It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The point?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by Mon1k3r

I'll poke my nose in if you don't mind.

The problem is currently universities hand out diplomas not to the most intelligent but to the wealthiest.

Not always but if you have enough money you can buy the diploma.

G.W.'s daddy!

The bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma. Education is floundering because it is seen by those who call the shots as not only unimportant, but a threat.

College was at one time a place where one would go to learn how to think about whatever they wanted. Now it's designed to teach people how to think about what someone else wants them to think about, in the way they would like them to think it.

It's a box factory.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Everything ultimately is subjective. We can never know anything other than from our our field of view. Maybe that's the "point", maybe it's all just about the gathering of information. To what end, again we can actually never know.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KBadger

I do agree Badger. This in particular but it also brings a question~

We spend all this time wondering and thinking what is the point when we should be living, loving and experiencing.
You can never know what the point is.

It it not a point that we should be "Living, Loving and Experiancing?", and still never know what the point is? Or is it just that?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Almost definitely, and this is also something that can be argued back and forth until the end of time, and probably a complete waste of it.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

KBadger
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Everything ultimately is subjective. We can never know anything other than from our our field of view. Maybe that's the "point", maybe it's all just about the gathering of information. To what end, again we can actually never know.

Yes, ultimately everything is subjective. Ultimately.

That doesn't mean that we can't see things from different vantage points in our minds. You can 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes,' or 'see the other side of the story.'

If the 'grass wasn't always greener on the other side,' would we look? Or would we just not try to see it?

Our imagination is the tool that we use to see in 3D. It is our creativity that is being crushed by this world, making everything two dimensional, or 'subjective', as you say.

Forget everything you think you know, let your eyes become those of a child, and see everything again for the very first time. If you see it differently, think it differently, and allow your imagination to rework the world as a child sees and thinks it.

Listen to the children, they have not learned to lie. They don't care about your skin or your bank account. They don't care what you do with your naughty bits or what your job is. They see reality.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Forget everything you think you know, let your eyes become those of a child, and see everything again for the very first time. If you see it differently, think it differently, and allow your imagination to rework the world as a child sees and thinks it.

Listen to the children, they have not learned to lie. They don't care about your skin or your bank account. They don't care what you do with your naughty bits or what your job is. They see reality.

Well stated!

I see to many adults that have lost touch with there inner child, who would rather limit themselves to a hardened and cruel adult reality. This is to say "You do grow up, but you never have to loose touch with your inner child".

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KBadger

Almost definitely, and this is also something that can be argued back and forth until the end of time, and probably a complete waste of it.

Nah, I would say otherwise. Everything is something, unless this something we are living and existing in is nothing, then why are we experiancing "nothing"?

To experiance the world, sometimes you have to leave logic behind, when the world is more illogical than most want to admit.

It's the greatest enigma of any of our lives, and time well spent as you can learn more about onself in these thoughts.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

What's the point? Speaking only for the human species, and not for the whole of existence, I'll venture a guess. Take it for what it's worth. The point is...to be happy. To live, love, and learn.

I just recently saw the movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". One of the key points in the film was an old wallet with an inscription that read:

“To see things thousands of miles away, things hidden behind walls and within rooms, things dangerous to come to, to draw closer, to see and be amazed and to feel, that is the purpose of life.”

It can be interpreted many ways, but I feel that the way I described it in the three words above - "live, love, learn" - is the most succinct and simple summary you will find.

Do those three things and you will be happy. Live life to the fullest, learn whenever it's possible, and love always. What else is there to do?

edit on 6-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Do those three things and you will be happy. Live life to the fullest, learn whenever it's possible, and love always. What else is there to do?

Well stated infinity!

Me and the Mrs, were going to see "The secret life of Walter Mitty" but the action hero in me wanted to see 47 Ronin.... I got my way and we both enjoyed the movie... Keanu wasn't bad and played a good role... Prolly because he didn't talk much....

Now, I have another movie I want to see! Thank you for the great quote and input~! I always enjoy your comments!

Best regards,

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

sulaw
Is there? To every action there is a reaction, to every cause an effect. Two statements that are grounded in truth but why? What's the point?

The point I think is perpetual momentum. Infinite energy
It does not have to make sense on an 'individual level' for all things to keep moving.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDualityExperience

Woah! And this is a point of perspective, I might have danced around but never thought of in this way. Awesome! Thank you for contributing!!!

link   

That movie quote describes three dimensional sight.

I think it is very misunderstood that we only really see in two dimensions. True three dimensional sight would be being able to see all things from the vantage point of all points in space at once. Our perception of depth, what we consider three dimensional is an illusion that our brain creates with size and horizon lines.

Thus, if we could truly see in a three dimensional way, we could always know what was on the other side of a wall, inside a room. And we could see everything in every frame of reference, from the molecular, atomic, and subatomic, to the galactic and beyond.

