It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brilliant Circumzenithal arc caught on film today!

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I have posted numerous sun halo pictures over the years, and so I wanted to share my catch today with you!

I actually saw this amazing rainbow reflected in a car windshield on my way outside and confused (the weather wasn't suiting to a rainbow, and the angle odd), looked up. I was amazed to see the brightest arc ever. I ran in and grabbed my camera and managed to get a few pictures before it rapidly faded.

Here is the whole thing...faint halo around the sun, and then the 'upside down rainbow', or a circumzenithal arc, above it:

Here is a zoom in on it, and the colors saturated so you can see the other, faint arc under it:

And here is a better picture of the halo, with the contrast/brightness saturated to make it look cool
:

Here is some INFO on what it is and how it forms. It is NOT a sun halo, but rather, another part of the same phenomenon that happens at different angels/atmospheric conditions.

I caught this Circumhorizontal arc(also called a fire rainbow) last year. (same area, near my house)

Just when I think I have seen all there is to see, I get surprised! LOVE IT!

Remember to look UP!!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Circum... what?

I mean,CCCOOOOL!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful!!! I am forever looking up... so much so that my husband has quit asking what I am looking at.

You never know what you might miss! Just imagine how many people walked out of their homes, businesses, etc. today and missed this beautiful image you caught on camera. They missed one more breath taking moment in their lives they will never experience.

Thank you for sharing it with us! I posted a while back after spotting my first fire rainbow. It was amazing as well, and even though it was months ago, I am still in awe when I think about it.

Nature never ceases to be as beautiful as it is scary at times.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Um I would keep an eye open for earthquakes now. Those clouds in the last picture look just like the ones in china just before they had an earthquake.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

That last picture was from this past summer. I actually used it as part of a thread speculating on a possible tie-in with the atmospheric impact of pre-quake emissions, and possibly correlating it with these phenomenon.

So far, I have not been able to link anything. But I'm always paying attention!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I am a huge fan of Atmospheric Optics and have been for quite some time.

I remember noticing these when I was young and thinking that sun dogs were angels

I have a few decent sun dog and rainbow pics, but have never been lucky enough to capture any of the more exotic varieties.

Thank you for sharing these!
edit on 7-1-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed link tag

Here is a faint double:

edit on 7-1-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
For a split second I thought the title said circumcision.

LOL.

I was like "what kind of sick...oh....never the mind..."

Great pictures. Those are hard to catch on camera without there being really bright light in camera.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Really nice pictures, thank you for posting your original works

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Ah I see, then carry on.

second line

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Cool Cool West Coast!! Thanks for sharing. I too love when I get to see natures art. Consider it a gift & makes my day.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

If you were in an area of the world where the deep freeze is settled in, maybe this is engendered by ice crystals in the air. Very nice picture, fast reflexes too. thanks for sharing it with us.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I like the reflection on the hood! Cool shot. Thanks for sharing!!

top topics

join