became of that bet, haven't looked at the site in years until now, but here are some testimonials from the website:

watercure2.org...

One of many:

This letter is In appreciation for the information that you have presented concerning water dehydration and asthma. As you recall I have had adult onset asthma since I was in college and have had many bouts of anaphylaxis which were life threatening. Due to the information that you have provided I have been able to ameliorate a cure for my own asthma with water and salt intake. I have been asthma free approximately 1.5 years and have not had any reactions to the allergens of the past. The information has been most helpful In making me aware of when and how to drink water and take salt in order to hydrate myself and prevent any recurrence of asthma.

edit on 7-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

rickymouse
This is relevant only if our bodies can tolerate the forms of bacteria. If we formed antigens against them than this will not work right.

These bacteria live in every person's body, our immune system leaves them alone.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Aleister

OccamsRazor04

Aleister

The folks at Watercure2.com once put up $50,000 to be paid to any child they couldn't "cure" of asthma. I don't know what became of that bet, haven't looked at the site in years until now, but here are some testimonials from the website:

watercure2.org...

One of many:

This letter is In appreciation for the information that you have presented concerning water dehydration and asthma. As you recall I have had adult onset asthma since I was in college and have had many bouts of anaphylaxis which were life threatening. Due to the information that you have provided I have been able to ameliorate a cure for my own asthma with water and salt intake. I have been asthma free approximately 1.5 years and have not had any reactions to the allergens of the past. The information has been most helpful In making me aware of when and how to drink water and take salt in order to hydrate myself and prevent any recurrence of asthma.

I'd love to see that guarantee, if they took it down there's a reason .... because they can't do what they claim.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Those are good tools to have, but yes, they should be a tool when needed, not a crutch to keep living an unhealthy manner.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I don't know if they took it down or not, or if somebody "won" it. I know it was offered for several years the last time I looked, which was quite awhile ago. Watercure2 was set up by fans of the Iranian Doctor who ran watercure.com. , and they've expanded their front page since I looked last:

watercure2.org...

But a search there for the reward came up 404'ed, so I don't know what happened. Lots of good data though and, with something like asthma, their suggetions probably wouldn't hurt, so why not test it out. I don't have asthma, so I can't speak from first hand experience.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I was born with Asthma & have had it me whole life. I had many hospital
visits from when I was born until junior high school & then when I was
~30 yrs old. I had it off & on since then & just had the Albuteral Inhaler &
the Steroid Disc Inhaler in case needed.
I changed my diet a few years ago just for myself & not thinking about
Asthma. I cut out sugar (I do use honey in me tea), cut way back on carbs
as in no bread or pasta & etc, no processed food except cheese ( & maybe
a very small amt of something I cannot think of at the moment) & I eat
meat on the weekends & fresh steamed or grilled veggies through the week.

I cannot even remember the last time I had an attack or even used a bloody inhaler.
It's been well over 4 to 5 yrs maybe longer. I do have a problem being around
certain strong chemicals for any length of time as well as alot of mildew, however
even being in those situations I still haven't had to use the inhaler.

So maybe there is something to be said about the diet...especially processed crap!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Awesome I am so happy to hear that!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

If you get an overload of a certain bacteria, beneficial or not, the immune system can form a recorded antigen against it. There is no normal in the human microbial flora. Everyone has a different flora. These floras cause people to eat differently, what one person can tolerate, another can't. Part is because of our immune system but this directly relates to the colonies in and on us.

This is not a flaw. Some people can tollerate the worst of the bacteria and live symbiotically with them. Some people have Pneumonia living harmlessly in their noses while others have a severe reaction to them. C-diff lives in some people symbiotically also, it may never harm them. This is why they are having problems in the hospitals now with secondary infections of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

It is nothing to worry about, either we fight the bacteria or they join the populations in the gut. Other times the bacteria and fungi don't get along and they fight wars with each other.
edit on 7-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join