I think this is the way God would see, were I to imagine Him.

link   
The point is for DNA to continue, for life to reproduce and devour and encompass the whole of the universe, so that it will someday consciously look back on itself in the distant past, collapse the quantum wave function, and bootstrap itself into existence.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Mon1k3r

That movie quote describes three dimensional sight.

I think it is very misunderstood that we only really see in two dimensions. True three dimensional sight would be being able to see all things from the vantage point of all points in space at once. Our perception of depth, what we consider three dimensional is an illusion that our brain creates with size and horizon lines.

Thus, if we could truly see in a three dimensional way, we could always know what was on the other side of a wall, inside a room. And we could see everything in every frame of reference, from the molecular, atomic, and subatomic, to the galactic and beyond.

I think this is the way God would see, were I to imagine Him.

I think you're reading into it way too far. Watch the movie and you'll understand what the quote meant. You're overcomplicating it and making something beautiful into something grotesque and pointless.
edit on 6-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Devour and encompass the whole universe!!! That's as scary as your avatar! I feel like assimilation is futile!!! I love the perspective and appriate the thought provoking comment!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

sulaw
reply to post by TheDualityExperience

Woah! And this is a point of perspective, I might have danced around but never thought of in this way. Awesome! Thank you for contributing!!!

I will also contribute a quote i really enjoy. Albert Einstein seems to have the claim for this although i believe personally that no one can really ever own a quote.
"Nothing happens untill something moves"

Whilst the human species seems to enjoy taking simple ideas and making them complicated, a complicated idea can be made simple by the same methods.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

The Point! is a fable and the sixth album by American songwriter and musician Harry Nilsson about a boy named Oblio, the only round-headed person in the Pointed Village, where by law everyone and everything had to have a point. Wikipedia

The Point Wiki

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I think you're reading into it way too far. Watch the movie and you'll understand what the quote meant. You're overcomplicating it and making something beautiful into something grotesque and pointless.

Oh I'm sorry. Did I say something? I'll be sure to make sure that it's more to your liking the next time I do.

I didn't think it was pointless, rather more to the point. Maybe just not your point?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

No, not at all. My point was that it was a very heart-felt and intellectually stimulating sentiment, and your interpretation ignores everything that was used to illustrate it and takes off on a dime-a-dozen road trip to the nearest cliche comic shop for a readily-available Star Trek ripoff.

Originality does have its perks, you know. I'm also compelled to mention that in no part of the movie was any remotely religious tone even referred to, so I don't know what your point was in bringing that up in your response to my post.
edit on 7-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I want to thank everyone with there responses. I truelly appreciate them and seems there's a concensus to "Live, Love and Experiance" this existence we all reside in. So I want to expound and further "The Point"~ keeping in mind the above stated with personal experiance.

I am a new father, my daughter is 17 months old now. I am engaged to wed the woman of my dreams at times and at other... Well you seen the movie "Mr and Mrs Smith" where there in therapy and Brad Pitt goes something along the lines of "Somtimes (and motions that he wants to choke her in a very comedic manner)"... You get my drift?

This could never be closer to the truth. Sometimes it's glorious and at others it's as if WW3 was taking place (non abusive, mostly passive aggressive, snyde remarks) the banter that keeps on giving. The Point? Well, what is the point...

Everyone is at different stages in this life (So it feels and most of the time displays) many items seem so trivial, yet at times the small stuff can add up to a giant wad of crapola, causing a flow downhill. What causes this? There's always 2 sides to a story, 2 people interacting and there is always 1 that doesn't see things the way the other does... If they did this would be a perfect world.

Sometimes, I have to walk my beloved through why "Something is not as detrimental/severe" as she postulates. At times this can cause more friction but the after effect, when she comes to me and states "Baby, you were right... I'm sorry, thank you for being patient with me and explaining" always help at the end but is disturbing until "That point", so what's the point?

My father blatently drove the saying "Patience is of virtue, my son"... I guess one doesn't really know that meaning until later in life but it never rang more true. Patience can get anyone through the hardest of times, even when you want to snap off and so forth.

The above expressed can be broken down and re-iterated in several different formats, all applying itself to different scenerios.

There's been times where my patience has broken on ATS, by snyde or passive aggressive responses. Doesn't make it ok, and I appologies for it.

As every individual wants there voices heard, and "Someone" to understand there POV, individuality and personal experiance and knowledge come into play, this even off ATS in the "Real" makes it very difficult at times.

We as humans, can't always agree, to Experiance we must disagree at time, live those experiances and learn to love that much more.

I don't always "love" my beloved and on those days I have to work that much harder to express that love, doesn't mean I don't love her, just "Sometimes (motions to ring her neck in a comedic fashion)"~

Best regards, and I hope a snippet into my life made you laugh, chuckle, whatever the case, it is what it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join